The Australian Constitution is Inherently Racist ?? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Section 25 of the Constitution of Australia is a provision of the Constitution of Australia headed `provision as to races disqualified from voting` and providing that `For the purposes of the last section, if by law of any State all persons of any race are disqualified from voting at elections for the more numerous House of the Parliament of State or of the Commonwealth, persons of the race resident in that State shall not be counted.

Section 51(xxx) of the Australian Constitution,commonly called "the race power",is the subsection of Section 51of the Australian Constitution granting the Australian commonwealth power to make laws for people of any race.
As initially drafted,s51(xxvi)empowered the Parliament to make laws with respect to:"The people of any race,for whom it is necessary to make special laws".
Australians.You all seem to be very quiet down under.Sometimes the truth is a bitter pill to swallow.This silence means you must agree with the op.If I still lived in Australia I would be lobbying parliament to get these racist acts repealed.
It was formulated by a racist country. It isn't in use at the moment. It should be deleted.

This is a pretty dire attempt to shame Australians when only Swagman would support the idea.
Bounce.Sorry to name and shame but you have to recognize the problem before you can rectify it.Racism should not be enshrined in law as it could be used in the future.There is racism in Australia as there is in all countries,GB is very racist and the minorities should be protected in law.Australians pride themselves in regards to supporting the underdog which is admirable.Possibly you should lobby your parliament to repeal these acts.If you give me an email address I will lobby.Anyway good luck in life.
Bounce wrote:It was formulated by a racist country. It isn't in use at the moment. It should be deleted.

This is a pretty dire attempt to shame Australians when only Swagman would support the idea.

You guys have a racist phobia. Have you scrolled thru every line of every country's constitution searching for 'racist' sections?

anarchist23 wrote:Foxdemon.But Ozzie beer is piss weak.

Really, just how would you know if you haven't had one for 40 years?
Bounce wrote:It was formulated by a racist country.......only Swagman would support the idea.

anarchist23 wrote:Swagman.Are you a racist???

I don't believe I'm a racist but then you look at it differently.

Some of the claims of racism out there are just plain ridiculous.

I do not draw conclusions about anyone based upon their 'race', but upon their actions. There are plenty of people that I don't particularly like and I can assure you that the vast majority of them are from my own particular gene pool.

Look at yourself? You seem to have a particular dislike for Australians for some reason? What was it you posted?........... 'most Australians are racist'? That in itself is a racist comment using your definitions. You are tarring us all with the one brush mate....
Australia was declared terra nullius, meaning "land belonging to no one", when it was initially discovered by Captain James Cook. It was found that Aboriginal Australians lacked any political sophistication and there was no recognised authority with the power to sign treaties with the British as it happened in other British colonies such as America and New Zealand, which empowered American Indians and New Zealand Maori to negotiate with British colonial authorities as equal partners. As a result, Aboriginal Australians had been denied the right to sell or assign land and the Australian Constitution still has a section that could technically disenfranchise indigenous Australians. Section 51(xxvi) of the Australian Constitution originally made a specific exclusion for Aboriginal people until this exception was removed in the 1967 referendum and Australia has made some progress since those sections were originally drafted more than a century ago.

On Monday afternoon, Prince William and Kate headed out to their first engagement of the tour to Wellington's Government House, where George watched proceedings from the window. The Duke and Duchess were treated to a traditional Maori ceremonial welcome, also known as the Powhiri, where they enjoyed speeches, dancing and singing. The couple also were presented with an inspection of the Guard of Honour.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2014040718014/prince-william-kate-middleton-george-new-zealand-tour/
[quote="ThirdTerm"]Section 51(xxvi) the Australian Constitution originally made a specific exclusion for Aboriginal people until this exception was removed in the 1967 referendum and Australia has made some progress since those sections were originally drafted more than a century ago.[quote]

What amazes me that in 1967 the other racist sections of the constitution were not removed.There must have been a decision to leave in the racist sections in the constitution.An opportunity to remove them was missed.WHY???
There is no surprise in any of this !

