The ‘Trans-phobic’ Wisecrack that Cost One Man his Job - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
The ‘Trans-phobic’ Wisecrack that Cost One Man his Job

By Ian Miles Cheong | 1:59 pm, September 6, 2016

There’s no appeasing the adherents of political correctness. When a content producer for the Magic: The Gathering organization TCGPlayer, Ali Aintrazi, made an inappropriate joke to someone at an event, he lost his job for it.

In his own public apology on Facebook, Aintrazi described how he “sexually harassed” a woman at the event when he jokingly asked her if he could “cop a feel.” Unbeknownst to him, the person he spoke to was a transgender woman named Amanda Stevens, and not simply a man in drag.

In his apology, Aintrazi says he did not intend to hurt this woman or to make her friends uncomfortable with his remark. Most of the letter consists of self-flagellation about how intent isn’t important and how he wishes to promote a safe space for anyone regardless of gender orientation.

“I’m sorry because what I did wasn’t just hurtful to trans women, like the woman I harassed, but to all women,” he wrote.

According to Stevens’ own account, Aintrazi approached her because he thought she was a man wearing a stuffed bra as a joke, and that he was joining in on the joke by making the inappropriate comment. It’s hard to imagine Stevens “passing” as a woman — something even Stevens herself admits.

“I’ll be honest. I don’t pass. I don’t have some delusion that I look like a normative cisgender female. I accept this. And as someone who also identifies as genderqueer, it is not something I am terribly concerned with. I don’t think Ali came up to me because he thought I was a cisgender woman,” she wrote on Medium.

Because she took offense, Stevens demanded Aintrazi be removed from the venue. In Stevens’ own recollection of the events, Aintrazi attempted to apologize, but she told him that his opportunity to apologize had long since passed.

“As the victim in the matter, I don’t owe Ali anything. I don’t have to accept his apology. I do not have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t have to be someone’s teachable moment,” she wrote before going on to express her outrage about how his apology earned him unmerited commendations from his readers.

On Facebook, a transgender friend of Aintrazi’s wrote a long piece admonishing her friend for his supposed crime and supporting Stevens, who she says is only guilty of “snitching” and not responsible for TCGPlayer’s actions to suspend Aintrazi.

“It is important to understand that at the end of the day, what was done was not funny, was not a joke, and wasn’t tolerable,” she wrote. “It was sexual harassment, and a company decided to cut ties instead of save face with an employee.”

Other prominent voices within the community were quick to condemn Aintrazi, along with his apology, stating that it simply wasn’t enough and accused him of hiding his “transphobic assumptions.”

I like jokes, but if you fuck up this bad, your apology better OWN your transphobic assumptions, not hide them. https://t.co/FEb8iow8kY

— Matt Sperling (@mtg_law_etc) August 30, 2016

Based on only plausible reason Ali makes that joke, @sagegnosis is so much closer to reality on the facts of what happened than @AliEldrazi.

"apologize & move on" is pretty shitty/silencing if the apologizer isn't giving an honest account of what happened. @sagegnosis @AliEldrazi

As a result of the outcry, TCGPlayer has indefinitely suspended Aintrazi from his job in spite of his apology and clarification. The organization’s content director, Adam Styborski, sayss that he has since urged Aintrazi to reach out to the trans community to “understand their perspective and insight into the harm he caused, as well as share his informed thoughts through his large Facebook presence” and spread the Good News of social justice, no doubt.

Styborski says that the organization will “continue to be challenged to understand the harm he caused.” The organization has disabled comments on their announcement, stating: “This statement is not meant for discussion or debate.”

Transgender people are not a monolithic entity, but they’re certainly being treated as such—and organizations like TCGPlayer continue to infantilize adults who should know better than to feign offense at everything, especially when there was no intentional malice.

Heat Street

Aside from the clusterfuck of insanity that is described in this article, funnier is Heat Street referring to this guy with a female pronoun. Just look at that picture. :lol:
It's sad to witness how the crazies have taken control of the asylum. I really don't get this kowtowing to mentally ill people.

Essentially, it's an overreaction to their earlier systematic mistreatment in the past. Some time in the 1990s, somebody discovered that nignogs, queers and trannies are also human beings with human feelngs, and they've never quite recovered from that revelation. :roll:

Give it a few decades, things will probably settle down into something approaching sanity. Maybe.
Decky wrote::lol: It is funny because it only really effects middle class people.

Well actually this heavy-handed approach towards LGTB rights is inspired by working class norms, values and prejudices. That's where all the hysterics come from. In order to inculcate the working class masses with new values and norms the liberal elite promotes an outrage culture in order to cow people into submission.
Yea but this nonsense only actually gets accepted in middle class workplaces so it is funny rather than annoying. Do you think a scaffholder or a binman has ever lost his job for making a transphobic joke? :lol: We are around sane people all day whereas the middle class are living in an asylum.
The only thing this kind of hysteria will produce is a loss of patience for crazy minorities' antics. First stirrings of this impatience are already showing in all Western countries.
Frollein wrote:The only thing this kind of hysteria will produce is a loss of patience for crazy minorities' antics. First stirrings of this impatience are already showing in all Western countries.

Yes, the people will rise up and fight against this awful tyranny of trans people wanting to not be targets of discrimination.

Also, please provide evidence for your claim that all trans people are mentally ill. I ask this because your transphobic "arguments" are getting repetitive and I want to point out that they are based on nothing more than your feelings.
Its all pretty minor in most cases. Still, losing your job is no small thing for an this individual.

We need to establish the line between being understanding, tolerant while accepting not everyone accepts gender and sex are actually different things. It is not only conservatives that think this of course. Many feminists - julie bendal and germaine greer come to mind - also hold this view.

There is no proof that people are actually living in the wrong body and more than there is 'proof' that it is a mental illness. You cannot demand people truly accept them as the gender they choose as a material fact. Only as a harmless 'lifestyle choice' or just something that improves their lives without hurting others. I think this is the basis for progress. Basic tolerance and politeness.
I have no trouble with people losing their jobs if they are caught being racist or sexist or transphobic. While I believe in free speech, that right does not mean one should not be accountable for what one has said.

I do not care if people do not accept trans people as the gender they choose. I just want them to back them up what they say if they say something awful.
You don't even know what 'mental illness' is, Pants-of-dog.

These discussions typically involve the history, background, politics, professional applications, consensus of national and international organizations and all types of associated lines of argumentation pertaining to mental illness. But at the end the day it's still a grown man dressed up as a girl, burdening others with his aberrant behaviour.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, the people will rise up and fight against this awful tyranny of trans people wanting to not be targets of discrimination.

Also, please provide evidence for your claim that all trans people are mentally ill. I ask this because your transphobic "arguments" are getting repetitive and I want to point out that they are based on nothing more than your feelings.

Oh, seems I found the SJW button again. And no, I won't jump through your hoops. A man dressing up as a woman is no more a woman as a man dressing up as a pony is a pony. Any claims that "gender is really only a social convention" are simply that: claims. They're not science, they're just liberal ideology going into hysterical overdrive.
Seems like a pretty stupid joke to make in any case. Why even make that joke to a man dressed in drag? If you are an employee of a company, you have to put your best foot forward at all times. Ultimately the company decided to part ways probably not because of the joke itself but because of the headache it would have caused. There are probably plenty of well-qualified people willing to take the job that will be more professional.

There are some here who are applying for permanen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So if they are disarming the Ukrainian army why i[…]

The IDF did not raid the hospital until February 1[…]

Well that[']s the thing.. he was wrong A paper, […]