Dangers of the Self righteous - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
One Degree wrote:She was fired for getting media attention. That’s all it takes today. Ostracism by twitter is our new legal system.

She was fired for violating the companies policies. If she hadn't have violated them, I doubt a customer would have taken a photo and complained online. You can debate whether this is fair or not. You cannot debate the reason she was fired. :roll:

It is definitely self righteous nonsense to believe criminals should be considered victims of their childhood. Duh, well raised people seldom commit violent crimes. Criminals are a threat that any sane person should want eliminated, not excused. Virtually every horrific crime in the news is committed by a serial offender that the self righteous believed deserved another chance. It is insane to promote returning criminals to society. They don’t go to prison in the first place until they have had multiple chances. 40% are sociopaths.

Even a culprit has rights. If their childhood has any bearing in their sentence, your feelings are irrelevant. This has nothing to do with righteousness. It is the legal system. I suspect if you were on death for you'd want your rights honoured. Especially if it was a miscarriage of justice with evidence not being provide in your trial. But he glad you live in USA @One Degree, as every other western nation abolished executions.
B0ycey wrote:She was fired for violating the companies policies. If she hadn't have violated them, I doubt a customer would have taken a photo and complained online. You can debate whether this is fair or not. You cannot debate the reason she was fired. :roll:

Even a culprit has rights. If their childhood has any bearing in their sentence, your feelings are irrelevant. This has nothing to do with righteousness. It is the legal system. I suspect if you were on death for you'd want your rights honoured. Especially if it was a miscarriage of justice with evidence not being provide in your trial. But he glad you live in USA @One Degree, as every other western nation abolished executions.

The laws are based upon self righteousness. If you get caught stealing at your job, you don’t get a second chance. Yet, you want to give second and third chances to the most violent. Pick up the paper and read about the guy with 6 previous convictions committing another crime. There is no logical reason for a society to tolerate it, which means we do so out of misplaced idealism (self righteousness).
Ofcourse their childhood affected them. So what? Are you going to go back in time and change it? Does it help the victim? Does it make the community safer?
Laws are suppose to make the community safer. That means removing offenders. There is no benefit to the community of returning offenders to the community. Our priority should be the community, not the criminals.
This is another example of the fallacy of placing individuals above the community welfare.
It is an unhealthy obsession with individual rights at the expense of the health of the community. Humans are no different than any other plant or animal, their health depends upon intelligent pruning. Would you save the weeds in a rose garden?
One Degree wrote:The laws are based upon self righteousness. If you get caught stealing at your job, you don’t get a second chance. Yet, you want to give second and third chances to the most violent. Pick up the paper and read about the guy with 6 previous convictions committing another crime. There is no logical reason for a society to tolerate it, which means we do so out of misplaced idealism (self righteousness).
Ofcourse their childhood affected them. So what? Are you going to go back in time and change it? Does it help the victim? Does it make the community safer?
Laws are suppose to make the community safer. That means removing offenders. There is no benefit to the community of returning offenders to the community. Our priority should be the community, not the criminals.
This is another example of the fallacy of placing individuals above the community welfare.
It is an unhealthy obsession with individual rights at the expense of the health of the community. Humans are no different than any other plant or animal, their health depends upon intelligent pruning. Would you save the weeds in a rose garden?

From my understanding of this case, this is about executing the culprit rather than 'letting him go free'. If his childhood has a bearing on this in accordance to the law, he has the right to execute that right. If you have a problem with that, then campaign for the law to be changed. If enough people support you cause, you might get your way. But until the law changes, it is you who is expressing your personal righteousness onto PoFo and demanding things be seen with your viewpoint. What makes you think the law is righteousness btw? It is designed to be objective and not morally right. Whether something is morally right is opinion based.
B0ycey wrote:From my understanding of this case, this is about executing the culprit rather than 'letting him go free'. If his childhood has a bearing on this in accordance to the law, he has the right to execute that right. If you have a problem with that, then campaign for the law to be changed. If enough people support you cause, you might get your way. But until the law changes, it is you who is expressing your personal righteousness onto PoFo and demanding things be seen with your viewpoint. What makes you think the law is righteousness btw? It is designed to be objective and not morally right. Whether something is morally right is opinion based.

