PA to stop Gaza electricity - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Palestinian Authority to Stop Funding Israeli-supplied Electricity to Hamas-controlled Gaza
Haaretz Barak Ravid and Jack Khoury Apr 27, 2017 9:43 AM

The Palestinian Authority notified Israel on Thursday that it will stop paying for the electricity Israel provides to the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip, effective immediately.

The PA told the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, Maj. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, that it will immediately stop paying for the electricity

Israel provides the Gaza strip, Mordechai’s bureau said.
This is the first significant step taken by the Palestinian Authority as part of its change of policy toward the Hamas government in Gaza.

The coordinator’s bureau stated that Israel provides Gaza with electricity through ten transmission lines that carry 125 megawatts. This amounts to 30 percent of the power required by the Strip, at an estimated cost of 40 million shekels ($11 million) a month. Israel subtracts this amount from the taxes it collects for the Palestinian Authority. 

A 24-hour electricity supply to Gaza requires the production of 400 megawatts.

Another example of both Palestinian governing entities putting their power struggle ahead of the well being of their people.
redcarpet wrote:Palestinian Authority to Stop Funding Israeli-supplied Electricity to Hamas-controlled Gaza
Haaretz Barak Ravid and Jack Khoury Apr 27, 2017 9:43 AM

Another example of both Palestinian governing entities putting their power struggle ahead of the well being of their people.

If the Palestinian people were finally sick and tired of their failed leadership, they would rise up and get rid of them, then tell the new leaders to recognize the state of Israel, and sign a lasting peace treaty. That would immediately open the door to a two state solution, and it would happen fairly quickly.
stephen50right wrote:If the Palestinian people were finally sick and tired of their failed leadership, they would rise up and get rid of them, then tell the new leaders to recognize the state of Israel, and sign a lasting peace treaty. That would immediately open the door to a two state solution, and it would happen fairly quickly.

Both Hamas & Fatah are armed to the teeth. It'd be a quickly suppressed rebellion.
redcarpet wrote:Both Hamas & Fatah are armed to the teeth. It'd be a quickly suppressed rebellion.

If the Palestinian people wish to do it, then they will find a way.

Sadly for them, I don't think the Palestinian people are ready yet. So for the foreseeable future, they will wallow in their own misery and poverty.
Fictitious nation. They become "nation" because they were trapped in the boundaries the British called "Palestine", which was never a country till then. In Gaza, they are affiliated to Egypt in culture, demography and language. In the West Bank they were staunch supporters of Hasham (Greater Syria). Only the hatred to Israel "united" them for few decades.
noir wrote:Fictitious nation. They become "nation" because they were trapped in the boundaries the British called "Palestine", which was never a country till then. In Gaza, they are affiliating to Egypt in culture, demography and language. In the West Bank they were staunch supporters of Hasham (Greater Syria). Only the hatred to Israel "united" them.

Well, if they decide on two separate countries in Gaza and the West Bank, I don't think anyone would have any problem at all with that.
as a citizen of israel, i can say that our interest is to make peace. THE best option is to be like Europe, 2 states, cooperating with each other at all matters (politics, economy, agriculture, medicine), to be with open borders and exption that the other side is not he enemy.
this is the best option for everybody, but because the PA and many other arab countries doesn't even recognize israel it is impossible the reach this solution.
the best intrest is peace of course. Although you cant make peace if the other side is not willing to and doesn't even recognize you as a state.
That's the ideal but after ages of hate culture it's almost impossible. The best option is to give it back to Egypt from whom Israel capture it in 67, but they don't want to listen about it. They have their own demographic explosion to take also this violent hole. What is left is immigration.
Both factions are corrupt vipers' nests. Hamas is aiming for a rapprochement with the Egyptians by distancing itself from the Muslim Brotherhood. But will the Egyptians fall for it, especially now that the situation in the Sinai peninsula is escalating. And the Israeli have no reason to trust Hamas, but now that Hezbollah is becoming increasingly more dangerous, they might be open to renewed negotiations.
The PA which is funded by the US is joining its boss and Israel in war crimes (collective punishment) on the people of Gaza, while it acts as Israel's security in the West Bank. What a surprise.
The EU has become the largest donor of financial and technical assistance to the Palestinian Authority. Javier Solana, the EU commissar for foreign policy and security, declared that Europe’s duty was to help the Palestinian Authority, adding, “If it didn’t exist we would have to invent it!” (Le Temps, Geneva, February 4, 2004.) In fact, the Palestinian Authority is Europe’s creation, as was Arafat’s international status as PLO leader for 30 years.

