School uniforms - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
By Potemkin
And if they are, there is no need to enforce equality by use of uniforms.

Actually, there is. Modern capitalism requires at least the appearance of equality in order to function. Feudalism was based upon, and required for its continued existence, a definite and visible social hierarchy, which was reinforced with sumptuary laws - only the aristocracy were allowed to wear silk or taffeta, for example. Capitalism requires the presumption (though not the reality) of equality - the "level playing field" and all that nonsense. The modern business suit was therefore invented as a kind of 'uniform' for the new capitalist class. It is a highly simplified costume and can therefore be purchased relatively cheaply - it has no silks or ruffles, for example. If a suit is expensive, then it's not usually obviously expensive, unlike the clothing of the feudal aristocracy. This visible imposition of (theoretical) equality is, in fact, essential to the capitalist system. It is the ideology of the bourgeoisie made visible.
Thank you all for the feedback.
I have to say, that I do understand all comments, that are against my opinion. However, I still think it is a shame that in this society clothes (uniforms) have an influence on peoples behaviour towards other people.

I do read, it is normal, it is part of being human. I agree with that, there is no way to not accepting that this is a fact. Although, it is a shame.

Anyhow, ... I still don't like uniforms. :)
By colliric
Kids should be forced to wear school uniforms, particularly if they are boys to wear uniforms with ties, shirts and trousers because they are actually a para-educational device, particularly for young boys like I was.

I learnt how to tie a perfect windsor knot though years of daily experience lasting from 1992 to 2001.... and tuck in my shirt, and pull up my socks. Iron my shirts, iron my pants, wash them and everything.

As far as I'm concerned my school uniforms were my official training suits. Taught me how to dress properly.

Wearing a school uniform forces you to learn how to wear a suit properly later in life, and that is priceless.
By Fasces
An aim of a government should be to improve national cohesion. This is done effectively through shared experiences across the body politic. It helps especially if this is done without regard to social or economic class. Uniforms could do this effectively, as could other actions like mandatory youth groups, conscription, the creation of national fraternities, mass popular programming, etc. Anything to create these shared experiences that bind a group together, and can create empathy for those within the national group.
By Igor Antunov
School uniforms are a godsend, saved so many povo kids from bullying. Even then it wasn't enough, if your shirt looked a little too tattered/smelled, you would not survive the school year. There was a kid nicknamed 'turtle' because he had a hunched back. He would come to school looking like the rest of us, albeit he smelled like piss because his parents couldn't afford more than one set of uniform and his mum didn't clean his clothes properly. One day he made the near-fatal mistake of trying to stand up for himself. He was beaten up by a large group of degenerates (kids from career welfare families), had his teeth broken and ended up in intensive care. He had to change schools. ~15 students were expelled for the assault. All because he smelled. Guess uniforms can't cover that up.
By Drlee
Anyone who has been an enlisted man in the military knows exactly why uniforms work.

During the Viet Nam war I went to basic training at a place called Fort Polk Louisiana. (Tigerland. Look it up.) Our first few days were spent at a place called the reception station. There we were. People from everywhere. Drafted college graduates, poor kids from Georgia, hippies, cowboys from Montana and people of all races. We immediately split up into cliques based upon our uniforms. Those with cowboy boots in one group. Those with long hair in another. The long-sleeve shirt and slacks folks in another. That was our comfort zone and those were our people.

Then one day they marched us to the barber shop, cut off all of our hair, and issued us all the same green fatigue uniforms. Even our dress green uniforms were carefully tailored for the same fit. The transformation was complete. Without our visual cues we were all (with the exception of the black soldiers) the same. We couldn't even remember who had the long hair and mostly couldn't even remember our friend's name. (Fortunately we had our last names written on our chests along with US ARMY. We belonged to one team and we had one enemy....the Army. Basic training was designed so that no individual could go it alone. You had to have the support of the team to be successful. It worked like a charm.

Grown ups are supposed to help children grow up. A 16 year old, even as much as they want to be considered an adult, is one of those children. We adults ought to remember that. There is plenty of time for them to develop a fashion style. First let's get them through school.
By The Sabbaticus
James Sonny Crockett wrote:But what do you do, when those kids become adults and find a job?
Somehow, somewhere ... there comes a time that equality no longer is related to clothes you wear?
So why, letting children believe that clothes are relevant in relation to equality?

School uniforms protect children from the commercial predations of corporate entities that specifically target children. Similarly many countries forbid candy commercials during the day in order to protect children. Toy commercials are also increasingly restricted on television.

And appearance will always matter. Even in 'slack-ville do-as-you-please' schools the children will naturally gravitate towards those that have a similar appearance and will use punitive actions against those that do not.

@Rich more veterans lose their lives in peace ti[…]

@FiveofSwords You still haven't told us how yo[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

You just do not understand what politics is. Poli[…]

Are you aware that the only difference between yo[…]