Vladimir Putin takes icy plunge to mark Orthodox Epiphany - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Guardian wrote:Vladimir Putin takes icy plunge to mark Orthodox Epiphany
Russian president joins millions in braving freezing temperatures for annual religious ritual

PutinEpiphanyDive.jpg
PutinEpiphanyDive.jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

Vladimir Putin has joined millions of Orthodox believers to plunge bare-chested into icy water in a Russian tradition marking the Epiphany.

Surrounded by Orthodox priests and glittering religious icons, and with the temperature hovering around -5C, the president lowered himself into the waters of Lake Seliger, 220 miles (350km) north-west of Moscow.

He was one of many Russians who submerged themselves in lakes and rivers in the annual ritual, which normally takes place on 18 and 19 January and last year saw 2 million people take the plunge.

State TV footage showed the president marching over the ice-covered lake in knee-high felt boots wearing a cream sheepskin coat as priests chanted and waved an incense lamp.

PutinBoots.jpg
PutinBoots.jpg (60.65 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

Asked by a journalist if it was cold, Putin replied: “No, it’s great.”

Stripping down to swimming trunks, the president then lowered himself into a hole cut in the ice, puffing slightly and crossing himself, a crucifix hanging around his neck. Holding his nose Putin then dipped under the water.

It was the first time the 65-year-old, who has often posed bare-chested on wilderness expeditions, publicly took part in the ritual.

However, his spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Putin had been “plunging into an ice hole for a number of years now”, the Tass state news agency reported.

Guardian

Putin>Clint Eastwood
Have to hand it to the man, he's manly and very fit for anyone his age. The only time Trump would ever plunge into an ice hole is with his plastic straw at the bottom of a slushie from McDonald's.
I heard some dork on Preet Bharara's podcast saying he challenges Putin to a fight, and that he'd win on the basis that he has a blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do vs Putin's background in Judo, and he's 30 years younger.

In fact, Tae Kwon Do is the quintessential Mcdojo martial art in the US (they are known to promote based on how much money they make off of you), and judo is very effective, with the Russians top notch at judo. (Plus, Putin probably also did sambo.) In addition, Tae Kwon Do guys are all about kicking, and if you try to kick a judo fighter, generally you end up on your back immediately.

Finally, on the age thing. A samurai might have seen himself as being similar to a samurai sword in certain ways. A samurai sword should be maintained, polished to abate dust and spots, and honed to keep sharp, lest it begin to rust and thereby lose its edge. This is a general case, but regardless of this, a truly exceptional blade will maintain its edge, even when the sword rusts. And an old, fat and drunk samurai could still be a dangerous guy to fuck with.

So, when it comes to the rust which comes along with age, the quality of the original stock of the blade (or the individual) still counts, is essentially what I am getting at.
I did Tae Kwon Do up to the point I was an adolescent. Later I did karate and judo. I can't speak for the entire TKD martial art, but it has a well-earned reputation for being "the more you spend the quicker you'll get your black belt." Equipment, belts, and fees add up to many thousands over a two-year period people do to earn a black belt. The style and quality is not the same as a martial art like judo. It's possible American TKD is relatively low in quality among other martial arts because it's sort of become a way for parents to replace daycare, but I'm absolutely not surprised a guy with a blackbelt in TKD (isn't difficult as long as you have the money) has an ego big enough to think he could beat a guy trained in judo. :lol:
Putin plays ice hockey too :D I saw it in that doco he did with Oliver Stone.

So according to wiki, this little baptism in icy water occurs because the Russian Orthodox believe the water has magical properties at this time of year.
I don’t know about magical properties, but I’m sure there is some benefit to ones circulation after that little escapade.
Bulaba Jones wrote:Have to hand it to the man, he's manly and very fit for anyone his age. The only time Trump would ever plunge into an ice hole is with his plastic straw at the bottom of a slushie from McDonald's.

By the way, you lose your ambassador under Russian influence! :)

https://chelorg.com/2018/01/21/u-s-amba ... e-baptism/

https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/327323-u ... s-ice-hole

He is still under checks and balances while other[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainly[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The claim is a conditional statement. This is one[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I don't know who are you are referring to, but th[…]