Since 1993 the European Commission and the EU member-states combined have been by far the largest aid contributor to the Palestinians.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna ... lestinians
"Europe is using the Palestinians to settle its historic account with the Jews"

What I learned from working with European organizations in the Palestinian Authority

Eldad Beck, Berlin 06/05/2017

When I worked for European "civil organizations" operating in the region, I saw how they surrendered to every Palestinian dictate and become the biggest obstacle to peace

Somewhere in the second half of the 1990s, when I still believed that it would be possible to advance a political settlement between Israel and the Palestinians on the basis of some sort of division of what was left of Mandatory Palestine, I decided to make a career change. Instead of being a journalist following events, reporting on them and commenting them, I decided to become involved in the actual work. As I was not only Israeli but a citizen of a European country as well, I joined the ranks of a "civil organization" of that country, which assisted developing countries.

The quotation marks around the organization's description are not accidental. Most European "civil organizations" receive government and public funding in one way or another. In retrospect, they constitute a hidden political arm of the countries that finance them, and in the supranational European era of the EU as well, whose policies are dictated by its member states. In other words, European countries have a dual tool to finance "civil organizations" that carry out their foreign policy: national budgets and European budgets
The financing of these organizations is based on fairly clear criteria, which determine the areas in which these organizations can invest the governmental-public-European funds. These "civil organizations" are generally unable to promote projects that are inconsistent with the foreign policy of the countries financing them.

To illustrate this, let me return to my personal story. I was recruited to the position of Project Coordinator in East Africa by the European civil organization, but I stipulated that I would be allowed to promote parallel projects in the Palestinian Authority areas. Working in Africa is very important to me, but at the time it was even more important for me to try to contribute to the creation of a better reality in the territories of the Palestinian Authority, which would facilitate a future political settlement.

Working with the Palestinian Authority opened my eyes to a very different reality from that had been presented to me and many other Israeli journalists. Since most of the Palestinian officials and groups with whom I was in contact did not know that I was an Israeli and did not realize that I spoke Arabic, they did not bother to conceal their true future plans, which had nothing to do with the fantasy of the "two-state solution."

As part of my work framework for the European organization which employed me, I included plans for "Peace Education". I believed then, as I do now, that without peace education on the Palestinian side, it will never be possible to create a new Middle East reality. Those responsible for funding projects in that European country and the European Union rejected the idea, arguing that priority must be given to infrastructure development projects. Their explanation was that without an infrastructure that would improve the living conditions of the Palestinian population, it would not be possible to convince the Palestinians that peace would work for their own benefit. I explained that without peace education, the risk of another violent confrontation was very large, and in that case all investment in infrastructure will go down the drain. It was like talking to a wall.

Europe itself has invested heavily in peace education among its various nations, with the understanding that without this education it will not be possible to build a new Europe, but it has absolutely refused to invest a cent in peace education for the Palestinians. The level of anti Israeli and anti Jewish incitement was already known at the time, at the end of the 1990s, to anyone who worked in the Palestinian territories, but the Europeans preferred to keep their eyes closed and promote their own policy.

A few years later, the second intifada broke out. By that time I was no longer in that organization, since its modus operandi - like that of other "civil organizations" and "NGOs" - was not to my liking. The renewed cycle of violence caused destruction of a large part of the infrastructure in which the Europeans had invested. Of course, Israel was blamed for the destruction - not the shortsightedness of the Europeans, heaven forbid.

There was another area in which I tried to promote initiatives: improving the living conditions of the residents of the refugee camps. The Palestinian Authority opposed such projects completely. Senior PA officials made it clear to us: "The refugee camps are a political issue, and they will remain in their present situation until a solution is found to the refugee question, that is, their return to their homes."

There was nothing surprising about this Palestinian position. The problem was the willingness of the European side to accept the Palestinian position, without attempting to change it by any means - from polite diplomacy to heavy political and economic pressures. The Europeans simply agreed to the Palestinian dictates and accepted the perpetuation of the situation of the residents of the refugee camps as something that goes without saying. They could, for example, have conditioned continued financial aid to the Palestinian Authority on resettling the "refugees" - most of whom are not refugees at all, but descendants of refugees who are not allowed to lead a normal life, in order to preserve the Palestinian dream of destroying the State of Israel.

