There Never Was a Real Tulip Fever - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Smithsonian wrote:
There Never Was a Real Tulip Fever

A new movie sets its doomed entrepreneurs amidst 17th-century “tulipmania”—but historians of the phenomenon have their own bubble to burst

When tulips came to the Netherlands, all the world went mad. A sailor who mistook a rare tulip bulb for an onion and ate it with his herring sandwich was charged with a felony and thrown in prison. A bulb named Semper Augustus, notable for its flame-like white and red petals, sold for more than the cost of a mansion in a fashionable Amsterdam neighborhood, complete with coach and garden. As the tulip market grew, speculation exploded, with traders offering exorbitant prices for bulbs that had yet to flower. And then, as any financial bubble will do, the tulip market imploded, sending traders of all incomes into ruin.

For decades, economists have pointed to 17th-century tulipmania as a warning about the perils of the free market. Writers and historians have reveled in the absurdity of the event. The incident even provides the backdrop for the new film Tulip Fever, based on a novel of the same name by Deborah Moggach.

The only problem: none of these stories are true.

What really happened and how did the story of Dutch tulip speculation get so distorted? Anne Goldgar discovered the historical reality when she dug into the archives to research her book, Tulipmania: Money, Honor, and Knowledge in the Dutch Golden Age.

“I always joke that the book should be called ‘Tulipmania: More Boring Than You Thought,’” says Goldgar, a professor of early modern history at King’s College London. “People are so interested in this incident because they think they can draw lessons from it. I don’t think that’s necessarily the case.”

But before you even attempt to apply what happened in the Netherlands to more recent bubbles—the South Sea Bubble in 1700s England, the 19th-century railway bubble, the dot-com bubble and bitcoin are just a few comparisons Goldgar has seen—you have to understand Dutch society at the turn of the 17th century.

For starters, the country experienced a major demographic shift during its war for independence from Spain, which began in the 1560s and continued into the 1600s. It was during this period that merchants arrived in port cities like Amsterdam, Haarlem and Delft and established trading outfits, including the famous Dutch East India Company. This explosion in international commerce brought enormous fortune to the Netherlands, despite the war. In their newly independent nation, the Dutch were mainly led by urban oligarchies comprised of wealthy merchants, unlike other European countries of the era, which were controlled by landed nobility. As Goldgar writes in her book, “The resultant new faces, new money and new ideas helped to revolutionize the Dutch economy in the late 16th century.”

As the economy changed, so, too, did social interactions and cultural values. A growing interest in natural history and a fascination with the exotic among the merchant class meant that goods from the Ottoman Empire and farther east fetched high prices. The influx of these goods also drove men of all social classes to acquire expertise in newly in-demand areas. One example Goldgar gives is fish auctioneer Adriaen Coenen, whose watercolor-illustrated manuscript Whale Book allowed him to actually meet the President of Holland. And when Dutch botanist Carolus Clusius established a botanical garden at the University of Leiden in the 1590s, the tulip quickly rose to a place of honor.

Originally found growing wild in the valleys of the Tien Shan Mountains (at the border where China and Tibet meet Afghanistan and Russia), tulips were cultivated in Istanbul as early as 1055. By the 15th century, Sultan Mehmed II of the Ottoman Empire had so many flowers in his 12 gardens that he required a staff of 920 gardeners. Tulips were among the most prized flowers, eventually becoming a symbol of the Ottomans, writes gardening correspondent for The Independent Anna Pavord in The Tulip.

The Dutch learned that tulips could be grown from seeds or buds that grew on the mother bulb; a bulb that grows from seed would take 7 to 12 years before flowering, but a bulb itself could flower the very next year. Of particular interest to Clusius and other tulip traders were “broken bulbs”—tulips whose petals showed a striped, multicolor pattern rather than a single solid color. The effect was unpredictable, but the growing demand for these rare, “broken bulb” tulips led naturalists to study ways to reproduce them. (The pattern was later discovered to be the result of a mosaic virus that actually makes the bulbs sickly and less likely to reproduce.) “The high market price for tulips to which the current version of tulipmania refers were prices for particularly beautiful broken bulbs,” writes economist Peter Garber. “Since breaking was unpredictable, some have characterized tulipmania among growers as a gamble, with growers vying to produce better and more bizarre variegations and feathering.”

After all the money Dutch speculators spent on the bulbs, they only produced flowers for about a week—but for tulip lovers, that week was a glorious one. “As luxury objects, tulips fit well into a culture of both abundant capital and new cosmopolitanism,” Goldgar writes. Tulips required expertise, an appreciation of beauty and the exotic, and, of course, an abundance of money.

