London Mayor Allows ‘Trump Baby’ Balloon for President’s Trip to U.K. - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Ter wrote:Well I don't see eye to eye with you on many political issues but I have to admire your stamina to participate in demonstrations and going to rave parties at your age. Respect.

Thanks. What makes me very happy is that my 15 year old daughter asked to participate in the demonstration..
When I was in my mid teens I used to go to anti-Vietnam marches in Sydney and all those years later I have vivid recollections of them.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07 ... rexit.html

Looks like anti-Trump hysteria is working out well for you. I am sure failed trade deals with the US will be used as another excuse why Brexit can’t happen. Your masters appreciate you going after an imaginary threat they supplied for you. US immigration should be your #1 concern. :)
Rugoz wrote:Why would the UK or anyone else for that matter want to make a trade deal with the Trump administration. :eh:
Nobody's interested in our "America first" bullshit.

Maybe the same reason they want to trade with Iran, Russia, or China? It benefits them. To refuse trade with Trump on moral grounds just demonstrates more hypocritical lunacy.
One Degree wrote:Maybe the same reason they want to trade with Iran, Russia, or China? It benefits them. To refuse trade with Trump on moral grounds just demonstrates more hypocritical lunacy.

You don't get it. Why would anyone want to make a deal with an administration who sees trade as a zero sum game and proclaims "America first" at every opportunity? Especially since the UK doesn't have the weight of the EU in negotiations. This has nothing to do with morality. May is well advised to wait until Trump is gone.
Rugoz wrote:You don't get it. Why would anyone want to make a deal with an administration who sees trade as a zero sum game and proclaims "America first" at every opportunity? Especially since the UK doesn't have the weight of the EU in negotiations. This has nothing to do with morality. May is well advised to wait until Trump is gone.

Why do you think any country should not negotiate in their own best interests? Why would a President not put America first? You are simply judging him based upon some idea of global morality instead of nationalism. He is not a globalist, not are his supporters.
One Degree wrote:Why do you think any country should not negotiate in their own best interests? Why would a President not put America first? You are simply judging him based upon some idea of global morality instead of nationalism. He is not a globalist, not are his supporters.

Why are you changing the goalposts? We were talking about what the UK should do.

As for what I think is in the US' best interest. Clearly the US could bully smaller countries into better deals, but when it is up against the EU, China or other large trade blocs, it cannot do so without losing as well. Now that China is on the rise and the world is increasing multipolar, the US can hardly afford to drive its allies away.
Rugoz wrote:Why are you changing the goalposts? We were talking about what the UK should do.

As for what I think is in the US' best interest. Clearly the US could bully smaller countries into better deals, but when it is up against the EU, China or other large trade blocs, it cannot do so without losing as well. Now that China is on the rise and the world is increasing multipolar, the US can hardly afford to drive its allies away.

I did not change the goal posts. I was only making it clear it was not specific to the U.K. Who do you think the ‘winners’ are in negotiations based upon ‘global equality’? They are international business and banking. Individuals benefit from their country winning negotiations with other countries. If production goes to China then Chinese factory workers have jobs. If those jobs stay in the US, then US factory workers have jobs. What benefits international business is not necessarily what benefits people in different countries. Confusing these two things leads to bad decisions. All countries should put their people first.
One Degree wrote:I did not change the goal posts. I was only making it clear it was not specific to the U.K. Who do you think the ‘winners’ are in negotiations based upon ‘global equality’? They are international business and banking. Individuals benefit from their country winning negotiations with other countries. If production goes to China then Chinese factory workers have jobs. If those jobs stay in the US, then US factory workers have jobs. What benefits international business is not necessarily what benefits people in different countries. Confusing these two things leads to bad decisions. All countries should put their people first.

Apparently you're incapable of staying on topic or forming a coherent argument. Are you pretending Trump would act in the interest of workers on both sides at the expense of capitalists? :lol:
Rugoz wrote:Apparently you're incapable of staying on topic or forming a coherent argument. Are you pretending Trump would act in the interest of workers on both sides at the expense of capitalists? :lol:

What? What ‘both sides’ are you referring to?
Anything he does to disrupt ‘multi country trade deals’ will harm international business and promote each country’s interests rather than a business or ideological interest.
One Degree wrote:What? What ‘both sides’ are you referring to?
Anything he does to disrupt ‘multi country trade deals’ will harm international business and promote each country’s interests rather than a business or ideological interest.

That's an utterly idiotic position, at least when we're talking about economic interests (i.e. GDP). It's plain wrong.
Last edited by Rugoz on 13 Jul 2018 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
One Degree wrote:Looks like anti-Trump hysteria is working out well for you. I am sure failed trade deals with the US will be used as another excuse why Brexit can’t happen.

On the contrary, this proves that our obsequious behaviour towards the US is utterly futile because you do not and never will care about our interests. Which is fine, but I wish our politicians would be less naive about the non-existent "special relationship" that only works in one direction, and is in any case based on implicit threats.

Also, the idea that Theresa May or the current government is in any way "anti-Trump" is absurd. She was trying to give Trump a first-term state visit, for crying out loud.
Theresa May is a globalist. All economic arguments are globalist arguments supplied by globalists. Trump and his supporters do not believe globalism is the answer to anything that gives them a better life. We really don’t care how profitable Walmart is. Alliances and trade alliances benefit ideology and globalists, not common people.
One Degree wrote:All economic arguments are globalist arguments supplied by globalists.

Economic autarky is a pipe dream for the vast majority of countries on this planet, and a crazy proposition for the rest.

One Degree wrote:Alliances and trade alliances benefit ideology and globalists, not common people.

Bullshit. They benefit the common people. Maybe not all of them, but generally they do.
Rugoz wrote:Economic autarky is a pipe dream for the vast majority of countries on this planet, and a crazy proposition for the rest.

Bullshit. They benefit the common people. Maybe not all of them, but generally they do.

Why do you think the less we need labor through technology, the more we say our economy requires world labor cooperation? There is a disconnect that can only be attributed to manipulation. You do not need alliances to make trade deals. You only need alliances to promote ideology, not trade.
One Degree wrote:Why do you think the less we need labor through technology, the more we say our economy requires world labor cooperation? There is a disconnect that can only be attributed to manipulation. You do not need alliances to make trade deals. You only need alliances to promote ideology, not trade.

...and you're all over the place again.

While the United States does not comment in any wa[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Why are thousands of people trying to force their[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isra[…]