Brouhaha over Sasha Grey reading to schoolkids - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
#13831167
Ex-Porn Star Reads to School Kids
by Alyssa Newcomb
ABC News
Nov 12, 2011
Former porn star Sasha Grey took her talents a less adult audience by visiting Emerson Elementary School and reading a book to students, which caused the school to receive several complaints and at first deny Grey’s visit, TMZ reported.
“We have several celebrities who read to our students each year,” a spokesperson for the school told TMZ. “The actress you indicated was not present.”
But photographs uncovered by the entertainment website and a tweet by the actress told a different story.

“Spent the am with Read Across America Compton, reading to the sweetest 1st and 3rd grade students @ Emerson Elementary,” Grey tweeted.

A spokesperson for Read Across America told ABCNews.com that Grey was not affiliated with the program.

Grey responded to the backlash from her visit Friday by telling the entertainment site: “I believe education is a universal right. I committed to this program with the understanding that people would have their own opinions about what I have done, who I am and what I represent.”

The ex-porn star, who made her last adult film two years ago, most recently appeared on the television series “Entourage” playing herself.
#13831268
Sasha Grey is one of the most annoying pseudo-intellectuals on the planet. She doesn't seem to understand that no one takes a person who sucks dicks for a living seriously as far as intellectualism goes.

What exactly is the goal in having a professional penis sucker read to children? They shouldn't even know who she is.
#13831408
Gletkin wrote:I didn't know that Neuromancer had been adopted to film.

It was live performance. Theatre. And if I recall, the whole thing was only a few scenes from the book, with 'Molly' being the narrator.
#13831591
W01f wrote:Sasha Grey is one of the most annoying pseudo-intellectuals on the planet. She doesn't seem to understand that no one takes a person who sucks dicks for a living seriously as far as intellectualism goes.

What exactly is the goal in having a professional penis sucker read to children? They shouldn't even know who she is.


How is reading to children even close to intellectualism? Even Forrest Gump can do that.
#13831608
Sasha Grey is one of the most annoying pseudo-intellectuals on the planet. She doesn't seem to understand that no one takes a person who sucks dicks for a living seriously as far as intellectualism goes.

So we shouldn't take housewives seriously either? I beg to differ.

What exactly is the goal in having a professional penis sucker read to children? They shouldn't even know who she is.

Someone doing porn automatically excludes them from charitable work? It's not like this is some "reading with celebs" group. You yourself could volunteer, maybe if you did and got others to do so as well there would be no need for a porn star to do it. Of course everyone knows you have no interest in that sort of non-profit work unless it involves Sasha Grey, why would you? So what drives you to care now?

It's not like she has cooties or anything just because she has sex for money. It's a myth that breathing the same air as a person who is involved with many people will give you an STD. They are after all not airborne.
#13831625
Imperial Spaghetti wrote:Oh. You know a lot about her for someone who thinks she is flaky--outside the dick-sucking arena, of course.

I know more than I'd like to about a lot of people I dislike. What's your point?

Takkon wrote:Someone doing porn automatically excludes them from charitable work?

With Children? Yeah. It's especially strange that in doing so she's claiming to be affiliated with an organization that wants nothing to do with her. Sounds like she's just looking for publicity based on her comments.

How naive would one have to be to believe a porn star would go to a random elementary school and read to a bunch of kids out of the goodness of their own heart? She's a porn star; pragmatic, opportunistic and shameless by trade.

Takkon wrote:You yourself could volunteer, maybe if you did and got others to do so as well there would be no need for a porn star to do it. Of course everyone knows you have no interest in that sort of non-profit work

Hey let's make baseless assumptions about the lives of complete strangers on the internet. That's always a fruitful way to debate.
#13831643
With Children? Yeah.

Well that's just like your opinion man.

It's especially strange that in doing so she's claiming to be affiliated with an organization that wants nothing to do with her. Sounds like she's just looking for publicity based on her comments.

The school district denies her involvement probably because they were not aware she was a porn star when she went to the school. And I agree she should have simply registered a "no comment" to the press and been done with the whole issue. That doesn't change the fact that she is 23, interested in charitable work, and is more than entitled to work with this program. Are you going to follow her for the rest of her life making sure she never hangs around children (despite being a mother), or can't you just admit that maybe the only reason you even register that she did such a thing is that it was concocted as news and then repeated ad nauseum in the cycles?

How naive would one have to be to believe a porn star would go to a random elementary school and read to a bunch of kids out of the goodness of their own heart? She's a porn star; pragmatic, opportunistic and shameless by trade.

Your suppositions are none of my concern. Tell me, have you volunteered for this charity? If not, why do you care who they allow to volunteer for them?
#13831689
W01f wrote:I know more than I'd like to about a lot of people I dislike. What's your point?

