Does the mistreatment of Aborigines warrant compensation? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Decky wrote:Well then saddly as an occupied people that gives them the moral right to resort to rather more drastic messures.

Try motivating them.

anarchist23 wrote:Rejn.Your quote..."Aborigines live in the suburbs too,although not in mine." Why don't aborigines live your suburb?

Most of the housing commission is situated closer to the city. I can't afford to live there.
Thank you for the support Anarchist 23.

Its nice to see there are others who can see injustice for what it is. I grew up in a small country town where the aboriginal residents lived in the same town as everyone else, went to the same schools, I had aboriginal friends and no they did not skip school and some went onto university.

There were never any race riots, petrol sniffing, government interventions, offensive drunken behaviour, youth roaming the night looking for any mischief or anything the media like to sensationalise. All in all you could argue it was a pretty ordinary place, possibly dull if peace and harmony is not your thing.

Last year there was a funeral for an aboriginal man and no he did not die from diabetes, suicide, violence or alcoholism and no he was not young. At 83 he had managed to raise a family, participate in many sporting and community events, work and pay his taxes. One thing I should ad is that his funeral was one of the largest the town has ever seen. As a well respected elder he was as admired equally by aboriginal and non aboriginal residents.

I feel sorry for non aboriginal Australians who have never met Aboriginal Australians, if you did you would find a group of fellow Australians who are only happy to give you the time of day unlike many other Australians.
Good to see some Kurri politicians have learnt to throw their weight around.

"I've never seen anything like it. Like I said, I've been with Heckle and I've been with Jeckle. And I think we've always been sort of safe with Labor," she said.

"They've got that social conscience and they want to do things for Aboriginal people. But if ever I've met a racist group of people, I've met them in the Country Liberals Party."

Well, the lack of social conscience really is the heart of the problem with greazy pole climbing yuppies, now isn't?
Rejn wrote:I'm sorry*, but the aborigines are a defeated people. They don't get to charge rent.

*Not really

Interesting attitude. I wonder if you would feel the same if you were on the other side? Let us imagine your ancestral homeland (Britain, Ireland) or wherever else you come from in Europe was occupied and your people were turned into an ethnic minority in their own homeland.

Would you just accept that you have no right to anything because you are part of the "defeated" people?
Interesting attitude. I wonder if you would feel the same if you were on the other side? Let us imagine your ancestral homeland (Britain, Ireland) or wherever else you come from in Europe was occupied and your people were turned into an ethnic minority in their own homeland.

PI you are missing his point.

In that situation what he wanted would mean nothing and have no bearing on the political process in the country since he would be part of a defeated people.

Would you just accept that you have no right to anything because you are part of the "defeated" people?

Again you are missing his point, if he accepted it or not it would be a material fact.
Decky has it right. It wouldn't matter what I thought if I were an aborigine, but I'll say what I think anyway.

Political Interest wrote:Interesting attitude. I wonder if you would feel the same if you were on the other side? Let us imagine your ancestral homeland (Britain, Ireland) or wherever else you come from in Europe was occupied and your people were turned into an ethnic minority in their own homeland.

A long term plan must then be started from outside Europe in order to retake the homeland. The aborigines would never do something like this though.

Actually, I already see my ancestral homeland as occupied, and I myself am part of an extremely small minority. My kind probably only number in the hundreds in this city of four million, but we can easily assimilate into the Anglo-Australian culture and if I had children, they would probably identify and be identified with it.
Political Interest wrote:

You mean like the Britons and the Anglo Saxons?

@Rancid When the Republicans say the justice […]

:lol: ‘Caracalla’ and ‘Punic’, @FiveofSwords .[…]

Current Jewish population estimates in Mexico com[…]

Ukraine stands with Syrian rebels against Moscow- […]