Standard Measurements - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
Forum rules: This is a the archive of the "PoFo Parliament". A user-run project.
By MB.
Why?
By Dr House
Because Imperial is superior.

It just is.

I can agree to the use of metric if, and only if, we adopt Fahrenheit as well. Metric makes more sense even if I have a personal preference for Imperial, but Fahrenheit is much better for measuring weather, which it was originally intended for.
By Dave
I like the idea of metric weights and measures except for temperature.
By Doomhammer
Metric and celsius.
By Dave
Celsius is terrible for weather, you foreigners have been missing out. It's so much easier to be able to say that the temperature is in the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. then to fiddle around with Celsius.
By Dr House
It just occurred to me that this could tie in quite nicely with the proposal made in another thread that there is an east-west divide between pro-Americans and pro-Europeans. Pro-Americans would informally use Imperial, and pro-Europeans would informally use metric, with the standard of measurement being metric except for temperature.
By MB.
Fahrenheit is much better for measuring weather, which it was originally intended for.

The Fahrenheit scale is absurdly obsolete and I propose replacing with completely with the metric Celsius scale.

Celsius is terrible for weather, you foreigners have been missing out. It's so much easier to be able to say that the temperature is in the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. then to fiddle around with Celsius.

Actually it's much easier to use Celsius. You foreigners have been missing out.

with the standard of measurement being metric except for temperature.

Aweful aweful idea. Back to the stone age with you please.
By Dave
MB. wrote:The Fahrenheit scale is absurdly obsolete and I propose replacing with completely with the metric Celsius scale.

How is it obsolete? Does weather not exist anymore?

MB. wrote:Actually it's much easier to use Celsius. You foreigners have been missing out.

How is Celsius at all easier for weather? It's not nearly as easy to describe the weather based on your perception of temperature with the Celsius scale.
By MB.
How is it obsolete? Does weather not exist anymore?

Obsolete in the same way Roman Numerals are obsolete. Sure some movie companies might need the IIs and IVs and what have you for bad movie sequels (or prequels) but in regard to 99% of all parlance (scientific or otherwise) a better base ten system exists.

How is Celsius at all easier for weather? It's not nearly as easy

Thanks for the input, captain subjective.
By Dave
MB. wrote:Obsolete in the same way Roman Numerals are obsolete. Sure some movie companies might need the IIs and IVs and what have you for bad movie sequels (or prequels) but in regard to 99% of all parlance (scientific or otherwise) a better base ten system exists.

Arabic numerals are actually easier to use. Celsius is not easier to use.

MB. wrote:Thanks for the input, captain subjective.

"My the weather feels like it's between 15-19 today" :roll:
By MB.
"My the weather feels like it's between 15-19 today" *rolleyes*

Are you fucking kidding me?
By Dr House
Metric is easier to measure, sure, but it's just fucking awkward to use in everyday parlance. Saying miles, inches, feet and yards is much easier on the tongue than saying kilometers, meters and centimeters (the relationship is inverted for celsius and Fahrenheit but that's the exception). The gap narrows in Spanish, but imperial measures still sound better and none of youse speak Spanish anyway.

And I'm sorry Bill but Fahrenheit is better for rough measurements of weather, it was designed for it. Celsius was designed for scientific measurement, which is why it has a scientifically basic starting and ending point (0 and 100 being the freezing and boiling temperature of water). Fahrenheit on the other hand was roughly fixed at zero being a very cold winter day and 100 being a very hot summer day.

I'm proposing a compromise. There are many Americans here that are as opposed to Imperial as you are to Metric, and as I mentioned above they are justified in being so. Ultimately it's a matter of cultural division, so this is a difficult issue to reconcile. You are not automatically in the right.
By Oxymoron
Metric doesnt take the Golden section into account, I prefer the old school measurements as they mean something beyond making it easy for suzy to measure her fucking huge ass.
By MB.
I was under the impression that the Fahrenheit system was devised for the purpose of measuring body temperature. But whatever the case the Celsius system is easier to use and as you noted is the scientific choice.

so this is a difficult issue to reconcile

No, there is no argument here. Either you are living in the 18th century and are building astrolabes on the Ptolemaic model and measuring temperature in Fahrenheit, or you're using the Celsius system (and may or may not be taking over europe).
By Dr House
MB. wrote:I was under the impression that the Fahrenheit system was devised for the purpose of measuring body temperature. But whatever the case the Celsius system is easier to use and as you noted is the scientific choice.

How is Celsius (or any metric measurement) easier for everyday parlance?

MB. wrote:No, there is no argument here. Either you are living in the 18th century and are building astrolabes on the Ptolemaic model and measuring temperature in Fahrenheit, or you're using the Celsius system (and may or may not be taking over europe).

So, how does the only nation that uses Imperial in the World also happen to be the tenth-wealthiest nation in the World and a leader in technological innovation? Please.
By MB.
So, how does the only nation that uses Imperial in the World also happen to be the tenth-wealthiest nation in the World and a leader in technological innovation? Please.

Do you actaully want me to answer this question? I'm trying to study for a test on the American civil war at the moment.

How is Celsius (or any metric measurement) easier for everyday parlance?

It uses a base ten system if u look at your hands you will notice that u have ten fingers...
By Dr House
MB. wrote:Do you actaully want me to answer this question?

Not really. The point is that our economy is not gonna collapse because we didn't use your pet measuring standard.

MB. wrote:It uses a base ten system if u look at your hands you will notice that u have ten fingers...

So fucking what? How often do you convert measures throughout the day? I do not want to have to say Tyrby is ten kilometers away, it sounds awkward.

Let's do this: You eurofags continue to use Metric while Americans continue to use Imperial, and we follow through with the narrative proposed here of there being an East-West divide.

I am not using Metric.

You aren't very good at concealing your real agen[…]

Then why are the cops not being held accountable […]

@Verv , @Tainari88 , @Potemkin , @Godstud […]

bad news for Moscow impelrism , Welcome home […]