A New Victim in the War on Small Bakeries - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
It is not enough for family-owned pastry shops to bow to the gay marriage mob. Now, they're being targeted by the social justice mafia.

At my alma mater, radical Oberlin College in Ohio (which boasts hapless Baltimore mayor and rioters' champion Stephanie Rawlings Blake and bizarro feminist actress and fake rape accuser Lena Dunham as graduates), the operators of a small-business bakery are under siege by vengeful students and administrators trying to crush them under the wheels of the race-baiters' bandwagon. The true victim in this latest tale of political correctness run amok is Gibson's Bakery -- a quaint shop founded in 1885 that still bakes all its goods using original recipes.

On Nov. 9, according to the city police report I obtained, shop employee Allyn Gibson caught a 19-year-old Oberlin College student allegedly stealing two bottles of wine and hiding them under his shirt. As officers approached the area, Oberlin Police Sgt. (Victor) Ortiz, and Officer (Raymond) Feuerstein both stated they observed Gibson lying on his back with several individuals kneeling over him punching and kicking him with several other individuals in the immediate area. Officers attempted to gain control of the situation and were met several times with resistance from several different individuals."

Allyn Gibson attempted to stop the alleged thief, Jonathan Aladin, from leaving the store and tried to take a photo of him as he bolted. Gibson got whacked in the face with his own phone. Aladin then reportedly ran while throwing the two bottles of wine on the floor, becoming "violent" and "grabbing and hitting Allyn." Aladin ran out with two females who were with him in the store. Gibson followed and tried to detain the alleged shoplifter again on the street.

Gibson's right as a shop employee to detain a suspected thief with probable cause until police arrive is protected under Ohio statute. As the females punched and kicked him, police officers who had arrived on scene during the beating wrote:

"Allyn had several abrasions and minor injuries including what appeared to be a swollen lip, abrasions to his arms and wrists and a small cut on his neck."

Aladin was charged with robbery and inflicting harm and faces a court hearing in the case this week. The two females, Endia Lawrence and Cecelia Whettstone, were charged with assault.

You can guess what happened next. Aladin, who is black, became the new poster boy of institutional racism and oppression. Students organized protests and shrieked about "racial profiling," claiming that the bakery had a history of discriminating against customers "of color."

It gets worse. Leading the charge in the latest War on Small-Biz Bakeries is the Oberlin College dean of students, Meredith Raimondo, who joined the baying mob in bullying the Gibson family. She disseminated flyers libelously asserting that Gibson's is a "racist establishment with a long account of racial profiling and discrimination." Convicted in the crazy Oberlin College court of public opinion, the school refused to renew its longstanding daily order of donuts and bagels. For a small business with razor-thin margins, losing that order could be devastating.

Never mind that the "racism" charge is a brazen lie. As the police department pointed out, since 2011, there had been four robberies at the store including Aladin's, "and he was the only black person. There were 40 adults arrested for shoplifting in five years, and 32 were white. There were six adult black suspects arrested and two Asians, and 33 of the 40 were college students."

And never mind that Trey James, a Gibson's employee who is himself black, bluntly told the student newspaper that race had nothing to do with the incident. "If you're caught shoplifting, you're going to end up getting arrested," he told the Oberlin Review. "When you steal from the store, it doesn't matter what color you are. You can be purple, blue, green -- if you steal, you get caught, you get arrested."

Never mind, either, that Oberlin is ground zero in fake hate crime claims -- from the notorious 2013 sighting of a "KKK robe-wearing" menace on campus who turned out to be a female student wearing a blanket to Lena Dunham's disgraceful attempt to blame a college Republican for sexually assaulting her. She retracted the story after Breitbart.com blogger John Nolte and others in new media exposed the hoax.

Back in the 1990s, Asian-American students claimed that a phantom racist had spray-painted anti-Asian racial epithets on a campus landmark rock. It turned out that it was a warped Asian-American student who perpetrated the dirty deed. During my time there, a black student accused the elder Mr. Gibson of racism after he told the student she was not allowed to sit at an outside table because she hadn't purchased any items from his store.

Ohio talk radio host Bob Frantz, who has rallied sane, decent and hard-working members of the community to support the Gibson family, told me a Facebook page supporting the bakery had been censored by Facebook. (No surprise: Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg is a fervent, damn-the-facts supporter of Black Lives Matter.)

