Can Free Market exist without Private Property in Anti-Authoritative Society? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The 'no government' movement.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Monti wrote:Can Free Market exist without Private Property in Anti-Authoritative Society?

The answer is YES.
Market does not need private property. These are two separate things. True, we were always told that they constitute a fundamental unit.
Liberals tell this because capitalists's property is their treasure; they do not want that we understand that market can do without it. Marxists are on the same wavelength. They believe strongly in planning and do not like that we understand that collective ownership can do without it.
It is possible to imagine an economic system composed of public enterprises, of which the management is independent and not obliged to apply a plan. It is a real market; so the management decides freely the prices, quantities, investments, wages... Naturally, it seems normal that a strong regulation supervises the enterprises. I do not know if it is compatible with what you name "anti-authoritative".
In the article in link (in the second half), I give a description of a such a system I designed and of two other systems devised by Bardhan and Roemer.
https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/64255/

This seems to me to be characteristic of mutualism , such as notably advocated in the United States by Kevin Carson. I myself don't really have any issue with it, or any other system of left-libertarian socio-economic thought. And at least, in my opinion, unlike so called anarcho-capitalism, it actually is a valid variety of market anarchism. However, a libertarian Marxist would still want to move beyond this free-market economy to a gift economy , in accordance with anarcho-communism.
Deutschmania wrote:
This seems to me to be characteristic of mutualism , such as notably advocated in the United States by Kevin Carson. I myself don't really have any issue with it, or any other system of left-libertarian socio-economic thought. And at least, in my opinion, unlike so called anarcho-capitalism, it actually is a valid variety of market anarchism. However, a libertarian Marxist would still want to move beyond this free-market economy to a gift economy , in accordance with anarcho-communism.

I have a *critique* of the communist-type gift economy -- *from the left* (relatively) -- since it would probably wind up looking like *this* by default (*not* recommending it):

Rotation system of work roles

Spoiler: show

---

Rather:

...Some of the readily apparent *checks-and-balances* dynamics enabled with the labor-credits system are:

- (Already mentioned) One could work for personal material-economic gains -- the amassing of labor credits -- instead of having to 'like' *both* the socio-political aspect *and* the personal-material-economic aspect of one's work within a strictly-voluntaristic, non-labor-credit, communistic-type political economy. (Individual vs. socio-political realms)

labor credits framework for 'communist supply & demand'

https://web.archive.org/web/20201211050 ... ?p=2889338

---

Originally Posted by Child of the Gallery

The question I want to ask, which is probably answered in your pages of text (I'm not going to read what is essentially a pamphlet on my computer screen), is how does a labour voucher not reproduce the same relationship and function of money?

Thanks for the question.

First off, I'll note that, to be precise, my 'labor credits' is *not* the same as conventional Marxist 'labor vouchers'. Labor vouchers are meant to be a wages-like *placeholder* -- as I understand it -- for formally recognizing liberated-work voluntarily done for the collective / commons, and to *reward* that effort with a monetary-type reciprocity, though one that's controlled *intentionally* by an administrative portion of the revolutionary, upsurging workers.

I find this conventional rewards-for-labor approach to be misguided, since it's not in the direction of the ultimate goal, that being to *eliminate* money (and all private-property relations) -- and I would argue *as soon as possible* so that society-in-revolt is on the right path towards moneylessness.

On the other hand, my 'labor credits' formulation is meant to "valuate" one thing only, that of liberated-labor-effort-hours, and to keep this "valuation" / quantification strictly *internal* to the subset of people who are *active* liberated-workers -- labor credits are voluntarily forwarded to those who step-up to do socially-necessary labor, going-forward, for the public good.

Labor credits are *not* money / currency, because no items are ever *commodified*. Labor credits are not exchangeable for any goods / resources / materials, because that would be equivalent to the *commodification* of those items. Communism is supposed to be about fulfilling unmet human needs (and wants), so what counts from the consumer is *how badly* they want something to be produced, by active liberated laborers, if not already immediately available. Under capitalism this takes the form of *increasing* exchange-values -- a material incentive -- by funneling demand-by-money, as into auctions and bidding wars, which has *nothing* to do with the serving of outstanding human needs.

