Flagship - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By MB.
I would like to gain support for a movement to raise the funds to acquire and modernize the USS Iowa from the United States reserve naval graveyard in Suisun Bay, Sacramento, to be named and recommissioned as the flagship of the PoFo Republican navy.

USS Iowa is on the near right.
By ingliz
Why?
By Donna
It appears the SN-RF government has to deal with a militarist dissent to their limp-wristedness.
By ingliz
Why waste money on something that has no military value?
By MB.
no military value?

What are you talking about? I should stage a coup just for that retarded comment.
By ingliz
Unless you are standing off the coast of some godforsaken third world banana republic what possible use it; remember the "General Belgrano".
By MB.
:roll:
By Thunderhawk
I oppose.
'tis a waste of money.
By Zagadka
Crazy idea here, just thinking outside of the box... how about we NOT put the command flag on a relic over 60 years old?

My token gesture would be making the flagship a heavy naval rescue ship, with the ability to launch helicopters (many countries have this kind of carrier).
By Thunderhawk
Spain, Portugal and Iceland are our neighbours. They have traditionally agressive fishing fleets. Would we be using our navy to protect our water from over fishing? And by protect, I mean sink those who violate our waters.
By MB.
Well obviously we'd blow anyone who fucked with us out of the water.
By Figlio di Moros
MB. wrote:I would like to gain support for a movement to raise the funds to acquire and modernize the USS Iowa from the United States reserve naval graveyard in Suisun Bay, Sacramento, to be named and recommissioned as the flagship of the PoFo Republican navy.

No, it's a completely retarded idea; we're trying to build a modern Navy, not one that was obsolete in WWII.

OOC- if we're gonna go with a relic for a flag ship, how about we dig up an old wooden ship, something akin to the USS Constitution or the HMS Guerriere? While it'll never be used in battle, it'd serve well to motivate our sailors and promote pride in their heritage & service.
By Thunderhawk
if we're gonna go with a relic for a flag ship, how about we dig up an old wooden ship, something akin to the USS Constitution or the HMS Guerriere? While it'll never be used in battle, it'd serve well to motivate our sailors and promote pride in their heritage & service.

I like and support this idea.
By MB.
not one that was obsolete in WWII

USS Iowa is still not obsolete today.

While it'll never be used in battle, it'd serve well to motivate our sailors and promote pride in their heritage & service.

Such a scheme would be useful only for educational purposes, especially considering that the decayed carapaces of the wooden frigates you suggest raising cannot be exposed to oxygen for any sustained duration.

how about we NOT put the command flag on a relic over 60 years old?

HMS Victory was 47 when it flew the flag of Nelson at Trafalgar.
By Dave
ingliz wrote:Unless you are standing off the coast of some godforsaken third world banana republic what possible use it; remember the "General Belgrano".

What ASW capability did the Argentine Navy have? At any rate I just read the Wikipedia article about this, and I discovered that some people in the UK protested this sinking because Argentine sailors died. The horror, enemy sailors being killed in wartime!
By MB.
Dave you are aware of the controversy: specifically, the Thatcher government had made it clear that it would not target vessels outside or sailing away from the exclusion zone. It is the clear violation of that (British Government) policy that concerned British civilians at the time.
By Potemkin
And let's not forget the mysterious disappearing log book. :lol:
By Dave
MB. wrote:Dave you are aware of the controversy: specifically, the Thatcher government had made it clear that it would not target vessels outside or sailing away from the exclusion zone. It is the clear violation of that (British Government) policy that concerned British civilians at the time.

Exclusion zones concern neutral powers, not belligerents. The freaking Kaiser declared an exclusion zone during WWI. It seems to me that these protesters were, as usual, pathetic lovers of weakness.
By Vladimir
It seems to me that these protesters were, as usual, pathetic lovers of weakness.

Dave's brilliant :lol:
By MB.
Dave is correct, of course. The surplus people and the subhuman peaceniks should be killed or sterilized or at the least, forced to eat meat as children. The surplus women (more liberal peaceniks!) should be trained to give Dave anal sex whenever he wants it and to fulfil all his other inane desires and demands.

[T]he [N]orth did not partake in the institution […]

Who is? The protest at the U of A did not do tha[…]

Is it happening to you right now? Bring on the vi[…]

Judaism is older than Christianity, dude. And I[…]