Do you think it's right for parents to post photos of their children on social media? Why? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Parents are divided about whether it is right to post photos of one's children to social media, according to a study by the UK's communications watchdog.
Ofcom reported that just over half of parents it surveyed said they avoided what it termed "sharenting" altogether.
A desire to protect the privacy of under-18s was the most commonly given reason, it said.
But about one in five parents said they posted such images at least once a month, the regulator added.
The figures are contained in the organisation's annual Communications Market Report.
It is based on an online survey of 1,000 adults carried out in April by YouGov.
Ofcom suggested that posting family videos and photos to social media had become a "Marmite issue" - a reference to the opinion-splitting food spread.
"Parents are really divided about whether it's sensible to share photos of their children online," Ofcom's consumer group director Lindsey Fussell told the BBC.
"The good news is that of those who do share, over 80% feel very confident about restricting who can see those photos... to friends and family, for example."
Of the abstainers, 87% said their offspring's lives should remain private, and 38% said their children would not want them to upload the material.
But 52% of the sharers said their children were happy for photos and videos of themselves to be online, and only 15% had concerns about what their children might think when they grew up.
Most of those questioned acknowledged that they tended to accept social media and messaging apps' terms and conditions without reading them, and half acknowledged it was not always easy to erase imagery from the net once it had been uploaded....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40804041
The problem is families are often spread over a large area, and the practicality of connecting this way is hard to pass up. So,
I think it is ridiculous to post pictures on the internet, but I am sure glad they do.
fuser wrote:No it isn't. For one its just so fucking annoying, I don't need to see thousands pictures of your kid/baby doing normal retarded kid/baby stuff. Stop it, just stop.

I'm quite happy to get regular updates of my niece and nephews. Sharing them is valid.
I wouldn't say it isn't right, exactly, but it's probably not very wise, considering the number of trolls these sites attract.
Moreover, most people don't give a shit about other people's kids.
I never know what to say when confronted with a pic of a snotty nosed brat who likes every other snotty nosed brat, which is why I never used to inflict snaps of my kids on other people.
I think that it's unsafe to post photos of children on social media. You never know if a pervert will see it and decide to stalk you to get to your child. I heard that a mother posted that she was picking her kid up from daycare and a pervert was able to kidnap her child because he saw her status. It is scary these days.
Yes.
The reason why I don't like to post photos of my kids online is that I think pervs could see the pics.
Put it this way. If you were in a park and your kids were playing and a total stranger started taking photos of them you would freak out. I might be overprotective but that's me.
My wife quite happily posts our kids pics on FB.

Are you hoping I want aids? No, I want you to b[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable justi[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]