Here’s where the myth comes into play. According to popular legend, the tulip craze took hold of all levels of Dutch society in the 1630s. “The rage among the Dutch to possess them was so great that the ordinary industry of the country was neglected, and the population, even to its lowest dregs, embarked in the tulip trade,” wrote Scottish journalist Charles Mackay in his popular 1841 work Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. According to this narrative, everyone from the wealthiest merchants to the poorest chimney sweeps jumped into the tulip fray, buying bulbs at high prices and selling them for even more. Companies formed just to deal with the tulip trade, which reached a fever pitch in late 1636. But by February 1637, the bottom fell out of the market. More and more people defaulted on their agreement to buy the tulips at the prices they’d promised, and the traders who had already made their payments were left in debt or bankrupted. At least that’s what has always been claimed.

In fact, “There weren’t that many people involved and the economic repercussions were pretty minor,” Goldgar says. “I couldn’t find anybody that went bankrupt. If there had been really a wholesale destruction of the economy as the myth suggests, that would’ve been a much harder thing to face.”

That’s not to say that everything about the story is wrong; merchants really did engage in a frantic tulip trade, and they paid incredibly high prices for some bulbs. And when a number of buyers announced they couldn’t pay the high price previously agreed upon, the market did fall apart and cause a small crisis—but only because it undermined social expectations.

“In this case it was very difficult to deal with the fact that almost all of your relationships are based on trust, and people said, ‘I don’t care that I said I’m going to buy this thing, I don’t want it anymore and I’m not going to pay for it.’ There was really no mechanism to make people pay because the courts were unwilling to get involved,” Goldgar says.

But the trade didn’t affect all levels of society, and it didn’t cause the collapse of industry in Amsterdam and elsewhere. As Garber, the economist, writes, “While the lack of data precludes a solid conclusion, the results of the study indicate that the bulb speculation was not obvious madness.”

So if tulipmania wasn’t actually a calamity, why was it made out to be one? We have tetchy Christian moralists to blame for that. With great wealth comes great social anxiety, or as historian Simon Schama writes in The Embarrassment of Riches: An Interpretation of Dutch Culture in the Golden Age, “The prodigious quality of their success went to their heads, but it also made them a bit queasy.” All the outlandish stories of economic ruin, of an innocent sailor thrown in prison for eating a tulip bulb, of chimney sweeps wading into the market in hopes of striking it rich—those come from propaganda pamphlets published by Dutch Calvinists worried that the tulip-propelled consumerism boom would lead to societal decay. Their insistence that such great wealth was ungodly has even stayed with us to this day.

“Some of the stuff hasn’t lasted, like the idea that God punishes people who are overreaching by causing them to have the plague. That’s one of the things people said in the 1630s,” Goldgar says. “But the idea that you get punished if you overreach? You still hear that. It’s all, ‘pride goes before the fall.’”

Goldgar doesn’t begrudge novelists and filmmakers for taking liberties with the past. It’s only when historians and economists neglect to do their research that she gets irked. She herself didn’t set out to be a mythbuster—she only stumbled upon the truth when she sat down to look through old documentation of the popular legend. “I had no way of knowing this existed before I started reading these documents,” Goldgar says. “That was an unexpected treasure.”

There goes another popular myth. Of course, the article's headline is not accurate either, as the quote I highlighted shows. The only constant is that humans seemingly can't help exaggerating and being more certain than they should be.
I'm not surprised the Dutch have fabricated this story about themselves. They continue to demonstrate the need for a wall to be built around the land and sea borders of the Netherlands, and for all air traffic to and from the country to be banned in perpetuity.
...But there was a bubble and it did burst. Perhaps not as feverish to effect all classes of society, but when I read up on the subject some years ago, I believe some did go bankrupt over it.

Nonetheless I was more interested on your comment about bit-coins. To me, they too are something that has a fever to them. They have no reserve to them or any fallback at all; and have no true value but confidence that seems to be thrust upon it. They are nothing more than rewards for computer equation solving - and that is it. So why do they have such a high value? The short answer is the same as the Tulips, speculation and the illusion of worth. Because it is digital (and we are likely to be trading in digital currencies in the future), people want to be part of it. But they are completely worthless. They hold no value what-so-ever. They are not tied to a central bank or a physical commodity. Because of this, the bit-coin bubble will burst - I am certain of it. And when it does, the only people it will effect are the people who hold them.

I suppose what I am saying is that when bit-coins crash it will be a big news event, but like the tulips, it will not effect many people or destroy any nations economy. But it still should be a warning for people to learn about not overvaluing things by speculation.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:@B0ycey, who are you talking to re bitcoins?