The Europeans could have made it clear to the Palestinians that the "refugees" would never return to their homes or to Israel in a future agreement. They have enough power to convince the Palestinians, but they do not use this force against the Palestinians, only against Israel, for a very simple reason: Europe has become a side in the Israeli-Arab conflict. Europe is interested in the continuation of the conflict, until the Arab side – in this case, the Palestinian side – wins, and the Israeli side loses.

Europe is not interested in peace between Israelis and Palestinians. Europe wants to create an Israel that is so strongly dependent on it, that it can dictate the rules of the game and subjugate the Israelis to its will. It would never occur to Europeans to use the same method vis-a-vis the Palestinians to promote a fair and realistic settlement. Europe is using the Palestinians to settle its historic account with the Jews. Sincere Europeans believe that the Jewish state was ostensibly established as a result of the persecution of Jews in Europe and in accordance with a European promise made at the end of World War I out of tactical political reasons - and not as an acknowledgment of the historical connection the Jews have to their historical homeland - the Europeans consider it a "moral obligation" to correct the "historic injustice" inflicted on the Arabs and to weaken Israel in any way possible.

I disassociated myself from the illusion of the "peace process" even before the outbreak of the second intifada. I witnessed the Palestinians' unwillingness to reconcile with the Jews, the destructive actions of the Europeans, and the total blindness of the Israeli "peace camp", who refused to recognize the facts and preferred to continue to hold on to dreams completely divorced from reality.

Everything that has happened since then has only confirmed my conclusions. And yet, twenty years later, there are too many Israelis who allow Europe's various governments - including "friendly" ones like that of Germany - to continue its deliberate sabotage against the well-being of the State of Israel and, in retrospect, against the well-being of the Palestinians.

Instead of acknowledging that the Middle East does not operate according to "political initiatives" formulated in Brussels, Paris, Berlin, or London, but according to a very different logic - certainly since the outbreak of the 'Arab Spring', the Europeans cling with insane fervor to ideas that have completely lost their relevance, like the "two-state solution."

Every European that truly cares about Israel's existence, security, and welfare should have understood in recent years, at least since the implementation of the Disengagement Plan from the Gaza Strip, that any further territorial concessions by Israel in Judea and Samaria would constitute suicide. But it is the Europeans who are now spearheading the blitz on Israel to agree to the establishment of a Palestinian state in Judea and Samaria. These are the same Europeans who did nothing to close down the "refugee camps" in the Gaza Strip after Israel left this area because they accepted the Palestinian position on the "right of return," that is, Israel's demographic liquidation.

With the adoption of the Palestinian Authority's "boycott policy" - the spiritual legacy of the Mufti Haj Amin al-Husseini's failed boycott policy during the Great Arab Revolt of the 1930s (Arab and not Palestinian) and the Arab boycott policy declared after the establishment of Israel - the Europeans primarily harm the welfare of the Palestinian population, and prevent any possibility of future coexistence in the region. Thus, for example, medical projects for the Arab population in Judea and Samaria that were developed at Ariel University are not implemented, because the Europeans froze their financial participation in them.

Europe has become the biggest obstacle to advancing a political settlement between Israel and its Arab neighbors. In Europe, there are many examples of arrangements that could serve as a model for a political solution between Israel and the Palestinians, such as the autonomous regions in the Austrian South Tyrol region, the Basque region or Catalonia in Spain, Corsica in France, Scotland in the United Kingdom and more. But instead of seeking inspiration for a future agreement in Europe, Israel allowed Europe to stir up its internal affairs through "civilian organizations", and to delay any agreement by supporting "NGOs" and government policies that support the Palestinians, who are not interested in such an agreement. Israel must develop a very different dialogue with Europe, in order to remove the European obstacle from the path of peace.

^ :lol:

You just posted a Facebook post of someone that is obviously full of shit, as can be seen from the first line. Although I took the time to google the name of this person and he doesn't appear to have any history as a journalist or as a member of any organization. From the broken English, my guess is he's an Israeli, perhaps he once worked in Israel's War Room?
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]