If the poor get poorer why do they have more stuff than ever before? - Page 17 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#14978439
Pants-of-dog wrote:No, you did not.

You made that claim but you did not support it with evidence, so I am ignoring it.


Please tell me how they can know how much they drink without asking them?
Do you agree people who drink have a tendency to say they drink less than they do?
Do you agree people on welfare being questioned about what benefits they are on and how much they drink might cause them to lie?
#14978706
He is not able Godstud. It is far too hard for him.

You know what would be interesting? What if a Trump dumb ass offered some solutions other than, fuck 'em.
#14978708
Drlee wrote:He is not able Godstud. It is far too hard for him.

You know what would be interesting? What if a Trump dumb ass offered some solutions other than, fuck 'em.

You siding with Godstud on this proves my point that you guys are suffering from the Trump derangement syndrome.
#14978709
No son. I work with the poor all of the time. I know many many and see them in a clinical environment. You don't know them. It makes you say foolish things.
#14978724
Drlee wrote:No son. I work with the poor all of the time. I know many many and see them in a clinical environment. You don't know them. It makes you say foolish things.

I understand you have a lot of poor to work with there in California. I think you will have even more poor to keep you employed as long as the crazy liberal Dems remain in power. I now can understand why you are satisfied with what the left are doing there.
#14978758
Hypothetically speaking, would people really be happy if they had everything they needed? Both materially and socially (family, friends, love, etc.)?

I'm not convinced. I feel like ist's basically impossible to be 100% happy/content in life. It's not in our nature. It's almost like we're happiest when we have at least some level of REAL adversity. In fact, this might be the feature in humans that progresses society. We're always willing to chase what we think would bring us happiness, and thus we invent shit, create social systems, etc. etc. Seems like we only progress when we're not happy with some aspect of our lives. So long as we're always unhappy, we will continue to progress.

Thus, I propose that people who are given everything they want/need and left to idle, would likely engage in self-destructive behavior. I think I do generally agree with "idle hands are the devil's workshop." Or rather, I'm more convinced of that, than people are capable of being truly happy if given everything they want.

No, I'm not proposing that we keep people poor so that they can be happy. :lol: Though, there are very poor people that are VERY happy with their lives.
#14978762
From what I have read, people who are financially unstable are more unhappy becuase of the stress associated with not having money for what they need. After people have enough money to ensure the basics, more money does not mean more happiness.

A guaranteed basic income would get everyone to the point where they are not stressed abou financial stuff, but that is it.
#14978863
A guaranteed income makes sense if you could just give the folks who are receiving welfare the cash and eliminate the beauracracy. Unfortunately, folk who are on welfare don't manage money very well.


Some are some aren't.

A better idea would be to start to take seriously what is making people poor and do something about that. Start by realizing that when one man (Jeff Bezos) has more money than the annual GDP of Alaska, North Dakota and Vermont and who pays wages that keep some of his people below the poverty line, something is wrong. Start there.
#14978869
Pants-of-dog wrote:From what I have read, people who are financially unstable are more unhappy becuase of the stress associated with not having money for what they need. After people have enough money to ensure the basics, more money does not mean more happiness.

A guaranteed basic income would get everyone to the point where they are not stressed abou financial stuff, but that is it.


Agreed. I've had the news on, and those laid off are mighty upset. The work - for - no - pay aren't dead cheery either. Small cafes who serve these folks are starting to lay off or reduce the work-week of their employèes.

It's way past time to increase minimum wage,but I don't see that happening under Trump.


Suntzu wrote:Unfortunately, folk who are on welfare don't manage money very well.


I would think they know how to stretch a dollar well, aaaaand, I can think of a billionaire or two who've made a mess with their money.
#14978870
Stormsmith wrote:Agreed. I've had the news on, and those laid off are mighty upset. The work - for - no - pay aren't dead cheery either. Small cafes who serve these folks are starting to lay off or reduce the work-week of their employèes.

It's way past time to increase minimum wage,but I don't see that happening under Trump.




I would think they know how to stretch a dollar well, aaaaand, I can think of a billionaire or two who've made a mess with their money.


You are talking about .001 of the population. Yes, laid off people are going to be upset. That is not the issue.
We cut back dramatically on cash assistance for a reason. There were too many instances of the cash never benefitting the children.
#14978876
One Degree wrote: Yes, laid off people are going to be upset. That is not the issue.
It is the issue. You'd be upset if the government stopped subsidizing you. Stress is a major factor in unhappiness, and many other health problems.

You'd save as much as you spent, helping people.

One Degree wrote:We cut back dramatically on cash assistance for a reason.
Yes, to increase an unnecessary military budget.

One Degree wrote:There were too many instances of the cash never benefitting the children.
Even less, now.
  • 1
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18

Berlin blocks appearance by convicted Palestini[…]

ITT: Maz is such a massive fucking idiot that he c[…]

Trump and Russiagate

From my observation, you seem to have more energy[…]

Barbary Pirates: America's 1st Encounter with Is[…]