Justice Department Settles With Tea Party Groups After I.R.S. Scrut - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Justice Department Settles With Tea Party Groups After I.R.S. Scrutiny
By EMILY COCHRANEOCT. 26, 2017

The government agreed to a multimillion-dollar settlement to resolve one lawsuit, which was brought on behalf of 428 groups, said Edward Greim, the lead lawyer for the plaintiffs. The government will not pay damages to the 41 groups in the second lawsuit, but the I.R.S. acknowledged its conduct was wrong.

The settlements were the conclusion of two legal battles that have dogged the I.R.S. since the initial lawsuits were filed after a 2013 treasury inspector general’s audit that found groups with “Tea Party” or “Patriot” in their names received more scrutiny over their applications for tax-exempt status. The revelations plunged the I.R.S. into a firestorm that ultimately led to the ouster of its acting commissioner and prompted accusations that the agency was being used as a political weapon by the Obama administration.

June 15, 2016 - The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee votes 23-15 to censure IRS head John Koskinen as a result of the IRS targeting scandal, calling for his removal from office and the forfeiture of his government pension and other federal benefits he is eligible for.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/us/p ... ement.html
Hindsite wrote:Justice Department Settles With Tea Party Groups After I.R.S. Scrutiny
By EMILY COCHRANEOCT. 26, 2017

The government agreed to a multimillion-dollar settlement to resolve one lawsuit, which was brought on behalf of 428 groups, said Edward Greim, the lead lawyer for the plaintiffs. The government will not pay damages to the 41 groups in the second lawsuit, but the I.R.S. acknowledged its conduct was wrong.

The settlements were the conclusion of two legal battles that have dogged the I.R.S. since the initial lawsuits were filed after a 2013 treasury inspector general’s audit that found groups with “Tea Party” or “Patriot” in their names received more scrutiny over their applications for tax-exempt status. The revelations plunged the I.R.S. into a firestorm that ultimately led to the ouster of its acting commissioner and prompted accusations that the agency was being used as a political weapon by the Obama administration.

June 15, 2016 - The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee votes 23-15 to censure IRS head John Koskinen as a result of the IRS targeting scandal, calling for his removal from office and the forfeiture of his government pension and other federal benefits he is eligible for.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/us/p ... ement.html

A Republican congress found that the IRS should apologize to all the hurt feelings of Republicans, that a Democrat should be moved out of a position, but that the IRS didn't do anything bad enough to warrant any kind of actual financial compensation or anything.

...Still no word on why the Republican oriented groups are allowed to break the law and become tax-exempt non-political movements.

Because this is politics. And that's all.
Hindsite wrote:Like the so-called Trump - Russia Collusion is nothing but politics. Amen.

Sure.

Though it's not really on the same scale. There's the possibility, even if you accept it as remote, that something with Trump and Russia did occur. And you could claim the same for everyone.

This is an issue where the Republican Party was literally censuring the Democrats for following the law. It's politics and all's fair in politics, but it's not exactly comparable to anything.

It's like arguing that me saying I saw a guy flying by in a car going 80mph is the same as you saying that all Democrats should be put into a concentration camp. The former is a claim about a crime that I might have every reason to lie about or believe and collection of data is possible; the latter is just your feelings or whatever that are explicitly shown not to be legal policy.
The Immortal Goon wrote:Sure.

Though it's not really on the same scale. There's the possibility, even if you accept it as remote, that something with Trump and Russia did occur. And you could claim the same for everyone.

This is an issue where the Republican Party was literally censuring the Democrats for following the law. It's politics and all's fair in politics, but it's not exactly comparable to anything.

It's like arguing that me saying I saw a guy flying by in a car going 80mph is the same as you saying that all Democrats should be put into a concentration camp. The former is a claim about a crime that I might have every reason to lie about or believe and collection of data is possible; the latter is just your feelings or whatever that are explicitly shown not to be legal policy.

Yes, what the Democrats did was much worse.

Great german commentary: https://www.nachdenkseit[…]

Hmm. I took it a second time and changes three ans[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

is it you , Moscow Marjorie ? https://exte[…]

This year, Canada spent more paying interest on it[…]