Netanyahu’s long-term plan for Gaza? - Page 24 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
wat0n wrote:You have yet to address the fact that this social hierarchy was imposed by the recent conquerors of the region. We are not talking about a tribal society with its own social hierarchy.

Note that under the Umayyads, Arab Muslims were at the top. This includes those coming from the Arabian Peninsula.

No one is disputing that the social hierarchy was imposed on the rest by the people on top. This is how societies operate.

It follows from their verifiable behavior.

How so?

How so? As long as staff salaries remain under the purview of the Ministry of Health, they have every reason not to speak against Hamas.

Unless, of course, they still depend on Hamas.

Is the IDF supposed to get rid of Hamas? Yes.
Did the hospital staff know that at the moment the hospital was attacked and shut down? Yes.
Are hospital staff intelligent enough to put two and two together snd realize that the people with guns in their hallways had, at that point, stopped Hamas from being their employer? Yes.

I doubt payroll is even an issue.

No, I am asking you how could Israel know Al Shifa was not being used for military purposes anymore (which, as we know, it still was regardless), despite their intelligence, without being physically present.

Because anyone who was using the hospital for military purposes would have left four days before the attack.
Pants-of-dog wrote:No one is disputing that the social hierarchy was imposed on the rest by the people on top. This is how societies operate.

...People on the top who came from abroad and conquered the region. Why isn't this settler colonialism again?

Pants-of-dog wrote:How so?

Hamas fighters avoid openly carrying weapons when they aren't near civilians and their infrastructure the IDF may hesitate to damage when attacking these fighters.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Is the IDF supposed to get rid of Hamas? Yes.
Did the hospital staff know that at the moment the hospital was attacked and shut down? Yes.
Are hospital staff intelligent enough to put two and two together snd realize that the people with guns in their hallways had, at that point, stopped Hamas from being their employer? Yes.

Huh, no the Israeli soldiers had not stopped Hamas from being their employer.

Pants-of-dog wrote:I doubt payroll is even an issue.

How so? It's not like Israel is going to pay their salaries.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Because anyone who was using the hospital for military purposes would have left four days before the attack.

Not really, Hamas was operating from the compound and its surroundings until the very end, and you still did not address the fact that Israel had no way to know if the hospital was still being used for military purposes without getting there.

And no, it is not necessary for Hamas to be physically present at a building at all times to still use it for military purposes - there have been many instances of civilian buildings being used to store arms (including some that can be used remotely), which is clearly a military use.
@wat0n

Settler Colonialism

Didn't the Jews come along, conquer the Canaanites, and impose their religion on the pagans?

I remember watching Ancient Aliens and reading the Bible. It had something to do with the Ark of the Covenant. And the Baal worshippers got their arses kicked because the Jews were using superior extraterrestrial tech.

:lol:
wat0n wrote:...People on the top who came from abroad and conquered the region. Why isn't this settler colonialism again?

It may or may not be settler colonialism. We do not know yet.

A social hierarchy does not have to be settler colonialism and forced assimilation always and in every situation.

There are examples of social hierarchy that have nothing to do with settler colonialism and forced assimilation.

Hamas fighters avoid openly carrying weapons when they aren't near civilians and their infrastructure the IDF may hesitate to damage when attacking these fighters.

Is this supposed to be two separate sentences?

Huh, no the Israeli soldiers had not stopped Hamas from being their employer.

How so? It's not like Israel is going to pay their salaries.

Since Hamas shut down the hospital and is killing Hamas, it is illogical to assume the hospital staff are still employed.

Not really, Hamas was operating from the compound and its surroundings until the very end, and you still did not address the fact that Israel had no way to know if the hospital was still being used for military purposes without getting there.

And no, it is not necessary for Hamas to be physically present at a building at all times to still use it for military purposes - there have been many instances of civilian buildings being used to store arms (including some that can be used remotely), which is clearly a military use.

There was ample time for Hamas to leave (if they were there in the first place) and they must have ( and took everything with them) if they were there, since there is no evidence Hamas used the hospital for military purposes.

You have significantly changed the goalposts.

You previously argued that the IDF knew Hamas was using the hospital and this justified the mass graves and denying civilians medical care. Now you are arguing that the mass graves and civilian deaths are justified because the IDF dis not know and they were justified using lethal violence against civilians on a fact finding mission, regardless of the results.
ingliz wrote:@wat0n

Settler Colonialism

Didn't the Jews come along, conquer the Canaanites, and impose their religion on the pagans?

