Religion and Debt - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

An atheist-free area for those of religious belief to discuss religious topics.

Moderator: PoFo Agora Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. Religious topics may be discussed here or in The Agora. However, this forum is intended specifically as an area for those with religious belief to discuss religion without threads being derailed by atheist arguments. Please respect that. Political topics regarding religion belong in the Religion forum in the Political Issues section.
By redstarline
Do religions which forbid borrowing/lending money like mortgages, and earning interest etc also have a problem with debt?

I have to deal with a lot of people who owe money and wondered if this would be against their religion.
By Goranhammer
Any religion to claim that would be hypocritical. Organized religion is notorious for sapping money out of their believers. I guess you could justify it by calling it "theft" as opposed to borrowing.

Although, generally, I do follow the Shakespearian line of "Neither a borrower nor a lender be", there are just some times that isn't applicable. If that were followed in the strictest sense, nobody except elite Manhattan debutantes could go to college, and you'd have to pay for your house/car in cash. Fuck that.

I'd just tell these people that common sense should trump whatever hollow interpretation you may have from the Bible/Koran/Torah/whatever.
By redstarline
I just thought the threat of Hell and Damnation might hurry them along with their payments. They dont seem to be bothered by anything else.
By Odiseizam
from Christian perspective the problem is not borrowing but the interest from the borrower, especially when is engaged like usury i.e. not from mercy but from greed, and even when we help from empathy if we expect tit'for'tat that is not soteriological wish!

tho, one thing that bugs me is, can people make sacrifice if they borrow for others i.e. is it feat to throw yourself in fire and go to usurers so You would help someone, simply falling in sin from empathy is not Christian i.e. we should suffer and Pray for Mercy and Help from our Almighty Lord instead to pretend that we can resolve earthly traps of forgetfulness on small door, chasing escape even through gambling, almost ready to steal coz mercy, yeah hooding with charismatic excuses, crusaders came to mind, maybe even isisians in Islam too, but even good cause navigated by wrong elite can end up in abyss, tho even if we know that that is case we are not those Who Will Judge ...

... yet those who will lay their soul for others they will save it, so in a way The Salvation Is Art ... it could be said the same for those indebted too, the intention makes difference tho, still making idol from the money and even worst making mammonistic ideology from it will lead to damnation! interestingly, nowadays not rarely, as ruled by such Christians through their Prayers are keeping the current capitalistic system alive, almost as if Our Almighty Lord Providence is such so even those that are by causality bond to vices through inherited sins to have chance for Salvation, but how much we are close to forgetfulness through the secular humanistic trending (darwinism eugenics genetic and cyborg evolution) the question is how soon we will end up without chance for Salvation thus will provoke the Final Judgement ...

So far, lots of good comments and anecdotes - but […]

I bet you'd love to watch footage of her being ra[…]

I don't really think there is a fundamental diffe[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is because the definition of "anti-semi[…]