Noted Rapper Shot To Death In Miami - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
One of the top streaming rap artists was shot to death yesterday in Miami.

He was shot in broad daylight by masked assailants. This is like something that happens in the slums of Brazil.

American has a violence problem in which violent people kill other people with guns.

But even if you want to say that America has a gun problem, where are the Parkland students and gun control groups?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/xxxtentacion-know-rapper-fatally-shot-florida-012759256.html

Rapper XXXTentacion (real name: Jahseh Dwayne Onfroy), who was shot to death at the age of 20 Monday, wasn’t yet a household name. But he was well on his way.

Already popular on SoundCloud, XXXTentacion’s latest album, ?, landed at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 album chart when it was released in March. His debut album, 17, peaked at No. 2 on the same chart last September. Kendrick Lamar was a known supporter, and the young rapper had millions of followers on social media.

If you don’t know his music, XXXTentacion’s name might be familiar because he was one of the artists mentioned last month when streaming service Spotify vowed to stop promoting the music of R. Kelly and other artists who demonstrated “hateful conduct.” (This is a policy they’ve since dropped.)

Some of the Florida native’s history fit into that category. When he died, he was awaiting trial on charges of battery, false imprisonment, and witness tampering, to which he had pleaded not guilty, according to the New York Times. His former girlfriend stated in a deposition that XXXTentacion often abused her. She said that he had punched, kicked, strangled, and head-butted her while she was pregnant in 2016. She also accused him of keeping her at a friend’s house for two days.

He’s had physical altercations at concerts and feuded with Drake and Offset from Migos.

In 2016, he was also arrested on home invasion charges for an incident that happened in 2015. He was released from jail on house arrest late last year.

As the New York Times noted, the artist didn’t give many interviews. He preferred to interact with his fans on social media, where he had 1.2 million followers on Twitter and another 8.2 million on Instagram. “If I’m going to die or ever be a sacrifice, I want to make sure that my life made at least five million kids happy, or they found some sort of answers or resolve in my life, regardless of the negative around my name, regardless of the bad things people say to me,” he reportedly said on Instagram.

In the wake of his death, many in the hip-hop community are offering their condolences.

Yes, I know that rappers getting gunned down is basically par for the course for young rappers, but this one is a little different. He was the one who performed in a music video where he lynched a small white boy.

I originally posted about it in this thread

Celebrities and his fans are acting like this guy was like Martin Luther King Jr. or something.

Here are the lyrics to the song where performed the lynching.

Aye
I'm like bitch, who is your mans?, aye
Can't keep my dick in my pants, aye
My bitch don't love me no more, aye
She kick me out I'm like vro
Damn son, where'd you find this?
Yo
Aye
Yo
Aye
Yo
Aye
Yo
Yo
Yo
Aye
Aye
Aye
Aye
I'm like bitch, who is your mans?, aye
Can't keep my dick in my pants, aye
My bitch don't love me no more, aye
She kick me out I'm like vro, aye
That bitch don't wanna be friends, aye
I gave her dick, she got mad, aye
She put her tongue on my dick, aye
Look at my wrist, about 10, aye
Just got a pound of that boof, aye
Brought that shit straight to the booth, aye
Tommy my Hilfiger boots, aye
She said want fuck bitch, I do, aye
You put a gun on my mans, aye
I put a hole in your parents, aye
I just got lean on my ksubis, aye
I got an uzi no uzi, aye
Fuck on…
I grew up in Miami. People getting shot in broad daylight is not a new thing there. Gun violence has dropped dramatically in Miami since the 80s. This is counting mass shootings.

Not saying we shouldn't do anything about guns, but the narrative that violent crime is escalating in America is simply not true.
Rancid wrote:I grew up in Miami. People getting shot in broad daylight is not a new thing there. Gun violence has dropped dramatically in Miami since the 80s. This is counting mass shootings.

Not saying we shouldn't do anything about guns, but the narrative that violent crime is escalating in America is simply not true.

I didn't say that violent crime is escalating.

Even if violent crime has decreased overall, violence is still a significant problem in the US.

This kind of rap music just breeds a culture of violence. It's perhaps not always the cause of the violence, but this kind of music is certainly not helping to calm the violence in this community.

Young black men getting gunned down in broad daylight presumably by other young black men, is a problem that law enforcement officials and politicians refuse to address.
Well good news I guess that they got the man who allegedly killed XXXTentacion.

Still haven't heard anything from David Hogg and the Parkland students especially since this is a very high profile murder that happened right outside of their county!

The guy has even confessed to having a previous warrant for murder and has also apparently confessed to the killing.

Someone has compiled a video of the killer.

Now you know why there are no protests. Black lives really don't matter to the political left unless they can be translated into money or votes.
At least the shooter waited til he was out of school.

The song posted reads like trashy shit music, but violence is fairly prevalent in all forms of music. I don't know how many country songs I've heard about killing a cheating wife (and country musicians themselves have shot a fair amount of people), but no one seems to complain about that.

To blackjack's point: yes its definitely true that CNN and all mass media only care about stories that generate buzz/controversy and thus provide ad revenue. I find this morally repugnant as well, but that is the nature of 24 hour news networks.
I think the media has gone beyond just printing sensationalism like they always have. They are actively inciting people to create new sensationalism. They have made themselves a participant rather than just an observer.
Rancid wrote:Gun violence has dropped dramatically in Miami since the 80s. This is counting mass shootings.