I remember watching Ancient Aliens and reading the Bible. It had something to do with the Ark of the Covenant. And the Baal worshippers got their arses kicked because the Jews were using superior extraterrestrial tech.

You should tell @Pants-of-dog that "settler colonialism" is a silly construct itself.

As you said, according to the Bible Abraham arrived from Ur in what is today's Iraq. But it's not just about whatever the Bible says - ancient Canaanites themselves seem to have arrived from the Zagros (Turkey-Iran-Iraq border) and the Caucasus, based on the genetic analysis of archaeological remains. This would also explain why exactly is it that all the peoples in the region (Druzes, Jews of all major subethnic groups, Lebanese, Palestinians and Syrians) show varying degrees of ancestry from the Caucasus and the Zagros.

Agranat-Tamir et. al. (2020) wrote:Summary

We report genome-wide DNA data for 73 individuals from five archaeological sites across the Bronze and Iron Ages Southern Levant. These individuals, who share the “Canaanite” material culture, can be modeled as descending from two sources: (1) earlier local Neolithic populations, and (2) populations related to the Chalcolithic Zagros or the Bronze Age Caucasus. The non-local contribution increased over time, as evinced by three outliers who can be modeled as descendants of recent migrants. We show evidence that different “Canaanite” groups genetically resemble each other more than other populations. We find that Levant-related modern populations typically have substantial ancestry coming from populations related to the Chalcolithic Zagros and the Bronze Age Southern Levant. These groups also harbor ancestry from sources we cannot fully model with the available data, highlighting the critical role of post-Bronze Age migrations into the region over the past 3000 years.

Due to its geographical location and its climate, it is not surprising to see that Israel and Palestine have always featured large migratory flows and have been conquered by all sorts of empires.

It's also why he plays dumb about the folly of using it to analyze this conflict as he does below, but I suppose that when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail:

Pants-of-dog wrote:It may or may not be settler colonialism. We do not know yet.

A social hierarchy does not have to be settler colonialism and forced assimilation always and in every situation.

There are examples of social hierarchy that have nothing to do with settler colonialism and forced assimilation.

I am still waiting to see how the Arab conquest of Palestine and the Levant in general wasn't settler colonialism when it fulfills all its conditions.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Is this supposed to be two separate sentences?

Do you have anything to dispute?

Pants-of-dog wrote:Since Hamas shut down the hospital and is killing Hamas, it is illogical to assume the hospital staff are still employed.

Hamas did not shut down the hospital. It was still taking patients as fighting raged, and it is still taking patients now.

Employees also have legitimate reasons to be concerned about keeping their jobs after the war - cooperation with Israel could be seen as treason by a future Palestinian administration.

Pants-of-dog wrote:There was ample time for Hamas to leave (if they were there in the first place) and they must have ( and took everything with them) if they were there, since there is no evidence Hamas used the hospital for military purposes.

You have significantly changed the goalposts.

You previously argued that the IDF knew Hamas was using the hospital and this justified the mass graves and denying civilians medical care. Now you are arguing that the mass graves and civilian deaths are justified because the IDF dis not know and they were justified using lethal violence against civilians on a fact finding mission, regardless of the results.

Israel and the US have intelligence saying the hospital was used by Hamas, certainly that intelligence can become outdated due to changes in the situation on the ground, which is why only physically arriving to the hospital could be seen as the ultimate means to see what's going on there.

There is evidence of guns being found in the hospital, of tunnels that were not connected to any hospital buildings (weird, they would be connected to them if they were meant to be used by staff) and remains of hostages were found in the vicinity of the hospital, again, suggesting it was being used for cover.

No, none of this is "changing the goalposts".
wat0n wrote:I am still waiting to see how the Arab conquest of Palestine and the Levant in general wasn't settler colonialism when it fulfills all its conditions.

No. I never claimed it was not settler colonialism.

Now, please show that this was settler colonialism and that it has an impact on the current war.

Do you have anything to dispute?

I am not going to address posts that are so badly written that I cannot figure out your argument.

Hamas did not shut down the hospital. It was still taking patients as fighting raged, and it is still taking patients now.