Apologies, it was a reference in your article and for some reason I thought you mentioned it too.

Nonetheless it does appear that we (humans) have a tendency to speculate on value rather than appreciate true value. Like all bubbles of artificial worth, it is a question of when the bubble bursts not if.

So perhaps what I am trying to say here is there was a tulip fever but it only effected people who had the means to speculate financially and those who over speculated got hit the hardest. The people who couldn't afford to speculate were fortunately spared the fever.
Fads like this are money vacuums. They suck up excess capital and give the wealthy something to putz around with.

Interesting story K. I remember studying this in school. Another cherished myth bites the dust. And of course because....Dutch.
B0ycey wrote:Apologies, it was a reference in your article and for some reason I thought you mentioned it too.

Nonetheless it does appear that we (humans) have a tendency to speculate on value rather than appreciate true value. Like all bubbles of artificial worth, it is a question of when the bubble bursts not if.

So perhaps what I am trying to say here is there was a tulip fever but it only effected people who had the means to speculate financially and those who over speculated got hit the hardest. The people who couldn't afford to speculate were fortunately spared the fever.

All value is artificial because without a human eye to desire and appraise there is no value at all, value is always subjective.

Most bubbles are indeed harmless but where they become problematic is when the bubble is over a basic necessity which all must consume on some level. I am thinking here of real estate bubbles. Inflated housing prices from amateur speculators over-bidding on property causes bubbles which no one can escape through not taking part as we all must live somewhere. In UK adjusting for currency depreciation real estate prices are over 4x historically normal prices.

(this graph is not adjusted for currency depreciation)

When that bubble pops recent buyers are going to get financially slaughtered.

----

A deeper cause of bubbles than amateur speculation is currency depreciation, because when money leaks value over time people look to spend it rashly on something that doesn't appear to leak value, such as tulips or bitcoins or indeed real estate in order to preserve the value of their assets, this rash buying triggers in the context of currency depreciation strong price rises which in turn fuels the belief that the asset is a "good investment" encouraging even more imprudent buying.
B0ycey wrote:
Apologies, it was a reference in your article and for some reason I thought you mentioned it too.

No worries, I was just wondering if you wanted to address somebody else and had forgotten to tag them.

As with the tulip fever, those that can financially afford to lose are the first to engage in speculation although under certain circumstances this can spread. As far as I can tell, major housing bubbles almost always involve commercial developers overextending themselves while normal people tend to be more risk averse and don't get the necessary credit to engage in speculation on the same scale. The only exception I'm aware of regarding housing bubbles is the subprime mortgage crisis in the US where the government incentivized lending to people who couldn't afford it. In contrast, in Ireland and Spain it was for the most part developers who exploited the favourable conditions created by the eurozone/ECB and the absence of corrective policies in the two countries.

I think for the average person to get involved and for it to have a substantial effect, there must be an unmet need and/or wrong incentives by the authorities. The worst example I know are the pyramid schemes in Albania after the fall of the iron curtain were apparently two thirds of the population was affected.
Sorry for the double post.

Re bitcoin, CME have apparently announced that they are planning to introduce bitcoin futures. Interesting development I think and certainly a boost for bitcoin.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Sorry for the double post.

Re bitcoin, CME have apparently announced that they are planning to introduce bitcoin futures. Interesting development I think and certainly a boost for bitcoin.

You need to do a new topic on this.

Perhaps CME will be trading in Mario Kart coins next year. Bitcoins are a toxic asset. They have no foundation to them. There worth is soley due to interest of the unknown. It is a fade, not a currency. There is no IOU element to them so miners make money with no physical commodity. I can't stress how bad a move this is. The next financial crash will be down to this. I only hope everyone doesn't jump on the wagon so only CME suffer.
I can't split topics in this subforum and I'm taking my own thread off topic anyway. :D

At the current exchange rate the total value of bitcoins is $110 billion. That's nothing and you certainly should not worry about bitcoin causing a financial crisis. There's much more to worry about the unprecedented balance sheet expansion of central banks, the increase in overall debt due to the 2007 financial crisis and the potential bond bubble. Central banks are in completely unchartered territory today. That's something that should be of concern, not bitcoins whose value in the grand scheme of things is just a blip.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:
At the current exchange rate the total value of bitcoins is $110 billion. That's nothing and you certainly should not worry about bitcoin causing a financial crisis.

