Inequality in America - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
User avatar
By Tainari88
#14880078
What is your opinion of this video?




Do you think this is the way it should be?

I am a socialist folks because even talking about true equality is so far away from what Americans actually can even fathom? They are used to total rip offs. Reality is out of control with the poverty. No one really gets it. Take a look....is that good?
User avatar
By LehmanB
#14881963
The fault in this video is it shows relativity. The same size colum shows X wealth, relative to 10 X rich wealth.
In the future, all the wealth grew so it should be 2X compared to 1000 X wealth of the rich. However its graphic way of showing it is as if your wealth shrinked, cause your column shrinked to show the growing gap.
Besides ignoring this issue, that everyone became richer, the movie is right.
#14882019
LehmanB wrote:The fault in this video is it shows relativity. The same size colum shows X wealth, relative to 10 X rich wealth.
In the future, all the wealth grew so it should be 2X compared to 1000 X wealth of the rich. However its graphic way of showing it is as if your wealth shrinked, cause your column shrinked to show the growing gap.
Besides ignoring this issue, that everyone became richer, the movie is right.


There is a serious gap between the bottom and the very top. It is not 'normal' or 'reasonable' in any way.

If nothing is done to counteract this problem? You are going to have violent conflict. Guaranteed....if not now....somewhere down the line. If people are too overburdened with student loans, never can buy a home in their name, can't save at all or very little, too poor to have kids and raise them and if the majority of millenials and young people just can't get out of any kind of economic hole, despite getting college educations and playing by the rules? You will have a big backlash. Guaranteed.
#14882043
I wanted to discuss with some depth why people in general in many countries all around the world avoid exploitation if they can avoid it.

If a worker can get even a few pennies more an hour in a job in the same field and in the same town, etc they will go for the higher paying job. For obvious reasons.

But many studies say many workers abandon a job not for the pay alone....but for something very fundamental that is very overlooked. Respect. People will stay in a job even if it doesn't pay quite as much as another one, for the simple reason of feeling validated and respected--especially by supervisors or management. This is very interesting. Workers like higher wages of course. But more than that? They like recognition, being praised and considered, and also being validated and respected. That is paramount.

People who work for a living prefer being respected, recognized and validated at work by their co-workers, bosses and peers and by their clients too. It is more important than actual dollars and cents. That is interesting!

Most people in low paying jobs are always interested in more pay....but more than that they are interested in being treated with respect. Inequality is more problematic if there is disrespect towards the lower status people. By far.
By B0ycey
#14882061
The illustration, as unfair as it seems, is actually not America's fundamental problem. The top 1% could have twice the amount they currently have if the poor didn't have to rely on credit to survive because of it. And it's the poors debt mountain that is the problem. For a class of people who don't have two cents to rub together, if there is an economic downturn and jobs are lost and can't be replaced, these debts become toxic. And this "could" bring down the US globalist market monopoly and their GDP figures.

On a brighter note, this would reduce the gap between rich and poor as it would be the creditors who ultimately lose out.
User avatar
By LehmanB
#14882378
The gap is even higher among communist countries :lol:
The gap is indeed a factor. I agree with the discussing topic. Just wanted to add that the factor of well being was improved too. So we will look at what we have, and not just what others have. And it doesn't contrast the fact that gaps do create problems, just we have to extend the frame of talking beyond gaps alone. We can eliminate gaps but lower the well being for everyine- is this worth it? Without this parameter that was ignored in this filmed, the discussion is misleading
#14882465
What amazes me is that poor people put up with this inequality. The rich need to be punished and I mean harassed on a daily basis.
The rich punish the poor on a daily basis. The wealthy should be beaten up, spat at, how dare they flaunt their wealth while the poor are hungry, living in shit housing and their children with no prospects.
Why doesn't this happen. Cause the poor are brainwashed to accept their poverty and to accept this dire situation.