It is time for real justice to prevail over truth-sabotaging, violence-stoking, thug-coddling social justice. If you are not actively fighting the mob, you're enabling it.

Real Clear Politics

I've actually seen this argument referenced one other time that I vaguely remember, which is that black people should be allowed to commit minor crimes. I guess some SJW college students would believe that a small business would randomly assault someone in a college town for being black, so maybe that is their argument. What's certain I think is more embarrassment for this school that is apparently becoming notorious for hoaxes.
I'm sorry, do you have any other source for this besides a poorly-written opinion piece by Michelle Malkin? It's not that I don't think she's telling the half-truth, I just don't see how this could be the whole story. Obviously if what she's saying is true then I see no racism here, but it seems a little extreme for a university official to be calling out a business as racist when they have been doing business with that bakery for what appears to be a long time.
SJW's (a group that doesn't exist) have no authority over the police department, who are prosecuting everybody involved in this case to the fullest extent of the law.

So I found another source for this story that is saying that the incident was just the catalyst for the boycott, not necessarily the justification. The reason for the boycott is stories from students and faculty of feeling racially profiled while shopping at the store. I'm not going to make a comment on the veracity of the claims, but I will point out that it's a little misleading to say that the incident was the reason for the boycott. Maybe it's just chickens coming home to roost?

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... ery_g.html
People of colour steal more often, this leads employees to be more coutious towards customers of colour.

What do SJWs do? Reject reality. Blame the racist white boogeyman again.

Black guy steals from the store again = racism!

Conclusion the noble SJWs make? Stealing and breaking the law was justified.

What should be done? Start stealing from SJWs, they think its fine.
SJW's (a group that doesn't exist) have no authority over the police department, who are prosecuting everybody involved in this case to the fullest extent of the law.

So I found another source for this story that is saying that the incident was just the catalyst for the boycott, not necessarily the justification. The reason for the boycott is stories from students and faculty of feeling racially profiled while shopping at the store. I'm not going to make a comment on the veracity of the claims, but I will point out that it's a little misleading to say that the incident was the reason for the boycott. Maybe it's just chickens coming home to roost?

This makes it worse than the original story. It appears to be a transparent lie. Claiming the boycott was a coincidence is a coincidence any person with common sense would seriously doubt. "Yeah, you exposed our idiocy, but it is not what you think it is, let me tell you a lie to make it all right."
@Albert yet both the stories show that whites were the ones doing most of the stealing/robberies. Blacks were the ones that felt unwelcome in the store though. Hmmm, something in your racist point of view doesn't add up.

@One Degree coincidence? Who said anything about a coincidence? I called it a catalyst, and the Senate implied that it brought attention to the problem and made other people step forward. Besides, I thought your whole thing was letting local communities decide for themselves how to deal with problems?
@One Degree coincidence? Who said anything about a coincidence? I called it a catalyst, and the Senate implied that it brought attention to the problem and made other people step forward. Besides, I thought your whole thing was letting local communities decide for themselves how to deal with problems?

Yes, coincidence was a poor choice of words.
You have just pointed out what I really was trying to get to. If the people did not step forward till after the incident, then you have justification for assuming they are lying. It has been a common occurrence and therefore is suspect.
The local community is not deciding anything here. A few people at a university are trying to. A person who considered themselves part of the community would have filed a complaint against the bakery long ago, not waited till this happened to complain. Whoopi Goldberg syndrome, "I just feel it"
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:@Albert yet both the stories show that whites were the ones doing most of the stealing/robberies. Blacks were the ones that felt unwelcome in the store though. Hmmm, something in your racist point of view doesn't add up.

"We looked at arrests for shoplifting at Gibson's for the past five years to see if there was evidence of racism," he said. "Since 2011, there have been four robberies at the store, including Aladin, and he was the only black person. There were 40 adults arrested for shoplifting in five years, and 32 were white. There were six black suspects arrested and two Asians, and 33 of the 40 were college students."
Then wtf is the problem? Why are there dumbasses protesting "racial profiling" when there is non to begin with.

I even support racial profiling because it makes sense, but there is even non here to begin with.

Man SJWs are dumber then I thought.
It is kind of a nothing story from the point of view of a left winger. Middle class identify politics nuts against a middle class capitalist. I hope the conflict goes on as long as possible with them inflicting as much damage on each other as is possible.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]