Anarchist groups in Spain: How did they operate? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The 'no government' movement.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I remember reading that anarchist groups were very widespread and popular during the Spanish Civil War, and were the greatest threat to Francisco Franco's regime during his period of rule.

1. What form of anarchy did they follow? Anarcho-syndicalism, anarcho-communism, etc.

2. Did several Spanish communities with anarchist sympathies adopt the ideology as a model of government? If so, how did the people deal with allocation of resources, labor, and the mediation of disputes?

3. What was their relationship with other anti-Franco forces, such as the Communists and Basque Separatists?

4. What scholarly articles or texts would you recommend to me regarding this subject?

Any help that you can provide is appreciated!
I remember reading that anarchist groups were very widespread and popular during the Spanish Civil War, and were the greatest threat to Francisco Franco's regime during his period of rule.

The greatest treat to the fascists was Soviet aid. When the "democratic" nations stood by and watched the fascists advancing the Soviets sent weapons and men to aid to cause.
The anarchists in Spain largely revolved around the CNT, which was a Trade Union organisation rather than a political party. They were anarcho-syndicalists, in the main but there was also an anarchist following in Andalucia, amongst the peasantry, which had more in common with ideas of Bakunin and his Russian populism.

They never really had a hold in Franco's Spain, they were ruthlessly cut down by their own 'allies' the Spanish Communist Party in the Barcelona May Days during the civil war, the Communists believed they were enemies as they followed Stalin's brand of Communism. There were further purges when Franco won the war and they remained an underground movement with very little influence.
EastCoastAmerican wrote:1. What form of anarchy did they follow? Anarcho-syndicalism, anarcho-communism, etc.

There were a variety of different models, but mainly it was anarcho-syndicalism in the cities and anarcho-communism in the countryside.

2. Did several Spanish communities with anarchist sympathies adopt the ideology as a model of government? If so, how did the people deal with allocation of resources, labor, and the mediation of disputes?

I don't know all the details on this, but what I do know is that many areas adopted a system of labor notes, while others managed to do away with currency altogether. Farms were collectivized, and saw an increase in production.

3. What was their relationship with other anti-Franco forces, such as the Communists and Basque Separatists?

They fought alongside one another, though tensions became extremely bitter between the Communists and anarchists as Stalin tried to co-opt the leftist resistance, and often violently repressed anarchist groups.

4. What scholarly articles or texts would you recommend to me regarding this subject?

I'm told that Murray Bookchin has written an excellent anthology on the subject. George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia is also a classic.
EastCoastAmerican wrote:I remember reading that anarchist groups were very widespread and popular during the Spanish Civil War, and were the greatest threat to Francisco Franco's regime during his period of rule.

1. What form of anarchy did they follow? Anarcho-syndicalism, anarcho-communism, etc.

syndicalism and communism

yes, labor notes, and possibly communism in some areas

IDK on basque, but fought commies when franco was far away

anarcho statists of spain

Any help that you can provide is appreciated!
anarchist6 wrote: anarcho statists of spain

Are you serious about that? I don`t know why anyone would recommend anything from Bryan Caplan when it comes to understanding how the Spanish Anarchists organized themselves.

At least the essay references Bolloten`s "The Spanish Civil War", which is a good read.

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]