London Mayor Allows ‘Trump Baby’ Balloon for President’s Trip to U.K. - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
The anti trump demonstration is a coalition of various groups and most of them aren't protesting against Trumps anti Muslim paranoia.

This march is supported by:
Amnesty UK, Women for Refugee Women, Southall Black Sisters, Stonewall, Hope Not Hate, Pride in London, GreenPeace, Liberty, Inquest, Help Refugees, Nisa Nashim Jewish and Muslim Women’s, Network, Environmental Justice Foundation, Gendered Intelligence, Dimensions, Dahlia Project, Abortion Support Network, Fawcett Society, Operation Black Vote, Reclaim, Safe Passage, Muslim Women’s Network UK , Team Future, Best for Britain, She Speaks We Hear, Women in Leadership, End Violence Against Women coalition, Democrats Abroad UK, ActionAid UK, Verve, Oxfam GB, Fourth Wave feminists, Women For Europe, Making Herstory, Everyday Sexism and Women’s Voice.

blackjack21 wrote:Britain pays over 130B pounds to the EU budget. When have they ever paid the US even a fraction of that? At best, we have a military alliance and mutual protection pact. We do not make British laws. We do not force the UK to conform to our laws. There is no independence party trying to get independence from the US. UKIP is about Euroskepticism.

The UK like Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Austria and the majority of EU countries pay into the budget, none of them claim to be paying "colonial fees" because that is a budget for the UK as well and when the UK was poorer back in the 1970's and 80's it was a net beneficiary which means that the UK was receiving more than it was paying. The budget goes for development programs, schools, roads etcetera inside the UK as well. The UK however has spent a lot more billion following the US in the war adventures around the globe and getting nothing in return but simply bad press.

I don't care about the balloon. I think it's dumb. I do think it is emblematic of Teresa May's government.

Of course you do, otherwise you would not be in this thread trying to be an outraged victim.

I don't support comedians making racially insensitive jokes to visiting heads of state within proximity to government buildings. If I have, you are free to quote me. I'm pretty sure I haven't done that.

Denial is weakness.

I don't think I ever said that I hate all Muslims either. I'm not fond of Wahhabist extremists. That's a long way from hating all Muslims. That's a Reagan-era cliche. Boring. You know nothing about me.

Sure sure, as above. We all dislike wahhabists like me too, but between me and you there is a huge difference regarding Muslims in general. You see normal people who do not hate Muslims do not jump on every opportunity to badmouth them like you do. But clearly your feelings are hurt once again because people are not pussyfooting around you.
One Degree wrote:The difference is if it was an Islamist country electing Christian politicians, my position would be the same and you would agree with me.
No, because in Western countries we're supposed to keep the religion separate from the state. Your argument is simply deflection away from your blatant racism.

His religion mattered little, apparently, to the people of London, who voted him into office. Considering the small Muslim demographic, it would indicate that a lot of Christians voted for him.
Godstud wrote:No, because in Western countries we're supposed to keep the religion separate from the state. Your argument is simply deflection away from your blatant racism.

His religion mattered little, apparently, to the people of London, who voted him into office. Considering the small Muslim demographic, it would indicate that a lot of Christians voted for him.

Britain has a state religion. You seem confused. Yes, I agree Londoners decided it did not matter. That was my whole point. Why did it not matter? You do not accept a different culture unless you have abandoned your current one. I am asking if they understand what they are doing, or are they blindly pursuing an idealism that will provide results they won’t like? I don’t care what they choose, only asking if they understand what they are choosing. Just because you are alienated from your own culture does not mean others are. You actually encourage them sticking to their culture in other cultures. This seems very silly to me.
One Degree wrote:That was my whole point. Why did it not matter? You do not accept a different culture unless you have abandoned your current one.
:roll: His platform was not about imposing culture. Your argument is baseless, and quite ignorant.

Just because someone's a Muslim, does not mean they are trying to impose their culture upon you. Your racism is showing, AGAIN.
Godstud wrote::roll: His platform was not about imposing culture. Your argument is baseless, and quite ignorant.

Just because someone's a Muslim, does not mean they are trying to impose their culture upon you. Your racism is showing, AGAIN.

Right and Christians had no effect on Rome. Ofcourse, they will try to impose their religion on you. That is what religions do. This is exactly the idealistic decision making I was addressing. You post represents the total disconnect from reality based upon the power you have given ‘racism’. Religion is not a race.
One Degree wrote:Britain has a state religion. You seem confused. Yes, I agree Londoners decided it did not matter. That was my whole point. Why did it not matter? You do not accept a different culture unless you have abandoned your current one. I am asking if they understand what they are doing, or are they blindly pursuing an idealism that will provide results they won’t like? I don’t care what they choose, only asking if they understand what they are choosing. Just because you are alienated from your own culture does not mean others are. You actually encourage them sticking to their culture in other cultures. This seems very silly to me.

