The similarities between statism and religion - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The 'no government' movement.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Wolke wrote:False religion. True religion is anti-statist and anti-hierarchy. If organised churches have tried to justify exploitation, violence, and slavery, this is in opposition to Christian principles.

This post is a good example of the no true scottsman fallacy.
Rothbardian wrote:This post is a good example of the no true scottsman fallacy.

This post is a good example of the common misapplication of "no true Scotsman fallacy".

1. No true Scotsman drinks his tea with cream
2. MacDougal drinks his tea with cream

… MacDougal is no true Scotsman
http://www.tektonics.org/guest/scotty.htm

This is a fallacy is because there is no relationship between 'drinking tea with cream' and being a Scotsman. However, there is a logical relationship between belief and religion. If one holds beliefs that are contrary to the teaching's of one's professed religion, then one is not a true follower of that faith. Just as if someone calls himself a Darwinist, but denies the theory of evolution, one is not a true Darwinist.
The only requirement for being a christian is believing that jesus was the messiah. Furthermore you made a comment about true religion, not true christianity, though that's obviously what you meant. All that's required for religion is belief in the metaphysical.
The only requirement for being a christian is believing that jesus was the messiah.

That's not quite true. Mormons, for instance, are not Christians. They accept Jesus as the messiah, but they deny monotheism, regarding the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as separate beings. Christians cannot be polytheists. Also, I was talking about true Christianity, the religion itself, not "true Christians". True Christianity is based on the revelation of Jesus Christ. Any attempt to justify war, slavery, statism, etc., is in opposition to Christianity. In fact, of all political doctrines, anarchism is closest to biblical thinking. People who try to justify violence may be Christian, but they are acting contrary to the teachings of their own religion.

though that's obviously what you meant

All religions are true.

All that's required for religion is belief in the metaphysical.

Materialists believe in the metaphysical as well. Matter is a metaphysical construction. I don't think you would regard materialism as a religion. Also, there are religions that make no metaphysical postulations.

@FiveofSwords A dollar bill is a physical thin[…]

God dammit, Rich. This is like whenever anyone b[…]

The cost-of-living crisis is so bleak that some G[…]

wat0n , I think I found a quote that might help b[…]