11-Year-Old Graduates College With Degree in Astrophysics - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
11-Year-Old Graduates College With Degree in Astrophysics

Like all of this year's graduates, Moshe Kai Cavalin is excited that he completed college, with a degree in astrophysics.

But unlike the majority of college grads, Cavalin is only 11 years old and stands 4 feet, 7 inches tall.

At the age of an average sixth-grader, Cavalin has gradated from East Los Angeles Community College. But, graduating college at 11 may not be his highest goal in life.

"I want to be a movie actor and compete in the 2016 Olympics in martial arts," Cavalin told NBC affliate Wood TV.

Cavalin has maintained an A-plus average in such subjects as algebra, history, astronomy and physical education.

"I don't consider myself a genius because there are 6.5 billion people in this world and each one is smart in his or her own way," Cavalin told Wood TV.

One of his primary interests is "wormholes," a hypothetical scientific phenomenon connected to Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. It has been theorized that if such holes do exist in space, they could — in tandem with black holes — allow for the kind of space-age time travel seen in science fiction.

"Just like black holes, they suck in particulate objects, and also like black holes, they also travel at escape velocity, which is, the speed to get out of there is faster than the speed of light," Cavalin says. "I'd like to prove that wormholes are really there and prove all the theories are correct."

Cavalin's professors can't recall having a younger student in their classes.
"He is the youngest college student I've ever taught and one of the hardest working," says Daniel Judge, his statistics professor. "He's actually a pleasure to have in class. He's a well- adjusted, nice little boy."

Cavalin was an 8-year-old freshman when he enrolled in Guajao Liao's intermediate algebra class in 2006. By the end of the term, Liao recalls, he was tutoring some of his 19- and 20-year-old classmates.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525254,00.html

By W01f
"I don't consider myself a genius because there are 6.5 billion people in this world and each one is smart in his or her own way," Cavalin told Wood TV.

And today in class we learn the difference between book smarts and intelligence.
By Nets
"I don't consider myself a genius because there are 6.5 billion people in this world and each one is smart in his or her own way,"

Don't be so humble, kid.

And ha! We have the same first name.

Anyways, how much you wanna bet that cast is from his parents breaking his hand for not studying hard enough.

In a way, I seriously pity this kid. Geniuses like this have a really hard time interacting with kids their own age, and it isn't like actual college students will hang out with him. They end up lonely. There is a really high rate of early suicide amongst prodigies like this. It is sad.
By skinster
Nets wrote:Anyways, how much you wanna bet that cast is from his parents breaking his hand for not studying hard enough.

:lol:
By Zyx
My new least favorite kid.

If he had waited a few weeks, I'd have graduated with a degree and been like, "Who cares?" Instead, he has a degree in Astrophysics before me. :hmm:

I almost feel like researching wormholes just to reject all of his publications out of spite.

F*ck this kid.
By QatzelOk
The disco wrist-band is so gay.
By Ter
Zyx wrote:F*ck this kid.

Hey, this is my thread. Take your sexual fantasies somewhere else.

Thank you.

Ter
By Donna
Zyx is upset because intellectual prodigies are overwhelmingly male.
By Zyx
Ter wrote:Hey, this is my thread. Take your sexual fantasies somewhere else.

You know what? I might just research wormholes, ask him to help me with some research and live out my fantasy.

F*ck yeah, bigger bodies for the win!

Hence Zyx became a man, joining his Western brothers in the system of using rape for intellectual domination. He eventually contracts chlamydia and with new legislation in effect is quarantined with other diseased folk, he's suddenly surrounded by other rapists bigger than him. After some amount of being on top through his cleverness, eventually he's dominated by larger and smaller folk. Soon his body collapses from the sheer abuse and he regrets ever having raped a young man who only wanted to advance the physical sciences. On the day of his suicide, unbeknownst to him, this young kid, bravely stands up to receive his Nobel in Physics where he still had the strength and dignity to cite one of Zyx's papers.

So falleth mediocre men.

Alas, jealousy truly kills.
By Infidelis
I just asked my 11-year old stepson if he knew what Astrophysics was. He said "no," and then started telling me about all the cool things on WoW...he must think they are connected somehow. :hmm:
By Unperson-K
Nets wrote:In a way, I seriously pity this kid. Geniuses like this have a really hard time interacting with kids their own age, and it isn't like actual college students will hang out with him. They end up lonely. There is a really high rate of early suicide amongst prodigies like this. It is sad.

There is also the problem of living up to the truly 'astronomical' expectations placed onto you by family and society.
By Igor Antunov
His brain is still able to absorb information just as it did when he was 1-2 years old, an ability we all had but then lost as we got older. I want that magic gene that prevents my brain from resuming it's spongy existence. Even as young as 6, I recall reading a childrens encyclopedia and remembering every single word on every single page after just 3 reads. Must have been thousands of words in there, I could visualise every page and just read it in my head.

But sadly aging kills us in more ways than one. Damn it. I feel infinitely dumber and slower of mind now than I did as a 10 year old.
By Capitalist
Even as young as 6, I recall reading a childrens encyclopedia and remembering every single word on every single page after just 3 reads......

.....But sadly aging kills us in more ways than one.

It seems to be quite a coincidence that this ability of accelerated learning drops off once a child enters the education system. :hmm:
By Igor Antunov
Heavy learning should begin in kindergarten and year 1. None of this ABC bullcrap, we need to have a far more intensive system in place as early as possible, because a child will absorb info far faster at an earlier age. The only issue is a short attention span, but this can be remedied in various ways.
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
:eek: congrats to the kid. He seems like a normal kid, pretty naive, but that is very impressive.
By Zyx
I honestly don't know what the kid is talking about. Black holes travel at the escape velocity. What? That doesn't even make any sense. Maybe he's speaking in some academic tongue that I'm unfamiliar with, but claiming that a body travels at its own escape velocity hardly makes sense.

He's just a kid who can take tests. Big deal!

*jealous.*

*I don't even think there are consequences if something travels at its own escape velocity. Although, that may be quite an interesting thing to explore. That's quite a good idea to look into!
By Igor Antunov
Well for starters the kid is wrong about black holes 'sucking in' objects. They don't suck in anything. He needs to brush up on astrophysics 101.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

But two super wrongs do not make a right. agree

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octob[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]