The IDF shut down the hospital in the attack.

At the time of the attack, it was not known if it would be reopened. Consequently, it is impossible to support an argument where the doctors were known to be employed by Hamas at that time.

Employees also have legitimate reasons to be concerned about keeping their jobs after the war - cooperation with Israel could be seen as treason by a future Palestinian administration.

So you believe that Hamas will still be running Palestine after the war?

Israel and the US have intelligence saying the hospital was used by Hamas, certainly that intelligence can become outdated due to changes in the situation on the ground, which is why only physically arriving to the hospital could be seen as the ultimate means to see what's going on there.

There is evidence of guns being found in the hospital, of tunnels that were not connected to any hospital buildings (weird, they would be connected to them if they were meant to be used by staff) and remains of hostages were found in the vicinity of the hospital, again, suggesting it was being used for cover.

No, none of this is "changing the goalposts".

Please stop repeating claims that I have already addressed.

Unless you are going to explain why hospital staff allowed Hamas to shut down its MRI room, I will ignore this tangent.
Pants-of-dog wrote:No. I never claimed it was not settler colonialism.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Now, please show that this was settler colonialism and that it has an impact on the current war.

I already showed how it's settler colonialism and also how it has an impact on not simply the current war but on the ideology motivating Palestinian irredentism.

Pants-of-dog wrote:I am not going to address posts that are so badly written that I cannot figure out your argument.

No, you are not going to address posts you can't address, which is very different.

It is not badly written at all, and it is not false to say Hamas fighters have shown they will not carry arms openly if they believe they can be targeted by Israel for it. They will only do so when they feel safe enough to, and that's when they are protected - for example, by being close to a civilian building Israel will hesitate to hit.

Pants-of-dog wrote:The IDF shut down the hospital in the attack.

And it's reopened.

Pants-of-dog wrote:At the time of the attack, it was not known if it would be reopened. Consequently, it is impossible to support an argument where the doctors were known to be employed by Hamas at that time.

But it was known the hospital was going to reopen after the attack, and it reopened soon after.

Pants-of-dog wrote:So you believe that Hamas will still be running Palestine after the war?

Hopefully not, but why do you think the Palestinian Authority couldn't punish them for collaboration with Israel if it was handed Gaza?

It is entirely rational for them not to cooperate with Israel in any way, since it's clear Israel won't rule over them.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Please stop repeating claims that I have already addressed.

Unless you are going to explain why hospital staff allowed Hamas to shut down its MRI room, I will ignore this tangent.

I think I explained this just fine, civilians can't stop Hamas fighters from doing whatever they want.

We did indeed talk about Al Shifa, and you have yet to provide a good reason to dismiss the intelligence and the evidence.
wat0n wrote::lol:

I already showed how it's settler colonialism and also how it has an impact on not simply the current war but on the ideology motivating Palestinian irredentism.

If you actually want to know what my position is on this is:

Islamic migration into Palestine started a very long time ago. It is unclear if this took the form of settler colonialism or some other structure of foreign imposition of culture.

Since that long ago era, Muslims and Jews have both lived in Palestine and have had changing relationships over that long time. Many times, Jews went to live in Palestine from abroad because conditions were more favourable under Muslim rule in Palestine than in other places. Also during that time, there was discontinuity among Jewish communities in the region.

So, even if settler colonialism was the original structure, the structure of the relationships between Muslim rulers and Jewish locals has changed so many ways since then that any lasting impacts are due to other structures.

So if you think that my position is “it is not settler colonialism”, you are incorrect.

….. Hamas fighters have shown they will not carry arms openly if they believe they can be targeted by Israel for it. They will only do so when they feel safe enough to, and that's when they are protected - for example, by being close to a civilian building Israel will hesitate to hit.

A feeling of safety would not be the only reason why an irregular troop would brandish a weapon.

And it's reopened.

Okay.

It reopened after the fact.

How does this affect your claim?

But it was known the hospital was going to reopen after the attack, and it reopened soon after.

Provide evidence that the hospital staff knew the hospital would reopen under Hamas control at the time they were attacked.

Also, please explain how they think Hamas will continue to be their employer if Hamas is supposed to be obliterated.

Hopefully not, but why do you think the Palestinian Authority couldn't punish them for collaboration with Israel if it was handed Gaza?

