California court rules that bees are a type of fish...... - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

News stories of lesser political significance, but still of international interest.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Forum rules: Please include a source with news articles. No stupid or joke stories. The usual forum rules also still apply.
Godstud wrote:In short, they did it by using a "technicality". The result is that bees are protected, which was the goal, after all.

Sorry, bees are not fish..I wrote birds.

What can I say Godstud, I’m not going to argue this point again. The amount of across the board species decline is testament to shittily written legislation that protects precisely zero.
ness31 wrote:A bird is simply not a fish.

Actually, it is. A bird is a vertebrate, and all vertebrates are descended from fish (specifically, lobe-finned fish). Since cladistic analysis must include all the descendants of a clade of animals in the definition of that clade for it to be biologically meaningful, then it follows that all vertebrates are fish, and since birds are vertebrates then birds are fish. QED.

Bees, on the other hand, are not vertebrates and are therefore not fish. Except legally. Lol.
Potemkin wrote:Actually, it is. A bird is a vertebrate, and all vertebrates are descended from fish (specifically, lobe-finned fish). Since cladistic analysis must include all the descendants of a clade of animals in the definition of that clade for it to be biologically meaningful, then it follows that all vertebrates are fish, and since birds are vertebrates then birds are fish. QED.

Bees, on the other hand, are not vertebrates and are therefore not fish. Except legally. Lol.

Lol, I know, I know you’ve picked me up on this before :lol: I made a mistake. I was meant to write bee. My subconscious clearly doesn’t like the bird/fish comparison either…and not without reason mind :)

In common parlance, fish, birds and bees are different creatures.

Let’s say theres a proposal for a mine site on a disputed piece of land with cultural significance. A very rare bird, (the type with wings) also happens to live there. Development would impinge on its breeding and its future existence.

How do you think the reports should read? “We hold strong concerns for the viability of a fish species that inhabits the area OR, we hold strong concerns for a bird species that inhabits the area?”?

What kind of custodians are we exactly? Do we want to protect? Or do we want to hide behind legalities and biological clades? :hmm:
ness31 wrote:What kind of custodians are we exactly? Do we want to protect? Or do we want to hide behind legalities and biological clades? :hmm:

What kind of custodians are we? Entrusting anything to the tender mercies of the human race is like entrusting it to a bunch of drunken frat boys....

Potemkin wrote:What kind of custodians are we? Entrusting anything to the tender mercies of the human race is like entrusting it to a bunch of drunken frat boys....

I knew you would say something to that.

No other man has ever left me so high and dry, on so multiple an occasion as you Pot :|
ness31 wrote:I knew you would say something to that.

No other man has ever left me so high and dry, on so multiple an occasion as you Pot :|

What can I say? It's just a gift I have, @ness31. :)
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Not in this case. Israel treats the entire Palest[…]

I spent literal months researching on the many ac[…]

meh, we're always in crsis. If you look at the […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...Other than graduating from high school and bei[…]