Netanyahu's lecturing of Obama - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
It's come out that once again, Netanyahu forgets himself, speaking out of turn, cutting Obama off, getting rude, almost like Donald Trump, and has lectured Obama. See for yourself;

Obama’s Tortuous Ties With Benjamin Netanyahu, Inside Out

Benjamin Netanyahu is hardly the first Israeli prime minister to lecture an American president. Menachem Begin often drove Jimmy Carter crazy with his long-winded speeches on the legacy of the Holocaust and the history of Judea and Samaria. Yitzhak Rabin barely left time for questions after he finished dissecting the Middle East for Bill Clinton; Ehud Barak was no different, possibly even worse, because he spoke five times faster. And before they became the best of friends, Ariel Sharon exasperated Bush Jr. by reading from prepared index cards and hardly letting the U.S. President get a word in edgewise.

Netanyahu’s lectures, nonetheless, seem to aggravate American presidents more. At their first meeting in 1996, Netanyahu admonished Clinton and his aides on their wrongheaded views of Palestinians, after which Clinton famously fumed that the Israeli prime minister doesn’t seem to know “Who’s the fucking superpower here." As Jeffrey Goldberg reveals in his monumental magnum opus on “The Obama Doctrine” Obama felt much the same way, though his reaction was dramatically different. “I’m the African American son of a single mother, and I live here, in this house. I live in the White House. I managed to get elected president of the United States. You think I don’t understand what you’re talking about, but I do,” was Obama’s reported retort.

The empirical evidence suggests that at least part of the blame for his listeners’ frustration lies with Netanyahu himself. The Israeli prime minister is enamored with the myth of his own powers of persuasion, perpetuated by sycophants after his numerous speeches in front of Congress or the UN General Assembly, which are always touted as towering oratory even though they never actually change a thing. Netanyahu also suffers from a lack of redeeming features that helped to mitigate reactions to his predecessors’ long winded sermons: He doesn’t have Rabin’s endearing authenticity or Barak’s blinding brilliance or Sharon’s surprising charm or even Begin’s old-world manners and passion for principle, which frustrated Carter immensely but also earned his grudging respect. 

In his decade plus in office, Netanyahu can’t point to a single meaningful relationship with any world leader, and even those who seem promising at the outset inevitably dissolve into disappointment and recriminations, in Israeli politics as well as on the world stage. Inevitably he is viewed not only as condescending, as Goldberg write of Obama’s feelings, but also as disingenuous: Netanyahu’s interlocutors tend to vent their frustration with their own gullibility for believing that Netanyahu genuinely seeks peace with the Palestinians.

Nonetheless, Obama’s extraordinary personal retort to Netanyahu as well as a several other themes of his overall foreign policy doctrine as described by Goldberg provide several illuminating views of the depth and breadth of the multi-faceted clash between the two leaders.  Clinton and others may have been put off by the same kind of arrogance and condescension that Obama felt, but his rage seems fueled by his own unique background as “An African American child of a single mother.” Rather than appreciating the resilience and intelligence needed for someone like him to reach the White House, Obama implies that his background may have led Netanyahu to take him for a fool. For Clinton, Netanyahu’s arrogance may have been the exception but for Obama it could very well have sounded damningly similar to the rule. In Obama’s ears, Netanyahu’s tone probably echoed the kind of barely contained, racially tinged contempt that laces the public statements of many of the Israeli prime minister’s best buddies in the Republican Party and in the conservative media.
Last edited by redcarpet on 15 Mar 2016 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
I recall reading Hafez al-Assad would do exactly the same to Kissinger when the US and Syria got into talks to defuse the post-Yom Kippur War situation in 1974 (which threatened a renewed war, so the US wanted to stabilize things). I would not be surprised if the Saudis, Egyptians and other American Middle Eastern allies did the same.
wat0n wrote:I recall reading Hafez al-Assad would do exactly the same to Kissinger when the US and Syria got into talks to defuse the post-Yom Kippur War situation in 1974 (which threatened a renewed war, so the US wanted to stabilize things). I would not be surprised if the Saudis, Egyptians and other American Middle Eastern allies did the same.

I'm not saying only Israeli leaders do it, but let's stick to Mr. Net. He's the Israeli PM now and he's doing it. Even when the guest of the POTUS in the Oval Office.
Netanyahu is a Jewish supremacist. Jewish supremacists have just got used to western Goyim behaving as uncle toms. There's only one way to deal with them and that's to tell them firmly, categorically and in no uncertain terms where to go. I'm fine to let go of the past and not relate to people on their biological inheritance, how ever if Jews choose to identify with the past, then they are the ones wo need to prove themselves, they are the ones who have been racist and bigoted for the last 3000 years. Just because non Judaist Jews suffered at the hands of European ethnic nationalism for a couple of centuries or less doesn't re set the scales. Jews were luck not just to survive but multiply in the Middle Ages, a privilege not granted to Pagan populations.
Last edited by Rich on 15 Mar 2016 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
Also he's probably internally in Likud meetings lectured and pressured that he's not pushing back on Obama's I/P policy and should 'stand up' to Obama, etc. But that means a more confrontational relationship. One that isn't mutual, balanced, fair. But tilts it more in favour of Israel at the expense of US interests & correspondingly prolong the occupation.

He's already subverted the US Congress and demanded to be allowed to give a speech while the Israel election campaign was ongoing, logically for electoral gain. The way he looped around Obama's polite objections(not that they could legally stop him, but legitimate given the ongoing election) smacked almost of racism. Can anyone imagine him doing that to Bush jr. or what have you? It's was a disgrace. Hijacking someone else's natl. legislature for political gain in your own country's election.....jeez.

@FiveofSwords In previous posts, you have sai[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 23, Thursday Fascists detained under defense[…]

Taiwan-China crysis.

War or no war? China holds military drills around[…]

Waiting for Starmer

@JohnRawls I think the smaller parties will d[…]