You're joking right. If Wall Street start betting on Bitcoin, do you think the price will remain steady? This bubble has much room to grow. What is $110bn now could easily be $2tn next year. And that's the problem. It will be $2tn on nothing. Perhaps you should read up on the tulip fever again. The similarities to this are staggering. The only difference is now Wall Street are getting involved. How did the US property market go in 2008 by the way?
I'm obviously not joking. There is room for a bubble to grow in pretty much everything. Unless governments start incentivising investment in bitcoins, something which is extremely unlikely, there is no similarity to the US housing bubble, and if it's like the tulip bubble then, if we go by the article, it won't lead to a financial crash or crisis that materially affects the average person.
The financial markets have a track record of investing in worthless junk and then giving it a 'AAA' rating. That's ultimately what led to the financial crash of 2007/8. The low-level brokers know it's junk but are only interesting in chasing those big fat bonuses, and their bosses are dinosaurs from a bygone era who don't understand modern financial instruments and are therefore unfit to properly supervise their underlings' jolly japes. In my opinion, B0ycey is right to be concerned about possible future developments with this 'Bitcoin' nonsense.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I'm obviously not joking. There is room for a bubble to grow in pretty much everything. Unless governments start incentivising investment in bitcoins, something which is extremely unlikely, there is no similarity to the US housing bubble, and if it's like the tulip bubble then, if we go by the article, it won't lead to a financial crash or crisis that materially affects the average person.

Right, bitcoins are worthless. They have no reserve, no central bank, no linking to a commodity. The miners are not digging for oil. They dig up data. If you don't see this, you are as blind as the backers of bitcoin. Government's (and banks) will only get stung by this bubble bursting if they have invested in Bitcoin. This move by CME has set the foundation's for this to occur. So now Bitcoin will only go up in price. Because of this Wall street will also likely buy into this toxic asset. So yes you are right, it will be nothing like the US housing bubble. It will be worse. At least land is worth something. Wall Street will be left with nothing. And can government's keep on baling out the banks?
Bitcoin is actually a great concept. If you like cash you should also like bitcoin.

B0ycey wrote:Right, bitcoins are worthless. They have no reserve, no central bank, no linking to a commodity. The miners are not digging for oil. They dig up data. If you don't see this, you are as blind as the backers of bitcoin. Government's (and banks) will only get stung by this bubble bursting if they have invested in Bitcoin. This move by CME has set the foundation's for this to occur. So now Bitcoin will only go up in price. Because of this Wall street will also likely buy into this toxic asset. So yes you are right, it will be nothing like the US housing bubble. It will be worse. At least land is worth something. Wall Street will be left with nothing. And can government's keep on baling out the banks?

I will take note once governments or banks are actually exposed to potential losses from bitcoin. This is a non-issue.

Potemkin wrote:The financial markets have a track record of investing in worthless junk and then giving it a 'AAA' rating. That's ultimately what led to the financial crash of 2007/8. The low-level brokers know it's junk but are only interesting in chasing those big fat bonuses, and their bosses are dinosaurs from a bygone era who don't understand modern financial instruments and are therefore unfit to properly supervise their underlings' jolly japes. In my opinion, B0ycey is right to be concerned about possible future developments with this 'Bitcoin' nonsense.

They usually do so if they think they have explicit or implicit backing by governments and/or if governments encourage this behaviour in some way. See the eurozone debt crisis and the housing bubbles in Spain and Ireland. It's also true for the US housing bubble - there were incentives to lend to borrowers who couldn't afford it and an implicit guarantee by the US government.
Last edited by Kaiserschmarrn on 01 Nov 2017 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Bitcoin is actually a great concept. If you like cash you should also like bitcoin.

Bitcoins are a great concept if set up by a federal (global) bank. In fact, they are such a good concept that I predict digital currency will be the future. And I suspect that is why there is interest in them today. But until you understand that a currency is actually an IOU and not a trading chip, I can understand why you don't see the dangers in this.
Last edited by B0ycey on 01 Nov 2017 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
Bitcoin is actually a great concept. If you like cash you should also like bitcoin.

Bitcoins are useless as a currency. They're not even useful to criminals, since a record of every transaction using Bitcoins is recorded and retained essentially forever. In the long term, just like tulip bulbs, they are worth nothing. In the short term, people will speculate in them in the hope of getting rich for doing nothing and contributing nothing to the economy. This intense speculation in an ultimately worthless commodity is known as a 'bubble'. If the bubble gets too big before it bursts, this can affect the 'real' economy.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:
I will take note once governments or banks are actually exposed to potential losses from bitcoin. This is a non-issue.

Did you take note of the US property market exposure to governments in 2008 by the way? Some dangers are not noticeable until it is too late. This will be one of them I am sure.

@FiveofSwords Also, don't get too hung up on g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]