Kniterate, a digital knitting machine that supports up to six threads at a time, is finally coming! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.

I've been watching this product for a long time. I feel as if it has the potential to be the next big thing in additive/home manufacturing, with the possibility to have as much or more of an impact than 3d printing has had. 3d printing IMHO has been a little bit overrated because we can overestimate how many plastic things we are actually going to use and they are very cheap in stores, but custom knitting clothing? The video is not super well done, in that it doesn't go straight to the more impressive things this machine appears to be capable of, but I believe this has the potential to significantly impact certain means of production, taking them away from the de-humanizing factory settings and giving them straight to the individuals who possess a greater level of initiative.
Special purpose asemblers are interesting toys, but they won't fundamentally change the technological landscape. The revolution will come with the development of general purpose factories-in-a-box (or on a trailer) that can be programmed to assemble nearly anything from the simplest of raw ingredients. Just as coal power and industrialization was the impetus to modern capitalism, so shall general purpose assemblers mark its ultimate passing. If the means of production can no longer be monopolized, neither can capital.
The steam engine, internet, railway, etc. etc. is nifty but it will never disrupt the economy. :p

Obviously this particular gizmo wont replace large scale manufacturing of clothing but it's certainly a step in the direction of disrupting it.
Hong Wu wrote:3d printing IMHO has been a little bit overrated because we can overestimate how many plastic things we are actually going to use and they are very cheap in stores, but custom knitting clothing?

I'd put it the other way round - custom knitted clothing is a small market, but "things made from plastic" is far larger. It may well be useful for those already working in small scale textile manufacture, but I can't see that we're all clamouring for a way to get more clothing with our own designs.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

:roll: If the reason why you have no evidence is b[…]

The protest encampments are now spreading to other[…]

I was reading St. Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain […]

I have never seen this on TV, so I can't imagine […]