Heidegger and Marx - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discourse exclusively on the basis of historical materialist methodology.
Forum rules: No one line posts please. This forum is for discussion based on Marxism, Marxism-Leninism and similar revisions. Critique of topics not based on historical materialism belongs in the general Communism forum.
By KurtFF8
Yesterday, a professor of mine claimed that in a way Heidegger was more "radical" than Marx in that he had a more fundamental critique of the West than Marx's "progressivist" view of class society and working class revolution.

I can certainly understand his point in the context of Heidegger's writings on technology and mass society, but I think it relies on a kind of caricatured Marx that folks like David Harvey have done a great job at "debunking."

Evidently folks like Henri Lefebvre attempted to fuse the two although I'm not too familiar with these works.

Thoughts?
By Paradigm
Heidegger's critique of the West was a reactionary one in the German romantic tradition, which is rather consistent with his support for the Nazis. Of course, his ideas can be taken in a radical direction, as seen in the case of people like Sartre and Merleau-Ponty, but that does not make his ideas radical in themselves. As for fusing the two together, I hear that Marcuse was influenced by Heidegger.
By KurtFF8
Well Marcuse was Heidegger's student, and his writings on technology are indeed quite influenced by him.

And the point of his philosophy being inherently reactionary is one I agree with. Heidegger was often (usually by his apologists) accused of just "not understanding politics." I think this is quite a weak defense. I also think that his continued popularity is quite problematic for both philosophy and the "post-modern Left"
It's difficult to suggest that Heidegger was more radical than Marx on a social level. Heidegger's philosophy left little room for deconstructing mechanisms of power in society, which, in relation to capitalist society, was a primary agenda for Marx. Heidegger's philosophy led to psychological O resignation, something that in many ways came out in the "New Left". Furthermore, Marxist analysis--or at least work more influenced from Marx--depends more on a socio-historical analysis, whereas Heideggerian analysis turns to ontological issues and history is not as critically engaged.

I also think that his continued popularity is quite problematic for both philosophy and the "post-modern Left"

Why?

People tend to forget that the French now have a s[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]