DEE Rail Investment Plan - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Zagadka
The DEE is announcing our plans for the construction of the "backbone" heavy rail network.

Expected costs will be $400 million, but a more realistic figure, and our target budget, is $800 million. This takes into account difficulties on terrain and unexpected constructiuon problems.

A major part of this investment is buying land for construction. Part of this expense will be absorbed by selling land surrounding train stations - mostly planned to be warehouses, silos, and other structures that make utilizing the rail network more intuitive and efficient.

The backbone network, the first stage of construction, is going to be one rail network on each main island. It will carry industrial, agricultural, energy, and passenger loads.

This is a very rough map of the system. Natural topography features are not taken into account ((because they don't exist)).

http://www.zagadka.net/pofo/rail_backbone.png
By Vladimir
Why the massive diversion to Gorky city without a bypass link ?

Anyway sounds good but we could introduce temporary zoning taxes that would be designed to drive down the prices of the land we need to save costs.
By Zagadka
Why the massive diversion to Gorky city without a bypass link ?

Gorkiy is a large port on that shore. A bypass link will be added later. For now, I want to keep one route, for simplicity and so we can monitor traffic and adjust to needs.

I suppose a change could be made and have the route go from Horring to Gorkiy and bypass Alesund... but the Gorkiy-Norchester shipping lane needs to be supplied. Gorkiy is the most direct route to merket for products.

Anyway sounds good but we could introduce temporary zoning taxes that would be designed to drive down the prices of the land we need to save costs.

I do not want to trample on the toes of the landowners who need their land to make a living. THe land will be bought at market rate (minus land they purchase from the state around stations). For the more rural areas, we can actually plow straight through the land with minimum disruption.
By Vladimir
I do not want to trample on the toes of the landowners who need their land to make a living. THe land will be bought at market rate (minus land they purchase from the state around stations). For the more rural areas, we can actually plow straight through the land with minimum disruption.

But they will be driven out by corporate agriculture eventually anyway, why not hasten the process? :D

Gorkiy is a large port on that shore. A bypass link will be added later. For now, I want to keep one route, for simplicity and so we can monitor traffic and adjust to needs.

I suppose a change could be made and have the route go from Horring to Gorkiy and bypass Alesund... but the Gorkiy-Norchester shipping lane needs to be supplied. Gorkiy is the most direct route to merket for products.

Sure, it will do for now. I guess it will be a curved coastal rail anyway, and the bypass will be a part of the future inland network.

BTW, it is fair to assume we have no railways at all though? :hmm:
By Zagadka
But they will be driven out by corporate agriculture eventually anyway, why not hasten the process? :D

I support our independent labor.

BTW, it is fair to assume we have no railways at all though? :hmm:

Existing networks will be dismantled and sold to local landowners. The new rail systems will be integrated and follow a new set of standards... though we may make use of some of the land.
By Dr House
Vladimir wrote:Anyway sounds good but we could introduce temporary zoning taxes that would be designed to drive down the prices of the land we need to save costs.

Implementing a land value tax would be best to achieve this. That way we do not incur on any costs from land use whatsoever.
By Zyx
Put some numbers on this, Zagadka and make it in bill form.

Note: I just realized that Dr House's sig is unreadable for the language and font choice.
By Dr House
"He who is not proud of his origins will amount to nothing, for he starts by looking down on himself."

-Pedro Albizu Campos

You didn't watch the video I posted earlier which[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities […]

The GOP is pretty much the anti-democracy party a[…]

I just read a few satires by Juvenal, and I still[…]