Labor credits, differently from currency and commodification, measure *how badly* consumers need / want something (some form of socially necessary production), by *standardizing* everyone's demands to a person-by-person 'daily demands list' according to relative *priority*, through intentional rankings (#1, #2, #3, etc.). This means that exchange values / money is no longer necessary for the function of measuring relative demand.

Here's from the model:

consumption [demand] -- Every person in a locality has a standard, one-through-infinity ranking system of political demands available to them, updated daily

consumption [demand] -- Basic human needs will be assigned a higher political priority by individuals and will emerge as mass demands at the cumulative scale -- desires will benefit from political organizing efforts and coordination

https://tinyurl.com/labor-credits-faq

With *all* social demand quantified on such a *gradient*, it becomes clear to liberated-workers what is being *most* demanded on-the-whole (top-ten, etc.), giving the necessary information to them to respond appropriately in where they should put their labor-efforts. (All individual-demands-list formal-items, like 'proposals' and 'policy packages', are aggregated by rank position (#1, #2, #3, etc.) and *tallied*, to show a finely-resolved differentiation of quantified support for each given topic, proposal, or policy. (And only formalized, finalized 'policy packages' are candidates for implementation by available-and-willing liberated labor.)

The labor credits help-out in this regard by showing discrete, relative levels of support from the liberated laborers *themselves*, since labor credits in-hand indicate a person's past work done, giving them the fractional authority to select *specific* available-and-willing liberated-workers for new labor efforts, for policy-package-designated work roles, and for the detailed scheduling of those work roles, going-forward. Yet the labor credits are *still* not money, because the market of exchange values is no longer required for the material-economic function of discerning (organic) demand, whether large or small.

The Following User Says Thank You to ckaihatsu For This Useful Post:
Euphoria
As I posted in response to you, in another thread just now, all that you are posting is self aggrandizing propaganda, that is divorced from lived reality. I have only one thing to add to my personal critique of your ideology, and conduct, which is to say that if you have come to reject the second higher phase of communism , then you have deviated from the folds of Marxism altogether. At the very least you are now merely a syndicalist, at the very worst, I am afraid that you are going down a similar trajectory to that of Mussolini. https://www.marxists.org/subject/economy/authors/pe/pe-ch40.htm , https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1917/staterev/ch05.htm
Deutschmania wrote:
As I posted in response to you, in another thread just now, all that you are posting is self aggrandizing propaganda, that is divorced from lived reality. I have only one thing to add to my personal critique of your ideology, and conduct, which is to say that if you have come to reject the second higher phase of communism , then you have deviated from the folds of Marxism altogether. At the very least you are now merely a syndicalist, at the very worst, I am afraid that you are going down a similar trajectory to that of Mussolini. https://www.marxists.org/subject/economy/authors/pe/pe-ch40.htm , https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1917/staterev/ch05.htm https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJiWp0EzCU

Bullshit -- that's just facile name-calling from a distance, so don't even bother.

Btw, additionally, I have a standing critique of the labor-chit-type 'labor club membership' approach, for *material-matchup* reasons. Here's from a past thread:

Wellsy wrote:
His [Robinson Crusoe's] stock-book contains a catalogue of the various objects he possesses, of the various operations necessary for their production, and finally, of the labour-time that specific quantities of these products have on average cost him.

We shall assume, but only for the sake of a parallel with the production of commodities, that the share of each individual producer in the means of subsistence is determined by his labour-time.

ckaihatsu wrote:
Okay, but there's no guarantee of quantities adding-up, inventory-wise, on the whole -- just *saying* 'rewards-for-labor-[time]' doesn't necessarily mean that quantities produced will properly correspond to materials consumed, because quantities-produced is apples-and-oranges in comparison to quantities-consumed, since workers individually produce at different rates, over different items, than they consume-at.

viewtopic.php?p=15172107#p15172107

ckaihatsu wrote:
And:

Again, though, I'm not taking issue with people's own varying *work* abilities, and the varying individualized *compensation*, per individual, indexed to the overall average rate of socially-necessary productivity, per work role, per hour -- what I'm finding lacking, technically-speaking, is what the most fundamental, key-indexing factor / variable is to be. With all labor notes / labor vouchers / labor chit proposals, it's work-role time (hours), indexed to *other* work-role time (hours), and I'm saying that, technically, that's *problematic*, because people are still being incentivized *individually*, with labor notes, while there's an overarching socio-political political interest in collective *egalitarianism*, for all rates of productivity, to the common good, to be equivalent (per work role, per hour of work).

