Minority Goverments - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By Vanasalus
I really do not understand why everybody is running away from early elections as if they saw a ghost.

It is now clear that this parliament will not produce a government. It is time to go back to the people and ask them to solve the problems that we could not.

I will not vote for a minority government, which is, for my part, is nothing but postponing the inevitable for a week or two.

We need a new election. We need a new election now.
By Donna
Guys, instead of thinking what's best for our "country", start thinking about what's best to keep this game alive.
By Subversive Rob
The problem with a 'new election' is that it is very unlikely to produce a majority (or indeed any re-configuration of votes) because there is no electorate that is separate from the party members. Although there may be one or two people willing to go over, short of several parties literally amalgamating into one (e.g. the possible coalitions actually stand as one party) we will be right back here following a new election.

So realistically, minority government is the only way to go. Frankly, I also think that having unstable minority governments is going to be much more fun than having grand coalitions kept together by fear of letting x or y in. Given what I said about voting above that is surely likely to just result in a permanent ruling coalition throughout the whole game (unless the coalitions are really fractious, in which case they will be a minority government in all but name),
By HoniSoit
Rob wrote:Frankly, I also think that having unstable minority governments is going to be much more fun than having grand coalitions kept together by fear of letting x or y in.

I agree. I was making the same point earlier. A minority government will inject more dynamics into the sim making it much more fun than a stable government passing bills at will.
By Vanasalus
The problem with a 'new election' is that it is very unlikely to produce a majority (or indeed any re-configuration of votes) because there is no electorate that is separate from the party members.

It may be true for your party. It is not necessarily true for others. ;)
By Subversive Rob
Well, there's a possibility of some THP people going off I guess, and I suppose that some SLDs could form up with the PUC. But I don't think this would be enough to produce a party with a majority. As such the issue would still be coalitions, and the people negotiating would be the same. So, given this (and given there is no real electorate to exert pressure to form a government) we'd remain in exactly the same position. The only thing that might perhaps change things is if there was an influx of voters who weren't previously participating, who now all choose one (or two) parties, this seems unlikely.
By Vanasalus
Well, there's a possibility of some THP people going off I guess,

If this thought helps you feel better, be my guest.

But I don't think this would be enough to produce a party with a majority. As such the issue would still be coalitions, and the people negotiating would be the same.

True. We will have a fractured parliament. Yet, with an immensely different arithmetic...

I do not like to speak in certainty. Yet, I am 100% certain that those, who, in this way or that way, stalled the formation of a good government, shall see their corresponding parties growing thin.

So, given this (and given there is no real electorate to exert pressure to form a government) we'd remain in exactly the same position.

If you say so. 8)

:lol: ‘Caracalla’ and ‘Punic’, @FiveofSwords .[…]

Trump still has sentencing. LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM[…]

Current Jewish population estimates in Mexico com[…]

Ukraine stands with Syrian rebels against Moscow- […]