My argument was not based upon ‘morality’. It was based upon ‘community rights versus individual rights’. This is the basis of most current political disagreement. Unfortunately, few of either party understand this so they flip flop all over the place making decisions that have no long term goal in mind. This is why a Republican governor is making a decision contrary to what he should.
One Degree wrote:My argument was not based upon ‘morality’. It was based upon ‘community rights versus individual rights’.

Then what are you bitching about? The law provides the rights for both the community and the individual. And the individual is using his rights to avoid the death penalty. So your complain is due to your opinion of what you think righteousness should be actually.
B0ycey wrote:Then what are you bitching about? The law provides the rights for both the community and the individual. And the individual is using his rights to avoid the death penalty. So your complain is due to your opinion of what you think righteousness should be actually.

Which do you give priority, fairness to the community or fairness to the individual? Until you decide, your views are just random impulses with no direction. You can’t select ‘both’. One must have priority for us to make consistent decisions.
The community is protected with him behind bars. The need for executions are debatable anyway. So whether he uses his rights to remain alive or not won't effect how society works or their rights to function btw. This is just bitch candy for people like you who believe their opinion reflects the community as a whole.
B0ycey wrote:The community is protected with him behind bars. The need for executions are debatable anyway. So whether he uses his rights to remain alive or not won't effect how society works or their rights to function btw. This is just bitch candy for people like you who believe their opinion reflects the community as a whole.

The thread is about how self righteousness leads to dangers for society. Someone who murdered two people should be executed and not given another thought if you believe the community comes first. A community needs payback against those who violate their standards or the standards become meaningless. An execution makes this clear, a vague ‘life in prison’ does not. I am unconcerned about the rare miscarriages of Justice because the individual is not my priority.
One Degree wrote:I am unconcerned about the rare miscarriages of Justice because the individual is not my priority.

The irony of course is the community is concerned about this actually. Certainly is true in the UK anyway. Whenever debates take place on the death penalty, miscarrages of justice is the first thing to come up. It was abolished in the UK partly due to the execution of Timothy Evans. So you don't represent the views of your community I am certain of it. Just your own. So why does your righteousness excel over that of your community?
B0ycey wrote:The irony of course is the community is concerned about this actually. Certainly is true in the UK anyway. Whenever debates take place on the death penalty, miscarrages of justice is the first thing to come up. It was abolished in the UK partly due to the execution of Timothy Evans. So you don't represent the views of your community I am certain of it. Just your own. So why does your righteousness excel over that of your community?

You are just giving an example of what people do when they are unaware this is a decision that needs to be made. I have no problem with any decision a community makes, but they need to be aware of this basic decision when making them. Decisions are just random feelings that lead no where unless they are based upon a common goal to be pursued.
One Degree wrote:You are just giving an example of what people do when they are unaware this is a decision that needs to be made. I have no problem with any decision a community makes, but they need to be aware of this basic decision when making them. Decisions are just random feelings that lead no where unless they are based upon a common goal to be pursued.

A community elect people to create/change laws on their behalf. Want the law changed? Campaign for it to change rather than bitching online that the community rights have been violated (which isn't true btw).

So all I am reading is you wanting your opinion of what should occur to this individual to be paramount of that of the law as you don't like the fact he has rights that you don't think he should have. Fine, but don't hide behind your community which very well may not agree with it at all. Just be honest and say that is how you like the law to behave.
Fucking scab. You should never work when off duty (and do as little as possible when on duty). By working while not on a shift the workers was giving the employer profit for free and stealing work from other people who needed it. Aiding and abetting the enemy is treason and should be treated as such.

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]

Al Quds day was literally invented by the Ayatolla[…]

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]