Britain's state religion is more or less a decorative formality at this point. Since the education acts of the 19th century we have been increasingly educating the mainstream of our generations into secularism and consequently atheism. So most people are not really Christians at all, Christian scruples survive on momentum alone. Then there is the legacy of the empire. It was part of the imperial deal that subject nations would become a family of nations, at some point that means allowing the diverse subject peoples into the governing processes. I don't think there is necessarily a huge issue in allowing non-ethnic British or non-Christians to run for public offices in general. I don't think there would be an issue if the London Mayor was a Sikh, a Hindu or a Jew or whatever. But not all religions are alike and followers of Islam can't be expected to take common cause with anyone but other muslims, the religious bigotry of the faith is too strong. I don't think people realise this, they assume it's just like any other religion but it isn't.
Last edited by SolarCross on 12 Jul 2018 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
One Degree wrote:Right and Christians had no effect on Rome.
Oh, For Fuck's Sake, London is not 4th century Rome! Get a clue!

One Degree wrote:Ofcourse, they will try to impose their religion on you. That is what religions do.
What xenophobic rubbish! Not everyone is a fundamentalist.

One Degree wrote:You post represents the total disconnect from reality based upon the power you have given ‘racism’. Religion is not a race.
True, but you're practicing religious discrimination, and it's fucking disgusting. Just as stupid as racism, as just as based in complete ignorance.
SolarCross wrote:Britain's state religion is more or less a decorative formality at this point. Since the education acts of the 19th century we have been increasingly educating the mainstream of our generations into secularism and consequently atheism. So most people are not really Christians at all, Christian scruples survive on momentum alone. Then there is the legacy of the empire. It was part of the imperial deal that subject nations would become a family of nations, at some point that means allowing the diverse subject peoples into the governing processes. I don't think there is necessarily a huge issue in allowing non-ethnic British or non-Christians from running for public offices in general. I don't think there would be an issue if the London Mayor was a Sikh, a Hindu or a Jew or whatever. But not all religions are alike and followers of Islam can't be expected to take common cause with anyone but other muslims, the religious bigotry of the faith is too strong. I don't think people realise this, they assume it's just like any other religion but it isn't.

Exactly. The West is not embracing others, they have abandoned their own beliefs and are lost. They have substituted science and atheism for religion then embrace the religious beliefs of others. It is not humanitarian, it is a symptom of people who no longer have beliefs of their own and are desperately trying to fill the hole.
A row erupted today after police stopped anti-Trump protesters bringing a stage and sound system into central London.
Organisers of the Stop Trump protest hit out at Scotland Yard after they were blocked from bringing the mobile stage to Portland Place near Oxford Circus for the start of tomorrow’s demonstration.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to take to the streets on Friday in protest at US President Donald Trump’s visit to the UK from today.

Protesters will assemble outside the BBC building in Portland Place and plan to march through Regent Street and Haymarket to Trafalgar Square.

But left-wing activist Owen Jones, one of the organisers of the demonstration, tweeted furiously after the Met blocked plans for a vehicle-mounted stage.
He posted: “The @metpoliceuk have suddenly denied permission for a stage and a sound system for the Trump protest.
One Degree wrote:Exactly. The West is not embracing others, they have abandoned their own beliefs and are lost. They have substituted science and atheism for religion then embrace the religious beliefs of others. It is not humanitarian, it is a symptom of people who no longer have beliefs of their own and are desperately trying to fill the hole.

Science made us powerful but Christianity made us kind, I do wonder if we really should lose the latter too much, what kind of people we may become. I'm rather partial to the colourful religions of germanic paganism, you know Odin and whatnot, but I must acknowledge there is no great emphasis on charity and kindness in the old pagan religions of northern europe, really in contrast to Christianity the values are quite harsh and brutal.

As far as "embracing others" goes for the British at least a certain cosmopolitanism is an inevitable consequence of a long history of successful imperialism and ultimately one does want to cultivate friendly relations with people of other cultures and religions; it is wearisome to treat the whole world as an enemy. But we should be realistic too, not everyone can be a friend.
This is a typical British thing, neither Muslim nor Islamist, Muslims or Islamists would rather depict Trump as Satan I guess, whereas Sadiq Khan's just a British Muslim resembling George Clooney to some extent. I also wonder how Trump should be popular in liberal multicultural cosmopolitan London, or even in jovial and moderate Britain itself, unless the British would prefer being the 51st state more than ever. Which Churchill, who is so frequently referred to by Trumpites, Brexshitters and British Fascists, would utterly refuse, of course.
SolarCross wrote:Science made us powerful but Christianity made us kind, I do wonder if we really should lose the latter too much, what kind of people we may become. I'm rather partial to the colourful religions of germanic paganism, you know Odin and whatnot, but I must acknowledge there is no great emphasis on charity and kindness in the old pagan religions of northern europe, really in contrast to Christianity the values are quite harsh and brutal.
Secularism is quite humane, compared to ANY religion. Morality exists despite religion.

History... Indeed, historically conspiracy theo[…]

Not so long ago., if a person was to be conside[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Seems like there's a lot of cursing of Ukraine's 1[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]