The New Republican Tax Cuts - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Drlee
I did not call the proposed tax cuts "Trump tax cuts" because they are not his idea. These huge tax cuts are a boon for the wealthy and seem to be a simple pay-back for campaign contributions that the wealthy have been giving them for a decade or more.

That said. Without repeating Fox News talking points such as the absolutely untrue"the US has the highest taxes in the world" what specifically do its supporters here on POFO expect to gain personally from the cuts?

What will the cuts fix that is currently wrong? We are near full employment, the stock market is at an all-time high and growing, our currency is the world's reserve currency and we are attracting investment from throughout the world.

The first version shows a raise in taxes on the lowest earners and a deficit increase of nearly a trillion dollars a year. This makes the democrats meme "tax and spend" look like fiscal conservatism. Further these cuts will completely eliminate the possibility of infrastructure improvements in any meaningful way.

So my question for conservatives is this. What exactly do YOU expect to gain from these? (If you are in the top 2% of earners the answer is obvious.
Very interesting. 47 people have looked at this and not a single republican has risen to answer what ought to be very simple questions. Anyone supporting the tax cuts should find this really easy.
Most fiscal conservatives plan to be rich in the near future so lower taxes now and they won't have to give up their loot when they make the top brackets, and once you're rich you don't need most of the programs tax dollars pay for anyway. Also, richer rich people means better vicarious living for poorer poor people, that's compassionate conservatism.
All governments need capital. Yours has been running a deficit since 2000. That means your government isn't collecting enough money to pay the bills.

And now they want to reduce the income more.

You know you've just kissed goodbye to your health care. Now they're talking about your pensions. You know, older folks had pensions as a pay benefit. They could add to it because banks gave savers something called interest. My parents spent 6 weeks in Hawaii every winter, mom went back to England most Springs, and somewhere exotic in the Autumn. They were just ordinary folks, and were penny wise when they were young, but they retired well. Could you? If you or your parents became Ill or suffered an accident would you have to sell the house, as opposed to inherit it?

And you can expect taxes and fees eg passports etc to rise. Not just federal, but states too because the feds will have less cash to dole out. This will hurt. But the Walmartian's need that 17th house.
If Trump's intent is to give America a pay rise, why not raise minimum wage significantly. People spending will be good for business, won't increase the national debt, and guarantee money does get to workers, as opposed to shareholders
That is the question, isn't it? I am astonished that some people actually believe that the poor and middle classes will get a break from this. Even the republican congressmen I have seen are not spinning it that way.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Godstud did you ever have to go through any of […]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]

It's the Elite of the USA that is "jealous&q[…]