It is entirely rational for them not to cooperate with Israel in any way, since it's clear Israel won't rule over them.

Why would the PA do that?

Are they mustachioed villains who just go around being awful even if they get no benefit from it?
Pants-of-dog wrote:If you actually want to know what my position is on this is:

Islamic migration into Palestine started a very long time ago. It is unclear if this took the form of settler colonialism or some other structure of foreign imposition of culture.

Since that long ago era, Muslims and Jews have both lived in Palestine and have had changing relationships over that long time. Many times, Jews went to live in Palestine from abroad because conditions were more favourable under Muslim rule in Palestine than in other places. Also during that time, there was discontinuity among Jewish communities in the region.

So, even if settler colonialism was the original structure, the structure of the relationships between Muslim rulers and Jewish locals has changed so many ways since then that any lasting impacts are due to other structures.

So if you think that my position is “it is not settler colonialism”, you are incorrect.

One thing that did not change throughout the centuries is that the settler colonialism of the Islamic expansion permanently left Muslims as the socially and politically dominant group in Israel and Palestine so, using your approach, although the structures changed the settler colonialism remained.

I am sure you would say the same if we were talking about indigenous peoples in the Americas.

Pants-of-dog wrote:A feeling of safety would not be the only reason why an irregular troop would brandish a weapon.

Sure, however, it is certainly a reason. Dead fighters are not useful.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Okay.

It reopened after the fact.

How does this affect your claim?

How doesn't it? Israel isn't paying their salaries, as far as I'm aware. They are still dependent on the Ministry of Health.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Provide evidence that the hospital staff knew the hospital would reopen under Hamas control at the time they were attacked.

Simple, there was no evidence that Israel intended to shut Al Shifa down and indeed sent aid as soon as it took control of it.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Also, please explain how they think Hamas will continue to be their employer if Hamas is supposed to be obliterated.

It doesn't need to. The Palestinian Authority may also choose to punish them if they collaborate with Israel, and armed groups affiliated with it (with Fatah, specifically) have done so even during the war.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Why would the PA do that?

Are they mustachioed villains who just go around being awful even if they get no benefit from it?

Why wouldn't it? The PA has a clear interest to have no one who's collaborating with Israel in its payroll. It has every incentive to demand employees to be loyal to it, just like Hamas does.
wat0n wrote:One thing that did not change throughout the centuries is that the settler colonialism of the Islamic expansion permanently left Muslims as the socially and politically dominant group in Israel and Palestine so, using your approach, although the structures changed the settler colonialism remained.

I am sure you would say the same if we were talking about indigenous peoples in the Americas.

You have yet to show that settler colonialism occurred.

Sure, however, it is certainly a reason. Dead fighters are not useful.

Okay. Why is your argument more plausible than anything else?

How doesn't it? Israel isn't paying their salaries, as far as I'm aware. They are still dependent on the Ministry of Health.

I doubt they are being paid at all.

There is a war going on.

Simple, there was no evidence that Israel intended to shut Al Shifa down and indeed sent aid as soon as it took control of it.

They did shut it down.

Hamas is being obliterated.

There is no reason for the hospital staff to think Hamas wil ever call the shots again.

It doesn't need to. The Palestinian Authority may also choose to punish them if they collaborate with Israel, and armed groups affiliated with it (with Fatah, specifically) have done so even during the war.

If you cannot provide an incentive for the hospital staff to believe Hamas will win the war, this tangent can be ignored.

Why wouldn't it? The PA has a clear interest to have no one who's collaborating with Israel in its payroll. It has every incentive to demand employees to be loyal to it, just like Hamas does.

If you cannot provide an incentive for the PA to punish hospital staff, this tangent can be ignored.
Pants-of-dog wrote:You have yet to show that settler colonialism occurred.

I already did: The very act of conquest, then conversion to Islam (often forced, or strongly encouraged by leaving non-Muslims under a second or even third class status), then Arabization (it was necessary to learn Arabic to both read the Qu'ran and deal with the state) and also sending actual settlers from the Arabian Peninsula to live in Palestine all conform to your own concept of settler colonialism.

But you won't admit that, because it destroys your narrative and your purported justification for spreading Marxist antisemitism.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Okay. Why is your argument more plausible than anything else?

Because it is verified by actual behavior.

You have also not provided any alternative explanation.

