Would you become a vegetarian? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
There are affordable meat substitutes in the west so do you envisage yourself ever becoming a vegetarian for health reasons.

A trial has begun in South Dakota over a meat processer's claim that it was defamed by ABC News reporting that dubbed its product "pink slime".
Beef Products Inc (BPI) argues ABC and its journalist ruined its reputation in 2012 reports on "lean finely textured beef", as the industry calls it.
BPI says ABC's "disinformation campaign" caused the meat processer's revenues to drop by 80%.
They are suing ABC for up to $5.7bn (£4.4bn) in damages.
During a hearing in January, a lawyer for BPI told the judge that ABC had engaged in "fake news".
In the reporting by ABC's Jim Avila, the term "pink slime" was used 137 times, as he described the process which creates it.
The beef trimmings are placed in a centrifuge in order to separate the lean meat from fat, before it is treated with ammonia to remove bacteria.
The term "pink slime" was coined by Gerald Zirnstein, a former Agriculture Department scientist, who initially used it in an email to colleagues in 2002.
Grocery stores across America dropped products containing "pink slime" after the ABC reports aired.
The processed trimmings were also once found in fast-food served by McDonald's, Taco Bell and Burger King.
BPI, which primarily produces the beef trimmings, shut down three of its four production plants following the reports.
ABC lawyers argue they are protected under the US constitution's first amendment, which ensures a free press.
The television network, which is owned by Walt Disney Company, argues that BPI must prove ABC's reporters acted with "actual malice" to harm the company.
"We believe in the principle that people deserve to know what's in the food they eat and are confident that when all the facts are presented in court, ABC's reporting will be fully vindicated," said Kevin Baine, a lawyer representing ABC.
The trial in the rural town of Elk Point, population 2,000, just north of BPI's headquarters, is expected to last eight weeks.

BBC
For health reasons, no. For the economy and environment (and I suppose animals), probably mostly, yea. I wouldn't call it being a "vegetarian" though.

The fact is that meat production is incredibly resource intensive and expensive. Hence the pink slime use.

Assuming that they can produce synthetic meat that is passable in taste and texture, I see absolutely no problem, at least for low-grade products like hamburgers (I'd presume a good steak would be hard to grow). I'm a big fan of cultivating algae as a base for everything from food to containers. Muck is the future!
For what it's worth pink slime is only distasteful looking.

I eat almost entirely poultry for meat. Probably not going to stop on the grounds that I literally hate birds and think they deserve what they get.

Now let's wait for a massive fight to ensue.
I'm not a vegetarian, but about two years ago I wanted to feel better and needed to lose some weight. So I changed my diet to many more vegetables instead of a lot of meat. For example, before at dinner I might eat say 4 chicken legs and little else, I now eat say 2 chicken legs and a lot of vegetables.

I also started eating healthier snacks, substituting raw nuts for potato chips, pretzels, etc.

The good news is I've lost around 20 pounds, and two pants sizes, without having to go on some sort of "special diet program." I simply adjusted my normal eating to a healthier style and the weight came off naturally without any aggravation or suffering from hunger. I also feel much better as well, more energy etc, which is important with me because I do not do drugs, I don't even drink coffee. My job requires high energy and focus, and with this diet, I got myself back to where I wanted to be and actually better than before.

So it is a good thing to substitute vegetables for meat. Whether or not someone wishes to go all out vegetarian is their own personal call.
I'm sure poultry isn't the only meat you eat Mike. ;)

Anyway my usual stance applies, vegetarians should have their kids removed to be raised by normal people, vegetarians have a serious mental health problem etc etc. No one has ever heard of a working class vegetarian it is a middle class illness and it should not be taken seriously as a moral stance. If a cow had the chance it would eat you and everyone you love.
stephen50right wrote:<<< Humans are biologically herbivorous >>>

Yea, tell that to the wolly monmonth who went extinct because of us, or the American buffalo who almost went extinct because of us - they might disagree with that. :)

Woolly mammoth went extinct because of severe environmental changes during the younger Dryas period. There is z=almost no proof that humans had anything to do with this mass extinction event.
mikema63 wrote:I eat almost entirely poultry for meat. Probably not going to stop on the grounds that I literally hate birds and think they deserve what they get.

If that's farmed meat then you're supporting the breeding of poultry and propping up their numbers. From an evolutionary perspective chickens are one of the most successful organisms on the planet with billions of them being born (hatched?) every year.

No demand, no supply.

I'm in the same camp as steve. I'm a reductionist and it's helped me lose 12kg over the past 6 months. Nuts are expensive though.
AFAIK wrote:If that's farmed meat then you're supporting the breeding of poultry and propping up their numbers. From an evolutionary perspective chickens are one of the most successful organisms on the planet with billions of them being born (hatched?) every year.

No demand, no supply.

I'm in the same camp as steve. I'm a reductionist and it's helped me lose 12kg over the past 6 months. Nuts are expensive though.

<<< Nuts are expensive though >>>

They are, but I figure my health is worth it.

If ya try that, to do it properly for health and diet, it has to be the raw ones, no others such as salted, roasted, etc.

Walnuts, almonds, and pecans are the best in my view. Some others may be healthy as well, but these three are plentiful and readily available.

Congrats on the weight loss! :)
I enjoy eating food that is tasty and has no meat. Middle Eastern and Indian dishes that are vegetarian are particularly fantastic. If I lived somewhere where people shunned eating meat, and meat simply wasn't available, I wouldn't have a problem. Normally, around half of my meals tend to not have meat; however, I would be unhappy if I couldn't have the occasional steak and such.
I am not much of a meat eater, but I do eat chicken and pork. I mostly eat pasta and vegetables.

I love soy and beans and those are the best for meat substitution. But I know I would miss chicken and the occasional piece of turkey, bacon or beef. Cutting down on my meat consumption is not a problem for me, but I would not take it out completely.

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]