Image
#14882471
LehmanB wrote:The gap is even higher among communist countries :lol:
The gap is indeed a factor. I agree with the discussing topic. Just wanted to add that the factor of well being was improved too. So we will look at what we have, and not just what others have. And it doesn't contrast the fact that gaps do create problems, just we have to extend the frame of talking beyond gaps alone. We can eliminate gaps but lower the well being for everyine- is this worth it? Without this parameter that was ignored in this filmed, the discussion is misleading


You are invalid in everything Lehman. You are. Gaps that are huge and exaggerated all it creates are either two things: Conditions in society that lead to decay in terms of not enough taxes collected to keep infrastructure sound....which is what one sees now in many places in the USA. Second, according to many who know economics a very wealthy man or woman in the top 1% can only consume a limited amount of products, services as an individual person with an army of servants and his or her entourage and they mostly SIT on the money they have. It doesn't circulate as it would with many many thousands or millions of people using services and products in much more modest amounts. That means it shrinks consumption and spending and it doesn't circulate wealth. That is detrimental as well.

In general? Lack of an even distribution of wealth is problematic in terms of it wastes human labor, potential and it keeps an ever increasing pool of potentially productive workers in constant poverty due to lack of investment in things that work for return on the dollar. You invest in preschools and head starts? Has a huge return on the dollar in lack of dropouts in the end....you invest in helping families? You get more productivity in many households. You invest in free state university educations and you don't burden people in their early twenties with thirty years of heavy debts without the ability to buy property or have kids themselves? You will have a halt in new workers replacing old and retired workers, a halt in people getting married, a halt in people being able to raise families, and eventually it will hit the skids in terms of debt outweighing opportunities. There is the inability to be solvent.

That is economic realities. But? Unless something is dealt with in terms of coping with wealth inequality? The profits will peter out and capitalism will also suffer. The trend is not going to be tiny amount of people controlling everything and consuming very little and sitting on the money.....it is going to be 'to hell with the tiny percent and release the funds in mass amounts to most people.' It will get that bad. But the people who hate 'redistribution of wealth' are so brainwashed and intransigent even though they are part of the majority of those who don't get enough of the wealth. They believe they will be the winner of the lotto ticket of powerball of 456 million dollars, even though the odds are astronomically against them. That is how casino capitalist notions of keeping the workers, middle class and even professional class swimming in less and less cash. Lies. That is all that is. Lies. But people believe it.
User avatar
By LehmanB
#14882476
Tainari88 wrote:You are invalid in everything Lehman. You are. Gaps that are huge and exaggerated all it creates are either two things: Conditions in society that lead to decay in terms of not enough taxes collected to keep infrastructure sound....which is what one sees now in many places in the USA. Second, according to many who know economics a very wealthy man or woman in the top 1% can only consume a limited amount of products, services as an individual person with an army of servants and his or her entourage and they mostly SIT on the money they have. It doesn't circulate as it would with many many thousands or millions of people using services and products in much more modest amounts. That means it shrinks consumption and spending and it doesn't circulate wealth. That is detrimental as well.

In general? Lack of an even distribution of wealth is problematic in terms of it wastes human labor, potential and it keeps an ever increasing pool of potentially productive workers in constant poverty due to lack of investment in things that work for return on the dollar. You invest in preschools and head starts? Has a huge return on the dollar in lack of dropouts in the end....you invest in helping families? You get more productivity in many households. You invest in free state university educations and you don't burden people in their early twenties with thirty years of heavy debts without the ability to buy property or have kids themselves? You will have a halt in new workers replacing old and retired workers, a halt in people getting married, a halt in people being able to raise families, and eventually it will hit the skids in terms of debt outweighing opportunities. There is the inability to be solvent.

That is economic realities. But? Unless something is dealt with in terms of coping with wealth inequality? The profits will peter out and capitalism will also suffer. The trend is not going to be tiny amount of people controlling everything and consuming very little and sitting on the money.....it is going to be 'to hell with the tiny percent and release the funds in mass amounts to most people.' It will get that bad. But the people who hate 'redistribution of wealth' are so brainwashed and intransigent even though they are part of the majority of those who don't get enough of the wealth. They believe they will be the winner of the lotto ticket of powerball of 456 million dollars, even though the odds are astronomically against them. That is how casino capitalist notions of keeping the workers, middle class and even professional class swimming in less and less cash. Lies. That is all that is. Lies. But people believe it.

Hey, I just noted there is an extra factor to that, to fulfill the picture. You don't need to convince me there are problems where gaps are too big. I just said that in extra to that, this process have lead to enriching everyone as well. Now we have to weight- is this mild enrichment worth the growing gap?

The media is supposed to hold power to account. It[…]

The countries where feminism is failing to gain t[…]

During the recent negotiations between Kim Jong-no[…]

China has told the United States to butt out of a […]