Privatiszation of School & hospitals - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
The New treasurer Scott Morrison has called for the states to allow the private sector to run schools and hospitals. Given that running Power networks and public transport has not resulted in better service or budgets savings how can this be taken seriously.
I catch a bus run by a private company every morning and it's pretty much exactly the same as catching a bus run by Sydney Buses. Very few problems, if any.

Private schools and hospitals already operate in most of Australia so I don't see the issue.
^ aside from ballooning costs, unscrupulous labour practices, bankster-style self-enrichment at the top, using government subsidies to purchase substandard material for exorbitant prices, no trace of this 'fabled market efficiency' whatsoever (one of the core arguments for privatisation) and reduced services for all (in the case of public transport, less bus lines and a circumscribed schedule).

In the case of schools you'll find that students will be required to make more 'contributions' towards their education, as in purchasing essentials such as paper (lol). With hospitals they'll be charging patients more.
The Sabbaticus wrote:^ aside from ballooning costs, unscrupulous labour practices, bankster-style self-enrichment at the top, using government subsidies to purchase substandard material for exorbitant prices, no trace of this 'fabled market efficiency' whatsoever (one of the core arguments for privatisation) and reduced services for all (in the case of public transport, less bus lines and a circumscribed schedule).

In the case of schools you'll find that students will be required to make more 'contributions' towards their education, as in purchasing essentials such as paper (lol). With hospitals they'll be charging patients more.

And what are people going to do about it apart from complaining online? Slacktivism - changing the world one complaint at a time.

Privatisation will continue unabated because either the public support this or people are too lazy to do anything.
Last edited by Quantum on 03 Oct 2015 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
I thought the Netherlands had a widely privatised voucher educational system. Neoliberals are always touting your system.
That's correct, hence my knowledge pertaining to this subject. However I'm not immediately impacted by privatisation measures in Australia, and as such I can not be accused of 'slacktivism' vis-a-vis this topic.
The Sabbaticus wrote:^ aside from ballooning costs, unscrupulous labour practices, bankster-style self-enrichment at the top, using government subsidies to purchase substandard material for exorbitant prices, no trace of this 'fabled market efficiency' whatsoever (one of the core arguments for privatisation) and reduced services for all (in the case of public transport, less bus lines and a circumscribed schedule).

As if any of these things aren't occuring right now. Managers of governmental departments are notorious here for having opaque (and over the top) remuneration systems. What would not be a circumscribed schedule? Buses aren't taxis.

The Sabbaticus wrote:In the case of schools you'll find that students will be required to make more 'contributions' towards their education, as in purchasing essentials such as paper (lol). With hospitals they'll be charging patients more.

I went to a government school, run by a governmental department and we paid for our own stationery. It's pretty normal.

We have government-paid healthcare in Australia. If you're willing to go on the waiting list you're not charged anything as far as I know.
Good to see Quantum is still as sunny as ever.

In 2010, the British Labour and Conservative parties proposed a plan to get the best of both worlds from private and national ownership, where state employees would be allowed to form coops to run schools and hospitals and so on. Didn't get off the ground but interesting to consider as an alternative to over-bureaucratic or predatory systems.

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

There are conditions that must be met for Ukraine[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]