Pants-of-dog wrote:I doubt they are being paid at all.

There is a war going on.

I would not be surprised if they were, and in any event they obviously also think about their post-war fate.

Pants-of-dog wrote:They did shut it down.

It reopened.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Hamas is being obliterated.

There is no reason for the hospital staff to think Hamas wil ever call the shots again.

But they have reason to think they don't want to be branded as Israeli collaborators. We already saw what happens to those in the West Bank.

Pants-of-dog wrote:If you cannot provide an incentive for the hospital staff to believe Hamas will win the war, this tangent can be ignored.

This is a red herring given the argument I provided earlier.

Pants-of-dog wrote:If you cannot provide an incentive for the PA to punish hospital staff, this tangent can be ignored.

The incentive is that they don't want disloyal employees.
wat0n wrote:I already did: The very act of conquest, then conversion to Islam (often forced, or strongly encouraged by leaving non-Muslims under a second or even third class status), then Arabization (it was necessary to learn Arabic to both read the Qu'ran and deal with the state) and also sending actual settlers from the Arabian Peninsula to live in Palestine all conform to your own concept of settler colonialism.

But you won't admit that, because it destroys your narrative and your purported justification for spreading Marxist antisemitism.

Settler colonialism is a very specific form of conquest. It requires a very specific economic model that has a direct impact on the relationship between the colonizer and the colonized: one that requires extermination of the latter.

You have not shown this specific arrangement, nor do you even seem to understand that this is a significant difference between settler colonialism and other forms of imperialism and colonialism.

Because it is verified by actual behavior.

You have also not provided any alternative explanation.

I did, actually.

Again, Hamas’s focus is on eroding international support for Israel by portraying Israel as genocidal.

If Hanas can goad the IDF into attacking a hospital on film, this will help Hamas.

I would not be surprised if they were, and in any event they obviously also think about their post-war fate.

It reopened.

But they have reason to think they don't want to be branded as Israeli collaborators. We already saw what happens to those in the West Bank.

What is your argument?

This is a red herring given the argument I provided earlier.

No. Your argument relies on the idea that Hamas is able to control what the hospital staff say.

If you cannot show that the hospital staff have any reason to believe that Hamas has or will have any control over them. your argument is ineffective.

The incentive is that they don't want disloyal employees.

This is not a reason to terrorize your own staff.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Settler colonialism is a very specific form of conquest. It requires a very specific economic model that has a direct impact on the relationship between the colonizer and the colonized: one that requires extermination of the latter.

You have not shown this specific arrangement, nor do you even seem to understand that this is a significant difference between settler colonialism and other forms of imperialism and colonialism.

Settler colonialism is not simply a specific type of economic system, according to the definition. But even this is also true: Non-Muslims were more heavily taxed than Muslims, again, one of the measures to get them to convert.

In the end, you just can't accept the facts because it takes away the already poor excuse for Marxist antisemitism.

Pants-of-dog wrote:I did, actually.

No, you did not.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Again, Hamas’s focus is on eroding international support for Israel by portraying Israel as genocidal.

If Hanas can goad the IDF into attacking a hospital on film, this will help Hamas.

Sure, which is why Hamas uses hospitals for cover and why Israel will hesitate to hit them.

Pants-of-dog wrote:What is your argument?

I already stated my argument. You have no counter-argument, that's why you play dumb about it.

Pants-of-dog wrote:No. Your argument relies on the idea that Hamas is able to control what the hospital staff say.

If you cannot show that the hospital staff have any reason to believe that Hamas has or will have any control over them. your argument is ineffective.

Actually the argument relies on the idea that hospital staff does not want to be branded as traitors or as Israeli collaborators. Which is true.

Pants-of-dog wrote:This is not a reason to terrorize your own staff.

It is in a dictatorship.

I thought you lived under Pinochet's dictatorship? I would think you'd understand how those work.

:)
Pants-of-dog wrote:Again, Hamas’s focus is on eroding international support for Israel by portraying Israel as genocidal.

:lol: Yes so you've admitted it. Hamas is the one that's trying to make a genocide of the Palestinians happen. The best way to avoid the extermination of the Palestinians is the extermination of Hamas. The best way to stop the Israeli's committing atrocities against Palestinians, is to eliminate Hamas's ability to provoke Israel into commiting them.
wat0n wrote:Settler colonialism is not simply a specific type of economic system, according to the definition.