It's because the US started giving violent felons much harsher sentences. It's not really a sustainable solution though because the prison population has swelled to massive proportions. If we ended the drug war reduced poverty we wouldn't have nearly as many people committing violent felonies. It's hard for me to feel sympathy for the felons because I know them too well and they are fucking scumbags, but maybe they wouldn't have been if circumstances had been different for them growing up.
blackjack21 wrote:Now you know why there are no protests. Black lives really don't matter to the political left unless they can be translated into money or votes.

I am not surprised that you lack the understanding of even knowing what the BLM movement is about. Hint: Police.
Zagadka wrote:I am not surprised that you lack the understanding of even knowing what the BLM movement is about. Hint: Police.

It really isn’t. They hijacked that from Ferguson neighborhood protesters. The Ferguson people were very upset by it.
Zagadka wrote:Yes, but their cause is shootings by police. I haven't heard them address the black-on-black shootings (which are a large problem).

You rarely hear mainstream black thought leaders such as Shawn King or Ta-Nehisi Coates addressing the issue of black on black violence or black violence in general.

But you know who never talks about these black on black shootings? Other black rappers.

Another one of these rappers, Smoke Dawg, was killed in Toronto in a very public way. He was shot presumably in the vicinity of bystanders.

He was an opening act for Drake, one of the top rap artists in the world, although Drake is more like the Will Smith type of rap than the gangster type of rap.

Drake could have used this time to issue a public statement about these rappers getting shot and killed in the street, but he didn't. He wrote some gibberish about beauty and love and whatnot.

Toronto rapper Smoke Dawg identified as 1 of 2 dead in downtown shooting

Local Toronto rapper Smoke Dawg has been identified as one of the victims in Saturday night’s downtown shooting.

Friends of Smoke Dawg confirmed his death with Global News Sunday morning due to what Mayor John Tory is calling gang-related violence.

The rapper, whose real name is Jahvante Smart, was 21 years old. The other victim was identified by police as Ernest “Kosi” Modekwe, 28, also known under the artist name Koba Prime. The two were part of the rap collective, Prime.

In a GoFundMe page for Modekwe, he is described as “a loving son, big brother, boyfriend, friend, employee and more.”

Notable rapper Drake took to social media Saturday night to express his sadness over the loss.

“All these gifts and blessed souls and inner lights being extinguished lately is devastating,” it read.

“I wish peace would wash over our city. So much talent and so many stories we never get to see play out. Rest up Smoke.”

Smoke Dawg toured with Drake on the ‘Boy Meets World’ tour in February and March 2017. Drake also appeared in one of his concerts in London, Ontario.

Smoke Dawg, Rapper and Drake Opening Act, Killed in Shooting at 21

Canadian rapper Smoke Dawg was shot and killed outside a Toronto club on Saturday night, according to Global News. He was 21.

Close friend Mustafa the Poet posted his condolences late Saturday: “may our prayers follow him to heaven.”

Smoke Dawg’s death comes just two weeks after the shooting death of 20-year-old American rapper XXXTentacion, who was shot down outside Miami on June 18. Rapper Chief Keef was also nearly shot outside the W Hotel in Times Square earlier in June, though the bullets missed him and hit paneling in front of the hotel.

On his Instagram account, Drake posted a tribute to Smoke Dawg that include a picture of the two performing together in London, Ontario.

Smoke Dawg’s death comes just two weeks after the shooting death of 20-year-old American rapper XXXTentacion, who was shot down outside Miami on June 18. Rapper Chief Keef was also nearly shot outside the W Hotel in Times Square earlier in June, though the bullets missed him and hit paneling in front of the hotel.

On his Instagram account, Drake posted a tribute to Smoke Dawg that include a picture of the two performing together in London, Ontario.

“All these gifts and blessed souls and inner lights being extinguished lately is devastating,” the tribute read. “I wish peace would wash over our city. So much talent and so many stories we never get to see play out. Rest up Smoke.”

According to CP24 News, Dawg was shot at 8 p.m. on Saturday outside the Cube Nightclub in Toronto’s entertainment district. Two other bystanders were shot and rushed with Dawg to a local hospital. Dawg later died of his injuries. Friends of Smoke Dawg identified him toGlobal News as the deceased victim.

The shooting took place during Canada Day weekend, with thousands of people out in the streets to celebrate the national holiday.

“The scene just turned chaotic. There were people running everywhere, there were vehicles just trying to get out of the way,” recounted one witness. “Down on Peter Street we just saw a mass of tourists – normal Saturday traffic on Queen Street – basically running scared for their lives. It was intense, it was very chaotic.”

Toronto mayor John Tory told reporters on Sunday he was “damn mad” about the recent increase in shootings in his city, though he blamed the gun violence on leniency in the city’s criminal justice system.

“This city has always been safe and the objective is to keep it safe. These are people, some of these people who are out on bail and have been doing this repeatedly, involved with gangs who are the only ones that pose a threat to the safety of this city and that’s why I think they should be kept behind bars,” Tory said.
maz wrote:You rarely hear mainstream black thought leaders such as Shawn King or Ta-Nehisi Coates addressing the issue of black on black violence or black violence in general.

But you know who never talks about these black on black shootings? Other black rappers.

You're pretty much blatantly wrong here, lots of hip hop, especially conscious hip hop, does address black on black crime, and Drake is actually the worst example to cite since he pretty much sucks as a musician and beyond that is a corporate black hole.

The opinion that rap in general breeds violence isn't ever held by people who listen to a lot of rap music, and to be honest, it's ignorance and unwillingness to consider counterexamples masquerading as fact. Not gonna defend X here, since he doesn't exactly help the problem at all, but I'm at least gonna say that denouncing an entire music community based on what few examples you have is easy, reductive thinking.

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

@skinster well, you've been accusing Israel of t[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]