The point is your dislike seems way out of proportion, insulting her vulgarly just because she reads to kids. Your reaction says a lot more about you and how you view porn stars than her and what kind of a person she is.

W01f wrote:Sounds like she's just looking for publicity based on her comments.

Well, she could have just released a sex tape, but then she's already been there...done that...so she's Benjamin Buttoning her way into showbusiness. I just don't get why you get so bent out of shape over it. There are a lot of sluts in Hollywood. Live with it.
#13831971
Takkon wrote:That doesn't change the fact that she is 23, interested in charitable work, and is more than entitled to work with this program.

Entitled how? Is any random stranger entitled to read to your child without your consent?

I'm more worried about childrens' entitlement to an education without potential exposure to that line of work.

Takkon wrote:Your suppositions are none of my concern. Tell me, have you volunteered for this charity? If not, why do you care who they allow to volunteer for them?

If my suspicions are of none of your concern then why are you arguing? As far as my work with this organization goes, I don't live in America for starters. Not that it makes a difference.

Imperial Spaghetti wrote:The point is your dislike seems way out of proportion, insulting her vulgarly just because she reads to kids. Your reaction says a lot more about you and how you view porn stars than her and what kind of a person she is.

Calling her an annoying pseudo-intellectual is hardly vulgar. And you're right, I don't view porn stars who pretend to be morally righteous in a very good light. Surprised? Chances are she's realized how badly she's fucked up the rest of her life/potential career in entertainment, and now she's trying to do some damage control, which would be fine if it didn't involve using children.
#13831977
Chances are she's realized how badly she's fucked up the rest of her life/potential career in entertainment, and now she's trying to do some damage control, which would be fine if it didn't involve using children.

Actually, her porn work has made her world famous. Even the international masterminds of PoFo are focusing our brilliant analytic intellects on her exploits in this thread. If she hadn't gone into porn, woud anyone have ever heard of her? If she's clever, she can parlay her porn credentials into a successful showbiz career. I believe she's already starred in a Steve Soderbergh movie....
#13831987
W01f wrote:Calling her an annoying pseudo-intellectual is hardly vulgar.

You said she "sucks dick for a living." That was kind of uncalled for and pretty vulgar to me, considering your graphic choice of words.

And you're right, I don't view porn stars who pretend to be morally righteous in a very good light. Surprised? Chances are she's realized how badly she's fucked up the rest of her life/potential career in entertainment, and now she's trying to do some damage control, which would be fine if it didn't involve using children.

You hate porn stars, okay, but why use the children as an excuse to express your disgust? They probably enjoyed the story and have no idea who she is.

I totally agree with Potemkin. Doing porn early jumpstarted her mainstream career. If she has talent remains to be seen, though. I saw the Soderbergh movie, and the character she played seemed too close to her real self. Let's wait for her Erin Brokovich before judging.
#13831990
Potemkin wrote:Actually, her porn work has made her world famous. Even the international masterminds of PoFo are focusing our brilliant analytic intellects on her exploits in this thread. If she hadn't gone into porn, woud anyone have ever heard of her? If she's clever, she can parlay her porn credentials into a successful showbiz career. I believe she's already starred in a Steve Soderbergh movie....

It's clever until we realize that not many producers want to cast an actress who, with a couple of mouse clicks, you can watch getting facefucked and DP'd in HD video. Especially one who can't actually act. But either way, the idea that this reading to children thing is anything but career oriented opportunism is laughable.

Imperial Spaghetti wrote:You said she "sucks dick for a living."

It's 100% factual, not an insult. I couldn't care less if you don't like my choice of words.

Imperial Spaghetti wrote:You hate porn stars, okay

No I don't. Only ones who don't know their place in society, ie. as glorified whores. I also dislike Ron Jeremy for this reason. Mixing porn with pop culture is detrimental to society.
#13832021
Entitled how? Is any random stranger entitled to read to your child without your consent?

No, but that's not really what happened and you know that. The parents likely consented to this in some sort of roundabout way, so there's no legal argument against it. After all if it was pretty much any other random stranger no one would give a crap.

I'm more worried about childrens' entitlement to an education without potential exposure to that line of work.

Oh yeah I'm sure they introduced her as Sasha Grey the anal enthusiast.

If my suspicions are of none of your concern then why are you arguing?

We are discussing your suspicions, I just don't want to get into an argument over guesswork, because it's all baseless. How can I defend Grey if I have no reason to believe that you are incorrect, nor reason to believe that you are correct?
Election 2024 Thread

@blackjack21 , hello friend, in response to my c[…]

Election 2020

@Yggdrasill , again, it's not on me to provide e[…]

VP Kamala Harris endorses riots...

Further, the Texas vision of energy for the last […]

Is USA a Plutocracy?

So if 'Trumpism' applies to Trump supporters, wh[…]