In other words the *politics* of collectivism is lacking and taking a hit if the post-capitalist political economy isn't taking per-hour varying *productivity* into account, which these conventional labor-notes-type proposals / frameworks *don't*.

To be stark, if I work at the factory for 8 hours doing socially necessary work that produces 1,000,000 widgets, while the next person does 8 hours of the same but only produces 800,000 widgets, and we both get the same compensation, of an 8-hours-note, this is *not* equal productivity to *the collective*.

There would be a macro-level (socio-political) *societal* interest in all 8-hour-notes being issued to workers for work done with the same *productivity* resulting. Why should one person be off by 200,000 units compared to someone else, for the same compensation *from* the social commons?

viewtopic.php?p=15171952#p15171952

---

Here's another treatment of the same 'totality' dynamic, incidentally:

Pies Must Line Up

Philosopher101 wrote:What are the compulsory requirements of Free Market Economy?

No use of force except to secure property and contract rights. Note that capitalism is by definition incompatible with a free market because it requires private ownership of the means of production (natural resources and producer goods) and private ownership of natural resources forcibly removes everyone else's liberty rights to use the resources, and forces them to subsidize the owners by paying just for permission to use them.
Deutschmania wrote:As I posted in response to you, in another thread just now, all that you are posting is self aggrandizing propaganda, that is divorced from lived reality.

Like Marxism, you mean?
I have only one thing to add to my personal critique of your ideology, and conduct, which is to say that if you have come to reject the second higher phase of communism ,

Talk about divorced from lived reality!
then you have deviated from the folds of Marxism altogether.

If only!
At the very least you are now merely a syndicalist, at the very worst, I am afraid that you are going down a similar trajectory to that of Mussolini. https://www.marxists.org/subject/economy/authors/pe/pe-ch40.htm , https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1917/staterev/ch05.htm

Once a power-luster, always a power-luster...
Wellsy wrote:In fact, to make any opposition to private property tends to piss off those who consider a unregulated market an inherent and even foundational good from which all other things derive.
http://d-scholarship.pitt.edu/10867/1/VWills_ETD_2011.pdf

A free market is only possible if property rights do not abrogate liberty rights -- i.e., if they do not deprive anyone of anything they would otherwise have. So property in the fruits of one's labor does not violate others' rights, but property in human beings or in natural resources like land does.
Also the idea of how a free market economy would exist without some kind of hierarchy or authority seems peculiar as there will clearly be those who will amass wealth.

The type of market governs how participants amass wealth. In a capitalist market, privileges like land titles legally entitle their owners to steal from everyone else, so that is a good way to amass wealth. A free market does not admit of such privileges, and the only way to amass wealth is to convince other people that you are giving them more value in return. Some people are just good at salesmanship, and are reliably able to get the better of others in consensual trade (J.P. Morgan was said to be without peer in his ability to wring concessions from other businessmen).
Here is a funny comic for a view of utlitarianism which is ideologically derived from the basis of capitalist production in which value is boiled down to a single quantitative figure ie price.
http://existentialcomics.com/comic/259

As soon as your comic mentioned landowners, it ceased to be relevant to freedom or free markets.
In this example, the corporation outlives any single individual but amasses greater and greater wealth and assets.

In a free market, that can only be done by contributing value in return (or at least persuading others that you are doing so). Landowning and other privileges, by contrast, legally entitle their owners to just take from everyone else, and contribute nothing in return.
Which it then uses to supports itself through lobbying and other means to not only sustain itself but to destroy competition. The supposed balanced competition between capitalists whilst a real fact, isn't a static truth of a free market as the end result of super powerful corporations is a end consequence of such a system.

