Chinese Theme Park Forces Pig to Bungee Jump - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
This is depressing and cruel.

Chinese theme park workers carry a 165lb pig up a 223ft tower before forcing the screaming animal to BUNGEE JUMP in a 'disgusting' promotional stunt

- The event was held to celebrate the opening of a bungee tower in China
- Videos of the jump caused outrage among web users and animal lovers
- The park apologised over the incident, but insisting that the pig was well
- A spokesperson told media the animal had been sent to a slaughterhouse

A theme park has forced a 220lb pig to bungee jump from a 223-foot-tall tower in a promotional stunt that sparked nationwide outrage and was labelled 'disgusting' by animal welfare activists.

Footage taken on Saturday at the tourist attraction in Chongqing shows the animal whining in desperation as it was bound to a wooden stick and carried by two workers up the structure.

A separate clip then captures workers dragging the pig which was clearly terrified to the edge of the bungee platform, attaching it to a safety harness before pushing it down.

The pig can be heard screaming repeatedly as it plunged down the tower while being attached to a rope and a blue cape.

The park has apologised to the public amid the controversy. A spokesperson told local media that the pig had been sent to a slaughterhouse, insisting that it was well.

The controversial incident, branded as 'golden pig bungee jumping', was held by Meixin Red Wine Town in the district of Fuling to celebrate the opening of its bungee tower on the same day.

Daily Mail

To me, the most depressing aspect was that the guy was still sent to a slaughter house.

If they had let him live and be some icon who sat around near the park, eating to his hearts content, and being displayed as the famous bungee jump pig or something, I would perhaps be able to smile and laugh it off a little, and chock it up that the price for not being slaughtered and eaten is a few minutes of sheer terror. You could argue there is some sort of twisted balance restored to the world...

But the phrasing of how the pig is OK and has been sent to a slaughterhouse was salt in the wound -- or black comedy, depending on how you view it.
Verv wrote:To me, the most depressing aspect was that the guy was still sent to a slaughter house.

Verv, if you personally had the choice, and were going to be slaughtered for ham sandwiches anyways, would you want to do a bungee jump before you died, or just sit around with all the other soon-to-be-departed in a caged pen?

Most pigs would choose the bungee jump, just like the current crop of soon-to-be-exinct humans has choosen to drive SUVs very quickly around corners.... before it's time.
@QatzelOk
Didn't you just make a post about pets being slaves with no autonomy?
What's this bullshit about pigs choosing to go bungee jumping?
Like they understand the concept and actively pursue the endeavor under their own initiative?
???
AFAIK wrote:@QatzelOk
Didn't you just make a post about pets being slaves with no autonomy?
What's this bullshit about pigs choosing to go bungee jumping?
Like they understand the concept and actively pursue the endeavor under their own initiative?
?

They also don't 'understand' going to the slaughter house.

So there's really a lot of bad science in this thread, and I'm just playing along so that people will be my friends.
Video footage shows the pig tied to a pole, carried by two men to the top of a tower before being pushed off.

The theme park located in Chongqing said the stunt was held to mark the opening of the new bungee attraction.

It was a one-off event to mark the opening of the new bungee attraction. The video shows that the pig seemed to have enjoyed the experience. What's more worrisome about China is that they consume wild rodents, which were sold at the Wuhan fresh meat market that is the source of the new SARS outbreak. Bat dishes are also known in the southern regions of China, where the bat meat is considered an exotic dish. Chinese virologists have identified a single population of horseshoe bats that harbours the SARS virus.

After a detective hunt across China, researchers chasing the origin of the deadly SARS virus have finally found their smoking gun. In a remote cave in Yunnan province, virologists have identified a single population of horseshoe bats that harbours virus strains with all the genetic building blocks of the one that jumped to humans in 2002, killing almost 800 people around the world.

The killer strain could easily have arisen from such a bat population, the researchers report in PLoS Pathogens1 on 30 November. They warn that the ingredients are in place for a similar disease to emerge again.

Although many markets selling animals in China have already been closed or restricted following outbreaks of SARS and other infectious diseases, Yuen agrees that the latest results suggest the risk is still present. “It reinforces the notion that we should not disturb wildlife habitats and never put wild animals into markets,” says Yuen. Respecting nature, he argues, “is the way to stay away from the harm of emerging infections”.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-07766-9
Pig Bungee jumps, as percentage of world total (Rand, 2000)

Although I was unable to find a more recent graph (these stats are compiled every 25 years), you can see that it is actually the USA and Russia that usually lead in this kind of activity, with even the UK coming ahead of China.

So please check your Sino-phobia at the door.
QatzelOk wrote:Image
Pig Bungee jumps, as percentage of world total (Rand, 2000)

Although I was unable to find a more recent graph (these stats are compiled every 25 years), you can see that it is actually the USA and Russia that usually lead in this kind of activity, with even the UK coming ahead of China.

So please check your Sino-phobia at the door.
Pointing out that others commit similar atrocities does not necessarily justify the said action.

As a matter of fact, the report said that the Chinese netizens reacted with disgust, which IMHO is pretty reasonable, and the theme park was doing the right thing in apologising -- let's hope lessons are learnt.

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]