Why Are Australians So Foul-Mouthed? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
I have spent time in eight different English-speaking countries, and in none of the other seven have I heard such profanity from such a large part of the population. In Australia it is not uncommon to hear women and children using the worst language in public places, on buses, in supermarkets and banks. Liveried receptionists at decent accommodation are likely to greet you with “Shit eh!" This week I heard a grandmother address a three year-old girl as “Bugger-lugs.” I was told I was mistaken, and the meaning was really quite sweet.
'Buggerlugs' is, curiously, a Northern English term of affection usually directed at a youngster by a parent or familial adult.
Cartertonian wrote:'Buggerlugs' is, curiously, a Northern English term of affection usually directed at a youngster by a parent or familial adult.

This.

Bugger-lugs has nothing to do with buggery. It means 'big ears', having ears like Bugs Bunny. At least, that's how I've always understood it. I don't know anyone who'd think it was foul-mouthed to use the expression.

If you think Australians are foul-mouthed, try walking around an East London market. Cockneys use the f-word so often that many don't even realise they're using it. It's as commonplace as "um..." and "y'know".
I always thought it was 'bug-a-lugs'...

anyway, I tend to agree that Australians are probably more foul-mouthed than most other English speaking countries.

If you think Australians are foul-mouthed, try walking around an East London market. Cockneys use the f-word so often that many don't even realise they're using it. It's as commonplace as "um..." and "y'know".

I think a certain class of Australians would give them a run for their money
GandalfTheGrey wrote:I always thought it was 'bug-a-lugs'...

I think you're right about that.

Now we've only really mentioned people speaking English. I'm not easily shocked, but I was at a big footie match in Istanbul between Fenerbahçe and Beşiktaş. I love the wit of a football crowd so I got my Turkish mate to give me a running commentary, my own Turkish being limited to basic, polite interaction. I have never heard anything quite so filthy, not even at a Manchester derby. Boy, those Turks can curse!
I assume this is the result of a society built on the seed of whores and pickpockets.

Probably.

But with so much over-use of such terms, they have become benign in the Australian context. In the Sydney-Newcastle metropolitan region racially charged terms (what would be considered such abroad) are used on a daily basis in public settings by all manner of folk. We have cheeses and other foodstuffs that could not be sold in the US or Europe due to what is written on the packaging.

In fact I got a yellow card a few years back for posting a picture on here of a popular cheese my mom buys from the supermarket.

Another example, one of our most popular national films is called 'Wog Boy' and serves to stereotype people from Southern Europe as welfare suckling greasers, but it's all funny and comedic so no harm done.
Another example, one of our most popular national films is called 'Wog Boy' and serves to stereotype people from Southern Europe as welfare suckling greasers, but it's all funny and comedic so no harm done.

Mocking and stereotyping Europeans has always been within the bounds of PC acceptability Igor. Greek and Italian immigration predates the end of the white Australia policy, so the banter is pretty much 'in house'. About as offensive as making Irish jokes.

Somehow I doubt anyone would get away with making a film called "gook boy" or "curry-muncher boy" though...

I will gladly double down on th[a]t. So after sa[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]