Parliamentary Lobby (MPs Only) - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By ingliz
Maglev is not affordable at this time but I have no objection to a short line to be used for testing the technology as long as it goes somewhere (say the airport from the city centre) before we commit billions of dollars, if we ever do.
Last edited by ingliz on 28 May 2009 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave
Maglev is still very expensive, with capital costs of about $100m/mile. The maintenance costs are lower than high speed steel rail since there is no traction and thus no friction. It requires a large amount of electricity.

If this is too bold, then let's buy the rights to license-build the AGV from Alstom.

As for money, based on the revenue bill ingliz and I have devised that shouldn't be an issue so long as you guys don't blow all the money on social programs.
By ingliz
It should give us the means to implement our minimum programme without excessive borrowing.
By Donna
*walks into the room with his pet Pomeranian, takes a seat, sips a brandy*
By Dave
ingliz wrote:It should give us the means to implement our minimum programme without excessive borrowing.

I don't think we should be borrowing anything given the banana republic finances of the previous el supremo. You're looking at collecting 35% of GDP IIRC, which is a lot of revenue. It's certainly less than European countries, but with no legacy entitlements it's practically an ocean of money.
By ingliz
It looks closer to 38% on my figures, I was hoping to spend 8% on infrastructure which should ease our employment problems if we transfer the redundant army personnel into a labour corps under military discipline, private/public partnerships, community work/training schemes, etc, etc.
Last edited by ingliz on 28 May 2009 22:52, edited 3 times in total.
By Zyx
Theoretically we already have programmes. The question becomes how costly are these already running programmes?
By Dave
Zyx wrote:Theoretically we already have programmes. The question becomes how costly are these already running programmes?

The previous gov't was spending a lot of its tax revenue on debt interest (and we will too) and most of the rest on corruption. Beyond that there's law and order, general gov't, etc. which is not particularly costly.
By ingliz
The previous gov't was spending a lot of its tax revenue on debt interest (and we will too)

2.5% of GDP - 10% its spend?

Zyx wrote:I do declare MP ingliz, you should make a separate thread for the debating of Acts.

OK, it has a thread of its own. :)
By Dr House
ingliz wrote:2.5% of GDP - 10% its spend?

7.5% of GDP, 31% of its spending.
By Zyx
So 2.5% of GDP.

What's that amount?

You're saying that the other 69% is already being spent on existing programmes, aye?
By Dr House
Zyx wrote:So 2.5% of GDP.

no, 7.5% of GDP.

Total debt is 150% of GDP, treasury bond interest rates are 5%.
By Zyx
~33% of 7.5% is 2.5%.

Anyway, just tell us how much we can spend. Raw number.
By Dr House
Zyx wrote:~33% of 7.5% is 2.5%.

Originally, public spending was 23.5% of GDP.

Currently government revenues are around 38% of GDP ($241 billion), and for simplicity's sake we can just assume the government cracked down on corruption and revenue collection fraud. Public debt interest is 7.5% of GDP ($47.5 billion), and due to our terrible finances we can't run budget deficits. So we have $193.5 billion (30.5% of GDP) a year available.
By ingliz
A ridiculous number House and if you continue to fuck up our "game" we will start playing by our rules and this game will be taken over by the bolsheviks and not a bunch of cuddly old labour teddy bears >: .
By Dr House
ingliz wrote:A ridiculous number House

:?: I thought you yourself said earlier that 38% of GDP is what current revenues add up to. I had mentioned with a lot of time in advance that the public debt was staggering, and so was the interest payment on it.

ingliz wrote:if you continue to fuck up our "game" we will start playing by our rules and this game will be taken over by the bolsheviks and not a bunch of cuddly old labour teddy bears >: .

Then the game dissolves. If the government won't work with us, me, my party and the entire right will leave. I have already shown tremendous good faith by voting in favor of your proposed government and instructing my party to do likewise.
By ingliz
At this point I couldn't give a flying fuck, reduce your debt interest immediately, otherwise my bloated army rounds up the "fascist" right and puts them against the wall, the government confiscates all major industry, oil, shipbuilding, mining, etc. in the name of the workers and cancels your public debt.
Last edited by ingliz on 29 May 2009 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
By Dr House
Fine, but my numbers were drawn up in an official capacity as a member of the GM council. They stand.
By ingliz
Fine by me

@FiveofSwords On e again, you fail to provide[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]