Racist Melbourne Bus Attack - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
I fail to see that the motive of this 'assault' was racism. The passengers were angry because the woman at the back would not turn her music off. The fact they may have used some 'racist' language does not make them anymore racist than it makes me a woman when I do the ironing.
Thompson_NCL wrote:I fail to see that the motive of this 'assault' was racism. The passengers were angry because the woman at the back would not turn her music off. The fact they may have used some 'racist' language does not make them anymore racist than it makes me a woman when I do the ironing.

"Ding" - Racist Term referring to immigrants.
"Black People" - Racist Term when used in the context alleged in the original video.
"Aussie Aussie Aussie" - Racial pride statement in the context in which it was used. At other times it is a common patriotic chant... But not in response to a display of overseas culture as occurred here.
"Speak English or Die Motherfucker" - Statement implying non-English speakers will be put to death. Implies inferiority for non-English speakers. A grossly Racist statement.
At some point people must answer for their deeds and "Well I don't truly believe what I said or did" is no longer a valid defense.
No one pointed a gun at these people and forced them to scream anti-French and anti-Black epithets.
They branded themselves as racists and bigots.
Gletkin wrote:At some point people must answer for their deeds and "Well I don't truly believe what I said or did" is no longer a valid defense.
No one pointed a gun at these people and forced them to scream anti-French and anti-Black epithets.
They branded themselves as racists and bigots.

Nonsense, they did not brand themselves racist, you did.

The facts are that racism is a belief system and it's entirely possible to say something that does not reflect your beliefs, especially in a heated moment. If someone provoked me into a verbal tirade, you can damned right be sure I'm going to target whatever aspect of that person I think they feel most vulnerable about. Anything that separates that person from the 'pack' is open to attack.

So there is nothing cogent in your argument that someone who says racist things must be racist. It's certainly possible they are, but you cannot assume that based on this video.
They are displaying Racist attitudes and are therefore "being racist". Weather or not it was only "in the moment" or a systematic long term problem for Melbourne society is what is being debated.

You seem to think being "racist" only applies to people who believe they are racist and are proud of it, but that's not what the word actually means. A person being racist is simply a "racially prejudiced person". Weather or not it was "only in the moment" is irrelevant to debate.
Racism, "ethnicism", sectarianism, sexism, homophobia, etc.....they're all various forms of bigotry and there's various degrees of them all.
It doesn't have to be a rigid ideology (even amongst those who do, there are many differences). Most of the time it's just personal feelings of dislike or preferences and doesn't always have to be acted upon.

But actions DO speak louder than words.
One can claim that the Bolsheivks were not actually communist...that they were just "frustrated" and easily manipulated by demogogues.
One can also claim that Islamists screaming sectarian abuse aren't really Islamists...that they're also just "frustrated" and easily manipulated by demagogues.

Doesn't matter. The Bolshies carried out Lenin's revolution even if individually many did not really believe in "the cause". Islamist bullies screaming abuse at "infidels" fostered an atmosphere of intolerance for anything non-Muslim (as well as anti-Muslim backlashes) even if privately they didn't even believe in Allah and Mohammed. Trying to argue the genuine beliefs of individual perpetrators is not only physically impossible but completely pedantic and irrelevant.
These racist incidents occur in all cities in the developed world and constantly appear on Youtube. No matter how educated your society, you'll never completely rid it of ignorance. There will always be racism, homophobia and sexism, no matter how hard you try to eliminate them.
What would you propose be done?

I think racism is condoned very effectively in school and it is illegal under national law. I'm not to sure what other avenues can be taken.
Bounce wrote:What would you propose be done?

I think racism is condoned very effectively in school and it is illegal under national law. I'm not to sure what other avenues can be taken.

We still live in a very conservative society, and the institutions you refer to are deeply unpopular. The reality is, the so called "silent majority" (that actually isn't that silent at all) championed by Hanson and Allan Jones and the like is alive and well - and I would argue still dominate the discourse on social policy. The result is, while the institutions of anti-racism exist, they are inherently weak, and almost universally despised. And somewhat ironically, a form of veiled racism is actually justified on the grounds that it is in fact a necessary counter to the perceived "gagging" of the notorious chardonnay sipping PC brigade. This cultural backlash is most pronounced in tabloid media - especially tabloid newspaper columnists, and radio announcers.

I suspect this "silent majority" will remain dominant at least until the last of the White Australia generation (as in those who were still alive during the WAP) has passed.
These views are recreated through parents though. I don't think it will disappear when this generation go (maybe in spite of, but not because of).

That said, I don't think xenophobia comes from the parents, but from a dislike of being 'separate' from others.
Wow....Anglo vs. French bigotry? In 2012!!??
These two make most of today's Nazis globalist hippies by comparison!

:lol:

If racist statements by English speakers towards the French shock you I would recommend that you never come to Britain. Is it really that odd in Australia?

@FiveofSwords In previous posts, you have said[…]

America gives disproportionate power to 20% of th[…]

World War II Day by Day

Yes, we can thank this period in Britain--and Orw[…]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]