Farah Fawcett dies - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
By Gletkin
What? No one made a thread of this yet?
I heard of her death before I heard of Mr. Bleach's.

Oh well then....
Her swimsuit poster launched a thousand male fantasies.
Her feathered locks made curling irons de rigueur for women and kick-started the most pervasive hair trend of the '70s.
She was Hollywood's penultimate golden girl. And, now, Farrah Fawcett, who epitomized the all-American ideal of beauty, has died after a three-year battle with cancer. She was 62. Her spokesman, Paul Bloch, says Fawcett died Thursday morning in a Santa Monica hospital.

In September 2006, Fawcett learned she had anal cancer. The devastating news led to a reconciliation with her on-and-off boyfriend, Ryan O'Neal, 68, the father of their troubled son, Redmond, 24. O'Neal was by her side as Fawcett went through chemotherapy and radiation treatments, and the actress was declared cancer-free in February 2007. But later that spring, she learned the cancer had returned. After growing weary of ineffective treatments in the USA, Fawcett traveled to Germany in September 2007 for alternative cancer therapies....

...."I'm holding on to the hope that there is some reason I got cancer and that there is something, that may not be very clear to me right now, that I will do," Fawcett said in an interview filmed for the documentary, according to Access Hollywood....

....Fawcett herself sometimes thwarted her attempts to maintain her momentum as a serious Hollywood actress. In the face of her lifelong quest for critical respect, Fawcett was 50 when she agreed to pose for Playboy magazine. She also released a Playboy video, All of Me, in which she paints using her much-admired body as a paintbrush. She made headlines for the wrong reasons with a dazed appearance June 6, 1997, on Late Show With David Letterman and her January 1998 brawl with then-boyfriend producer James Orr, which left her bruised. A 2005 TV Land reality show, Chasing Farrah, was short-lived and quickly forgotten.

Not even Fawcett could explain her own appeal. "But it's something I can't escape," she told Texas Monthly in its January 1997 issue. "I was in Houston recently visiting my parents, and we went to one of those chicken-fried-steak restaurants. Redmond and I had just been Rollerblading. I was wearing no makeup, and I hadn't done anything to my hair, and this 175-pound woman came up to me and shouted, 'Farrah, how can you let yourself go like this? You are Farrah Fawcett!' Then she asked me to sign an autograph because Charlie's Angels had been her favorite show. I thought, 'Sometimes it isn't worth it. The fame is just not worth it.' "

She got sick of her own photos, telling LIFE that "there have been way too many" of them out there of her. Her looks became the curse that she could never escape, she told Entertainment Weekly in 1996.

"I see T-shirts everywhere, with my face, my poster," she said. "In Saudi Arabia they're using photographs of me — not only from Charlie's Angels but from when I did ads for Faberge shampoo — to advertise everything: clothes, food, vitamins. It's almost like I couldn't stop it even if I wanted to."

After years of friction and fighting her Angels notoriety, Fawcett finally embraced it in recent years and reunited with her fellow Angels at the 2006 Emmys, walking out on stage with Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith.

But Fawcett's longing to be taken seriously and escape her larger-than-life persona stayed with her to the end.

All of Me....I think I have that lying around somewhere.

Oh yeah....I'd forgotten that she had anal cancer.
Someone use a carcinogenic condom or something?

Sorry, sorry....disrespect for the dead. But for a sex symbol to die of something like anal or vaginal cancer....well it's just somewhat ironic I guess.

Rest In Peace babe. I think Cheryl Tiegs is hotter, but Vaya con Dios Farrah.
By Oxymoron
Very tragic, and the Papparazzi should be executed.
By Dave
She was Hollywood's penultimate golden girl

Do journalists just not know how to write anymore? Who pray tell was the last golden girl? :roll:
By Lightman
It's USA Today, Dave. You have to expect these things. :lol:
By Dave
What's wrong with USA Today exactly? I know it always gets dumped on but let's be real, America's "respectable" newspapers regularly print...fabrications. The best mainstream newspaper I can think of, bizarrely, is the Christian Science Monitor.
By Lightman
The quality of writing is very poor. I can confirm, however, that our President does in fact read it at least occasionally.
By QatzelOk
"I see T-shirts everywhere, with my face, my poster," she said. "In Saudi Arabia they're using photographs of me — not only from Charlie's Angels but from when I did ads for Faberge shampoo — to advertise everything: clothes, food, vitamins. It's almost like I couldn't stop it even if I wanted to."

We'll all remember where we were when this Great Human Being passed on.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is boring to have this discussion be about how […]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]