Coalition confidence vote discussion thread - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Unofficial results to date (Bloc voting allowed):

Grand Coalition: 45
SN-RF/THP: 18

Unofficial results to date (Bloc voting not allowed, internal party seat allocation allowed):

Grand Coalition: 21

Unofficial results (One man, one vote):

Grand Coalition: 15

So Demos, given that the confidence vote was already underway and you seem not to have yet decided on a system to effectively replace bloc voting, will you allow the vote to proceed on basis of the rules set forth by Dan in the OP?
By ingliz
I have given my thoughts in the "updates discussion" thread.

I think the number of parliamentary seats has to be reduced significantly and then the Parties should compile party lists of suitable candidates, the most reliable and willing at the top obviously.

Either call fresh elections or using the results we've got allocate the seats to each party proportionately using the party lists.

If for any reason the list cannot support the vote then the party loses those potential seats. Say the list contained 5 names but the votes would have given the party 7 seats unless the party can coopt members those seats are void. Those approved candidates are now MP's and hold the seat, not the party leader or the Party but the MP as in a real life representative legislature.

If any MP goes walkabout the party can coopt a replacement but it's not musical chairs, the ousted MP cannot sit again until the next electon cycle. If they cannot find a replacement the seat remains "wandering", hard luck, they should have chosen their candidate more wisely.

Crossing the floor is allowed, the seat goes where the MP goes.

This rewards participation, is fair, and stops all this 3 votes here and 2 votes there shenanigans. A Party incapable of raising enough grassroots enthusiasm to enable them to seat MP's doesn't deserve them
Last edited by ingliz on 27 Apr 2009 18:39, edited 2 times in total.
By Gnote
I am generally in agreement with ingliz.

I think we should have something like 35 seats. If there were 100 votes, and a party received 40 of them, they would receive 40% of the 35 seats (or 14 seats). Then, the party leader could distribute those seats amongst his party members. Once distributed, a seat belongs to the representative that sits in it.

This would ensure that a party never acquires more seats than it has members.
By Figlio di Moros
I say let the vote continue as it is and focus on correcting the problem long-term.
By Cheesecake_Marmalade
Uh, Gnote, your system is exactly the same as the system already in place, it just does away with the mechanism. The party head can still allocate most of the votes to himself and a party can still receive a fair amount of popular support with little active members. In fact it discourages participation by rewarding MPs who allocate the least amount of votes to inactive members.

I like the current system where the party leader controls all the seats not voted for because it allows people to go off and come back without actually harming their party any.
By Dr House
Unofficial results to date (Bloc voting allowed):

Grand Coalition: 49

Unofficial results to date (Bloc voting not allowed, internal party seat allocation allowed):

Grand Coalition: 27

Unofficial results (One man, one vote):

Grand Coalition: 19
By The Immortal Goon
(Bloc)
Grand Coalition: 49

(One man, one vote)
Grand Coalition: 19

That shows the absurdity of the bloc voting system. People who lose interest or aren't going to be active get to sign on. Really, if I wanted to railroad this whole thing in my favor, I could just call SE or some other lefty forum with nothing to do to come on here once, join SN, and then pwn every other party on this board based on that single influx. If other things are put in to place, I'll just call them over here for roll-call and then they can leave whenever they want.

Hell, if the bloc voting stands I might just do that. It's pretty much what the "Grand Coalition" is relying on.
By Demosthenes
Tig-

Bloc voting is not standing, see the new Gamemaster thread, and your participation in the discussion is welcome, partiularly if you know something of European voting procedure, or have a reason why there shouldn't be 100 seats in Parliament.
By Dr House
Goon, let me spell it out for you:

Fact 1: We have less party members than you do
Fact 2: We have more seats than you do

Conclusion: If we use all our seats we still have more clout with less members even without full participation.
Last edited by Dr House on 28 Apr 2009 02:27, edited 2 times in total.
By Infidelis
Why don't we simply allow bloc voting and hold new elections, monthly? That way the numbers move around depending on participation...
By Dr House
THat was the original plan, and it's a good one. The reds raised a shitstorm about it because it's politically inconvenient for them.
By Demosthenes
Infidelis wrote:Why don't we simply allow bloc voting and hold new elections, monthly? That way the numbers move around depending on participation...

It's after 9pm. The voting will be held bi-monthly unless a ruling body wants to change that themselves later.

The next elections are scheduled for two months from the last voting period which was the week of Easter for those in Europe and NA. According to my calender that was Apr 9-15, and also included a special extended voting period to account for the Holiday.

Next election then would be June 8 (Monday) to June 12 (Friday), with a slight adjustment to run it from M-F. It's probably a good idea to hold them say, second week of every other month, or specifically, the second Monday-Friday of every other month, beginning at 12:00 Noon CDT (GMT-5) although I'm open to any time during the day as a start time.

That leaves just over 6 weeks for whichever ruling coaltion gets off the ground to go to work.
By Gnote
CM wrote:Uh, Gnote, your system is exactly the same as the system already in place, it just does away with the mechanism. The party head can still allocate most of the votes to himself and a party can still receive a fair amount of popular support with little active members.

Of course we would always want to do whatever we can to ensure that we pander as much as possible to those who are least interested in the game.

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]