Anarchy? But what about the roads? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The 'no government' movement.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
A little gem for those of you that are like me and just roll your eyes every time you get this nonsense response.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/28 ... -potholes/

Basically private investigators followed government workers around and found that they were all working at most an hour a day while being paid for a full day's work. Instead of filling potholes the way they were supposed to, they were doing things like dumping the asphalt down sewers so they could go run errands or go to a bar.
What does anarchy have to do with this?

Sounds like some jobsworth punk abusing their employment. Doesn't surprise me that the contract is through the city and the job security is through a union.

And if I have to. Who says we need all the damn roads? The current culture allowed the exponential increase of consumption/competition by being tied to a mindset of end-less capitalism.
RhetoricThug wrote:What does anarchy have to do with this?

Sounds like some jobsworth punk abusing their employment. Doesn't surprise me that the contract is through the city and the job security is through a union.

And if I have to. Who says we need all the damn roads? The current culture allowed the exponential increase of consumption/competition by being tied to a mindset of end-less capitalism.

"Who will build the roads" is a question anarchists constantly have to answer. It's a kind of catch-all for "Who will provide (insert government service here)."
Defiantly (not definitely) not today's public sector employees

If they did not have a dependable income at the end of the day, or job security- I'm fairly sure they would do the work to earn their keep

If we really needed everyone to own a car, drive for pure leisure , or have the idea even accepted that irresponsible rash economical sensibility is a thing to support... ugh. I suppose- Those who wanted the roads would build the roads, so they could use the roads.

On the other hand, that would have to involve privatization of the roads being built, and tolls demanded.

My suggestion, if a community wants a road they would all help maintain it. This would be commune style highway/road systems. Part of getting a driver's license would require you to perform some sort of civil duty. Once a year you go fill in the damn pot holes if you want to keep driving
Kinda like jury duty if you want to vote.

And now that I think about it, those who couldn't perform a once a year duty wouldn't be driving. Think of all the too old to drive seniors. We'd be keeping our roads safe

One more food for thought... Have you ever wondered why we designed pavement for tires, instead of tires for the road. Dirt roads still exist you know. I guess we feel all clean and fancy, and we get better gas mileage and easy traction... But we could of designed our vehicles to drive on dirt.
Last edited by RhetoricThug on 30 Jan 2013 05:12, edited 1 time in total.
There was a story a few years ago about a community in Hawaii that got tired of waiting for years for the local government to repair a road they needed for surfing. The county said it would cost millions of dollars and they just didn't have the money. So those people got together and hired contractors themselves to fix it. It cost them something like 10-15 thousand total.

It just shows how people are unable to consider non government solutions. Let's face it, it's not that hard to lay asphalt on the ground. Unless your name is Uncle Sam.
It just shows how people are unable to consider non government solutions. Let's face it, it's not that hard to lay asphalt on the ground. Unless your name is Uncle Sam.
And that my friend is a byproduct of social dependency. A pure lack of self sufficiency. The mental self-esteem in America is so compartmentalized it truly makes for a deceleration of dependence.

Of course, it wasn't always that way. The country was built after-all, now it is eroding away.
I say eroding because it is a natural occurrence, stay idle as another earthly empire shape shifts through time and space until it is unrecognizable compared to the original state/conception.
RhetoricThug wrote:And that my friend is a byproduct of social dependency. A pure lack of self sufficiency. The mental self-esteem in America is so compartmentalized it truly makes for a deceleration of dependence.

Of course, it wasn't always that way. The country was built after-all, now it is eroding away.
I say eroding because it is a natural occurrence, stay idle as another earthly empire shape shifts through time and space until it is unrecognizable compared to the original state/conception.

I would say that society is constantly shifting and changing, and the best way to ensure it will be a detrimental change is to base that society in an incorrect moral foundation, such as statism. It gives the illusion of an answer to social concerns, and that is very dangerous.
Soixante-Retard wrote:But, who will pick the cotton once the slaves are emancipated?