There are no historical examples of producers, whether individuals or firms, eliminating competition in the long run in the absence of privileges like patents, land titles, bank licenses, etc.
And really the functioning of a free market is simply the point about emphasizing the anarchistic production of capitalism where capitalist prouce things independently of one another and not in any coordination other than through the disciplining of price and profit.

Free markets are impossible under capitalism, as already explained.
Those who push this as a good do so in opposing restrictions for those who have more economic power to outcompete others ie the free trade vs protectionism debate, where for example where globalization was forced upon the power nations with weaker economies who went into debt and asked the world bank to give them a loan which was on the conditions of opening up their economies to larger national economies/corporations which then dominated those markets for their great profitability due to intense exploitation of cheap labor and little competition.

Again, that's nothing to do with free markets. Private US banks were privileged to issue the world's reserve currency. What could go wrong?
And the absolute lovers of the free market tend to be Austrian libertarian types who consider freedom to be equivalent to voluntary trade but like the bourgeoisie from the french revolution onwards, generalize the freedom and voluntariness of trade and contracts in an idealization that ignores the structure necessity of exploiting workers.
https://kapitalism101.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/marginal-futility-reflections-on-simon-clarkes-marx-marginalism-and-modern-sociology/

Of course Marx had nothing intelligent or rational to say on the subject, as he was unable to tell the difference between land and factories.
The best Austrian theorists can do is basically assert a faith in the rationality of the pricing mechanism of the free market being rational, they cannot demonstrate its rationality because the classical economics base their theorization on a generilzation of bartering between two individuals and don't actually explain the specificity of capitalist markets.
The best they can do to justify this point is not by the strength of their own arguments but by scaremongering about the problems of the state planned economies of the USSR.

Like Marx, they deny there is any essential difference between owning the fruits of one's labor and owning others' rights to liberty.
So no, free markets cannot exist without structural relations of private property that necessary deprive the mass of workers so that they only thing they fundamentally have to bring 'freely' to markets is their labour-power.

No, that's just self-contradictory nonsense. As soon as you forcibly remove people's rights to liberty and convert them into landowners' private property, you are self-evidently not talking about a free market. A market in which some people own and buy and sell others' rights to liberty is not a free market. It is a slave market.
But of course, the terms of negotiating their commodity is that they need it to reproduce themselves and survive at the bare minimum whilst the capitalist does not. A worker might have means of leveraging for a higher wage, but this doesn't negate the fundamental relation that necessitates a mass of people who have no means to subsist except through working for money.

Because their natural individual liberty right to use what nature provided to sustain themselves, as their ancestors did for millions of years, was forcibly removed and made over to landowners as their private property.
You can also go then into Marx's work further to explain how there is no way in capitalist that this can be escaped due to the nature of value and the need for the expansion of production in an attempt to outcompete other capitalists for profit/value. To do so they must explot the worker more by making them work for longer than the cost of their subsistence.

That is just absurd Marxist nonsense contrary to objective fact. It is not the employer who offers the worker access to economic opportunity he would not otherwise have who is exploiting the worker. It is the landowner, who forcibly deprives the worker of access to economic opportunity he would otherwise have. How do you contrive to prevent yourself from knowing such self-evident and indisputable facts of objective physical reality?
ckaihatsu wrote:
the *politics* of collectivism is lacking and taking a hit if the post-capitalist political economy isn't taking per-hour varying *productivity* into account, which these conventional labor-notes-type proposals / frameworks *don't*.

---

For context:

Multi-Tiered System of Productive and Consumptive Zones for a Post-Capitalist Political Economy

Truth To Power wrote:
A free market does not admit of such [land] privileges, and the only way to amass wealth is to convince other people that you are giving them more value in return.

'Equity purity'.

---

ckaihatsu wrote:
Currently, look at everything that sloshes around inside of a dollar:

• 'dead labor'

• F.I.R.E. costs / value (non-productive -- all three are 'risk mitigation' of some form or another)

• 'natural monopolies' valuations (necessarily set by policy)

• debt / finance values (not real money)

viewtopic.php?p=15253905#p15253905
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Not in this case. Israel treats the entire Palest[…]

I spent literal months researching on the many ac[…]

meh, we're always in crsis. If you look at the […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

...Other than graduating from high school and bei[…]