No one argued that.

But even this is also true: Non-Muslims were more heavily taxed than Muslims, again, one of the measures to get them to convert.

This is exactly the type of example you would use to show that this was not settler colonialism but instead was a form of exploitative colonialism.

Taxation is not part of the specific economic model associated with settler colonialism.

No, you did not.

And then I repeated it.

Sure, which is why Hamas uses hospitals for cover and why Israel will hesitate to hit them.

So you agree with the other plausible explanations for Hamas to be walking around with weapons close to hospitals, despite the fact that you just claimed I never said that.

Actually the argument relies on the idea that hospital staff does not want to be branded as traitors or as Israeli collaborators. Which is true.

It is in a dictatorship.

At this point, this tangent can be ignored since your only motivation seems to be that you think they are villains from a comic book and you can not think of a good incentive.
Pants-of-dog wrote:No one argued that.

...Therefore you don't need whatever economic system you have in mind for settler colonialism to exist.

Pants-of-dog wrote:This is exactly the type of example you would use to show that this was not settler colonialism but instead was a form of exploitative colonialism.

Taxation is not part of the specific economic model associated with settler colonialism.

Unless taxation is used to assimilate the conquered population, then it is most definitely an instrument of settler colonialism.

You also assume that settler and exploitative colonialism are mutually exclusive. Since settler colonialism is not fundamentally about economic systems, this is not the case.

Pants-of-dog wrote:And then I repeated it.

So you agree with the other plausible explanations for Hamas to be walking around with weapons close to hospitals, despite the fact that you just claimed I never said that.

Your "alternative" explanation is simply a restatement of mine. I therefore assume you accept that Hamas is aware Israel is less likely to bomb its fighters while openly carrying weapons if they are close to civilian infrastructure like hospitals than if they are not, meaning such infrastructure is being used for shielding.

Pants-of-dog wrote:At this point, this tangent can be ignored since your only motivation seems to be that you think they are villains from a comic book and you can not think of a good incentive.

This is not a counterargument, and in any event your stupidity and hypocrisy regarding settler colonialism is indeed your lefty version of portraying Israelis, children included, as comic book villains - and a shitty comic at that - and then used to justify their massacre.

It is simply a postmodern rehash of:

Karl Marx wrote:Let us consider the actual, worldly Jew – not the Sabbath Jew, as Bauer does, but the everyday Jew.

Let us not look for the secret of the Jew in his religion, but let us look for the secret of his religion in the real Jew.

What is the secular basis of Judaism? Practical need, self-interest. What is the worldly religion of the Jew? Huckstering. What is his worldly God? Money.

Very well then! Emancipation from huckstering and money, consequently from practical, real Judaism, would be the self-emancipation of our time.

An organization of society which would abolish the preconditions for huckstering, and therefore the possibility of huckstering, would make the Jew impossible. His religious consciousness would be dissipated like a thin haze in the real, vital air of society. On the other hand, if the Jew recognizes that this practical nature of his is futile and works to abolish it, he extricates himself from his previous development and works for human emancipation as such and turns against the supreme practical expression of human self-estrangement.

We recognize in Judaism, therefore, a general anti-social element of the present time, an element which through historical development – to which in this harmful respect the Jews have zealously contributed – has been brought to its present high level, at which it must necessarily begin to disintegrate.

In the final analysis, the emancipation of the Jews is the emancipation of mankind from Judaism.
wat0n wrote:...Therefore you don't need whatever economic system you have in mind for settler colonialism to exist.

No.

Settler colonialism is not an economic model, but does require a very specific economic model to be the dominant one to differentiate this type of colonialism from other forms of colonialism.

Unless taxation is used to assimilate the conquered population, then it is most definitely an instrument of settler colonialism.

You also assume that settler and exploitative colonialism are mutually exclusive. Since settler colonialism is not fundamentally about economic systems, this is not the case.

Settler colonialism and exploitative colonialism are mutually exclusive.

The reason is the economic systems associated with each one and how they define the relationship between colonizer and colonized.

Taxation, slavery, and other ways of making money off subjects are exploitative.

Getting rid of the subjects through mass killings, forced assimilation, and ethnic cleansing are associated with settler colonialism.