What is the cotton for, and who are the slaves?

Hemp based products, ditch weed for free

Soixante-Retard wrote:But, who will pick the cotton once the slaves are emancipated?

Who will build the roads without slaves to build them for us?
Allow me to reiterate

My suggestion, if a community wants a road they would all help maintain it. This would be commune style highway/road systems. Part of getting a driver's license would require you to perform some sort of civil duty. Once a year you go fill in the damn pot holes if you want to keep driving

Pool the human capital, barter.
This would grant alternative and in my opinion- absolute advantage.

The thing is, cross community travel seems like a bigger problem. How would a driver's license be valid in a community you did not help build a road in?
Well, I guess if you have a driver's license- This means you did your part in your community in building the roads. Just hope the place you're heading has a similar structure.
So I suppose population and distribution of road networks would have to be correlated & well-planned. (duh)

You may find a community with no roads at all. Like I said earlier. Why would you really need roads if you can sustain and be self-sufficient as is where you are located

The focus on roads can be termed by the entitlement we in modern capitalistic economies expect and depend on.
RhetoricThug wrote:Allow me to reiterate

Pool the human capital, barter.
This would grant alternative and in my opinion- absolute advantage.

The thing is, cross community travel seems like a bigger problem. How would a driver's license be valid in a community you did not help build a road in?
Well, I guess if you have a driver's license- This means you did your part in your community in building the roads. Just hope the place you're heading has a similar structure.
So I suppose population and distribution of road networks would have to be correlated & well-planned. (duh)

You may find a community with no roads at all. Like I said earlier. Why would you really need roads if you can sustain and be self-sufficient as is where you are located

The focus on roads can be termed by the entitlement we in modern capitalistic economies expect and depend on.

If people want roads, they'll build them. It doesn't really matter what system you prefer to build them; it would likely be situational depending on a number of factors including the local preferences.

And who knows, maybe instead of building more roads, we'd look for more efficient alternatives. Like the flying cars that ford was about to start producing in the 40's until regulators stomped them out.

There's no way to know what kind of social progress has been redirected to building more roads; roads the state may or may not maintain at its whim.
Rothbardian wrote:There was a story a few years ago about a community in Hawaii that got tired of waiting for years for the local government to repair a road they needed for surfing. The county said it would cost millions of dollars and they just didn't have the money. So those people got together and hired contractors themselves to fix it. It cost them something like 10-15 thousand total.

Sure must have been a short-ass road... And a single contractor pourin' the asphalt!
KlassWar wrote:
Sure must have been a short-ass road... And a single contractor pourin' the asphalt!

Probably. I think they pitched in to help with the labor as well though I don't remember exactly.

Do you have a point?
That ain't no way you gonna get an actual road that'd cost real money for local government to fix paved for fifteen grand. You've gotta buy lots of asphalt, hire road workers and pay wages and taxes, etc. Roads are expensive to pave.
KlassWar wrote:That ain't no way you gonna get an actual road that'd cost real money for local government to fix paved for fifteen grand. You've gotta buy lots of asphalt, hire road workers and pay wages and taxes, etc. Roads are expensive to pave.

Is this supposed to be a joke?
Locke II wrote:Maybe this is why the earth is so polluted...

Well the world's #1 polluter is the federal government of the united states.

In my short tenure on this forum, I've already had statists defending child killing (twice) and rape in defense of statism. Pollution and roads...these are softball issues presented out of pity for the statist's untenable position.
Rothbardian wrote:
Well the world's #1 polluter is the federal government of the united states.

In my short tenure on this forum, I've already had statists defending child killing (twice) and rape in defense of statism. Pollution and roads...these are softball issues presented out of pity for the statist's untenable position.

I would like to see some sources for the supposed love of murder and rape by statists.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@Rancid anyone who applauds and approves genocida[…]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be als[…]

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Havin[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ4bO6xWJ4k Ther[…]