Constitutional Single-State Solution - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
I don't see why everybody, including America, keep talking about a two-state solution.

What I see is that neither Israelis nor Palestinians are interested in a two-state solution. On the one hand, the Israelis keep building settlements in the West Bank indicating that they are not interested in giving that piece of land up. Obviously, Israel can't lose access to fresh water form the river of Jordan. On the other hand, the Palestinians still insist that they will never give up the right of return, which means they are interested in the piece of land that Israel used to hold *before* the six-days war.

Consequently, I see that both sides of the conflict will never accept a two-state solution. So let's all stop pushing them to accept something they don't want. The solution to the conflict is a single state with two ethnic groups, and an immutable constitution that defines the rights of all citizens of this state regardless of their ethnic group.

Discuss.
Neither side accepts a binational single state solution. Both want an exclusive one-state solution, as far as I can see. Anything else, even if passed in the UNGA, won't successfully be implemented. It would just mean violence, riots, more deaths, etc.
Sphinx wrote:Some propaganda can fix this.

Right, so people with budge just because of rhetoric, not changes in the physical facts on the ground? Not all people are gullible. Especially not the politically aware and active.
Sphinx wrote:The point that I am making in the OP is that those who are politically aware and active are proving everyday that they are not taking the two-states solution seriously.

You are partly correct insofar as the Israelis have no intention to end their occupation of the Palestine Territories but a single state would mean it could not be a Jewish state which the Zionists would never allow. What the Israelis plan is a Jewish state to include most of the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, with a series of dependent Palestinian Reservations, similar to Gaza.
I suggested that idea before.
However with one difference. UN forcing the solution with military force
And both sides disarmed with the area placed under UN security forces for a couple of decades by the least in order to allow social institutions to end the division peacefully without the risk of violence.
This will as well give the ability to put other major issues in the region on the table in a secure conditions to solve it without the cause of division always being there.
Sphinx wrote:The solution to the conflict is a single state with two ethnic groups, and an immutable constitution that defines the rights of all citizens of this state regardless of their ethnic group.

Discuss.

Israel-Palestine currently is one state, with occupied regions and apartheid-like laws dependent on what your ethnicity is.

I support it as a one-state solution equality for all would be the law.
skinster wrote:Israel-Palestine currently is one state, with occupied regions and apartheid-like laws dependent on what your ethnicity is.

I support it as a one-state solution equality for all would be the law.

Yes, in effect you are correct. The longer the current status continues the inevitability of an official one-state of Apartheid Israel cannot be avoided.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:give the Palestinians Independence and leave them alone in their own dirt

but Israel keeps taking the Palestinians dirt and refuses to leave them alone.

throughout the conflict the origin and driving force is taking of the Palestinians lands and the refusal to let them govern themselves.

I understand that, but my point was that speciati[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]