Your "alternative" explanation is simply a restatement of mine. I therefore assume you accept that Hamas is aware Israel is less likely to bomb its fighters while openly carrying weapons if they are close to civilian infrastructure like hospitals than if they are not, meaning such infrastructure is being used for shielding.

No, that is not what I claimed.

There are other plausible explanations for Hamas to be walking around with weapons close to hospitals.

This is not a …… rehash of:

Accusing anyone who disagrees with you of antisemitism is a logical fallacy.

There is no incentive for the PA to threaten hospital staff into compliance. This means no motive.

Nor do the PA have the opportunity to do so, since the IDF are the only ones walking around with guns in the few hospitals that have reopened. This means no opportunity.

As well. the IDF is enforcing a monopoly on violence in the areas, removing any means for the PA to commit this crime.

In a criminal investigation, if you have no motive, means, or opportunity, it is illogical to claim the subject is a suspect in a crime.

Where is the antisemitism in this argument?
Pants-of-dog wrote:No.

Settler colonialism is not an economic model, but does require a very specific economic model to be the dominant one to differentiate this type of colonialism from other forms of colonialism.

Not really. Even under your distinction below, you can have settler colonialism and still adopt an extractive model.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Settler colonialism and exploitative colonialism are mutually exclusive.

The reason is the economic systems associated with each one and how they define the relationship between colonizer and colonized.

Taxation, slavery, and other ways of making money off subjects are exploitative.

Getting rid of the subjects through mass killings, forced assimilation, and ethnic cleansing are associated with settler colonialism.

Under this definition, for example, Spain's colonization of the Americas was not settler colonialism.

You can forcibly assimilate the local population and still make money off them.

Pants-of-dog wrote:No, that is not what I claimed.

There are other plausible explanations for Hamas to be walking around with weapons close to hospitals.

That is not what you claimed, but that's because you seemingly don't realize that your explanation is just a rehash of mine.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Accusing anyone who disagrees with you of antisemitism is a logical fallacy.

Funny, because I am simply using your own arguments.

Chris Rufo calls Claudine Gay a plagiarist? He's racist.

Your accusation against Israel also boils down to "it's racist", since settler colonialism is itself racist.

Yet you seemingly don't like it when one points out that the settler colonialism claims can also apply to the expansion of Islam in Palestine. Indeed, if anything that one fits the paradigm better.

Likewise, you love to speak about how one should consider history to speak about racism... But you don't like it when such history is used against you.

Pants-of-dog wrote:There is no incentive for the PA to threaten hospital staff into compliance. This means no motive.

The PA does have an incentive to threaten hospital staff: It is very much in its interest to see Israel delegitimized and Hamas destroyed.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Nor do the PA have the opportunity to do so,[/quote ]

It has, since it can block funds for paying government salaries in Gaza, particularly in areas that are no longer under Hamas' control.

Well, that's another issue - why hasn't Israel forced Gaza medical staff to testify whatever it wants? As you hint, Israel could perfectly execute those who refuse to.

That's not where the antisemitism is.
wat0n wrote:Not really. Even under your distinction below, you can have settler colonialism and still adopt an extractive model.

Under this definition, for example, Spain's colonization of the Americas was not settler colonialism.

You can forcibly assimilate the local population and still make money off them.

Yes, at many times, Spanish imperialism was not settler colonialism. Though many times, such as in the Chile, it was.

That is not what you claimed, but that's because you seemingly don't realize that your explanation is just a rehash of mine.

Since I am literally copying and pasting my words. it i s exactly what I said.

The PA does have an incentive to threaten hospital staff: It is very much in its interest to see Israel delegitimized and Hamas destroyed.

How does that turn into a motive?

It has, since it can block funds for paying government salaries in Gaza, particularly in areas that are no longer under Hamas' control.

According to you, withholding funds is not a coercive gesture.

But in reality, you are contradicting your previous claim that Hamas is paying them.

Please decide which you believe.

Well, that's another issue - why hasn't Israel forced Gaza medical staff to testify whatever it wants? As you hint, Israel could perfectly execute those who refuse to.

Probably because they cannot trust that their secret would be kept, which makes sense, since they would have to threaten too many people while being watched by too many eyes.

Also, you may want to fix your post.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Rancid anyone who applauds and approves genocida[…]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be als[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]