Australian special forces involved in murder of 39 Afghan civilians - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Australia.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please.
Atlantis wrote:
That's easier said than done. We have to live in the world we have and not in the world we wished we had. That means the power politics of the big powers does matter and the only way for the smaller countries to survive is to unite to defend against the predatory instincts of the big guys.

The UN is too big, too diverse and permanently blocked by the opposing interests of the veto powers to allow for any meaningful cooperation. That's where organizations like the EU can achieve a lot more because they are more homogeneous and have common values such as the rule of law and democracy. These restrictions mean that not all countries can comply with membership criteria, but it's not a matter of installing a new ready-made world organization from the drawing board. That never happens in the real world. It's a matter of gradual organic growth.
I absolutely agree, we do not need to build from scratch. We have a framework to build on in the UN model. As yet nations lack political will due to national self interest and croney capitalism.
Herefordrob wrote:I absolutely agree, we do not need to build from scratch. We have a framework to build on in the UN model. As yet nations lack political will due to national self interest and croney capitalism.

UN model is dysfunctional for higher governmental functions as it is right now. I think that UN proves that national model is a necessity right now simply by the virtue of UN being dysfunctional at fulfilling relatively same kind of tasks.

The only function it has is as a diplomatic platform of sorts or rules creation for diplomacy.

If you complain about US forcing its allies to war then I have some bad news for UN if UN tries some kind of similar actions.

EU is not prepared on nuclear war, but Russia,[…]

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]