The Australian constitution is founded on racism. By the way what winds me up the most is that most Aussies like to think they are a unique race when in fact most originated from Europe and more recently Asia and the Middle East.

At the same time, the only true Australians are demonised by the other so called Aussies as sub humans and criminals. The racism directed towards indigenous Australians by non indigenous Australians is hardly unique though, its a global tradition !
fractalign wrote:There is no surprise in any of this !

The Australian constitution is founded on racism. By the way what winds me up the most is that most Aussies like to think they are a unique race when in fact most originated from Europe and more recently Asia and the Middle East.

At the same time, the only true Australians are demonised by the other so called Aussies as sub humans and criminals. The racism directed towards indigenous Australians by non indigenous Australians is hardly unique though, its a global tradition !

I agree completely.
I have lived in Australia for 20 years and know the score.Many Australians are basically white supremacists, arrogant and vocal.Very similar to rednecks and they are not challenged by other Australians.
While the Australian Constitution does not have real effects on people's mindset because only legal professionals actually read it, Australia's mainstream media routinely stirs up immigration fears, which may negatively affect how some people behave in public, and it's not limited to few media outlets on the extreme-right of the political spectrum. The opinion piece recently published in The Age linked the free trade agreement between South Korea and Australia to the eurozone's free movement of workers despite the fact that EU-style integration is next to impossible due to the ideological divide in the Asia-Pacific region and Australia would not be a part of Asian integration even when it's possible with a collapse of Communist China. To make matters worse, Australia's race law will be amended by the Abbot government to allow political commentaries which are racially objectionable and some journalists and commentators would feel more free to disseminate their right-wing talking points.

The next item on the free trade agenda of corporations is likely to be the free movement of labour. This is one of the four economic freedoms of the European Union: free movement of goods, services, capital and labour. Outside Europe, some trade agreements already include free movement of specific categories of labour such as service providers, intra-company employees, business visitors and professionals. No doubt big business in Australia would welcome such a development. Mining companies in the north-west already import labour. The free movement of labour in Europe allows citizens of participating countries to freely migrate within the union. Is Australia facing the same free trade prospect? What impact might such arrangements have when our free trade partners are mostly overcrowded countries? We should consider carefully whether increased market access for beef, for example, is worth the loss of sovereignty and future working and living conditions, especially when it may be foreign companies owning farms of the future.
http://www.theage.com.au/comment/beware-stings-in-tail-of-free-trade-agreements-20140413-36lkl.html
ThirdTerm wrote: To make matters worse, Australia's race law will be amended by the Abbot government to allow political commentaries which are racially objectionable and some journalists and commentators would feel more free to disseminate their right-wing talking points.

A very interesting post.Murdochs control much of the media as well and racism is peddled openly by the press.The media reinforcing Australians prejudices and setting the agenda.The politicians have to look tough on foreigners both the left and right wing.
We have similar problems in Great Britain.

There seems to be movement in regards to the reform of the racist Australian constitution.
Local indigenous leaders say they are seeking a renewed focus on a referendum for constitutional recognition of indigenous Australians.

Last year, parliament passed a bill recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the country's first inhabitants, but the constitution contains no mention of them.

"I think we're all in favour of doing the right thing by Aboriginal people," Mr Abbott (Australian PM) said.

"The important thing now is to set a timetable for this [the referendum]... It's more important that we get it right than we rush it, because the last thing anyone ought to want is to put a proposal of this nature to the people and have it fail."

High rates of unemployment in indigenous areas will also be on the agenda.

Indigenous Australians, who make up about 2% of the population, are the country's most disadvantaged group.

They have higher rates of infant mortality, drug abuse, alcoholism and unemployment than the rest of the population.

Trump and Biden have big differences on some issue[…]

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]