There Never Was a Real Tulip Fever - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:All your claim comes down to is that there is a possibility for the financial system to be exposed to bitcoin to the extent that it would lead to a crash or crisis. I responded by telling you that I will take note if there ever is such an exposure. As far as I can tell from your posts, you admit that there isn't any exposure today that could cause anything approaching an event that could destabilise the financial system. We differ in our judgements about how likely it is that this is going to happen. You seem to think it's almost certain, although you have not given any evidence or reasons for this believe, while I think it's very unlikely unless there is a turnaround in perception by experts, banks and governments.

So in summary, your argument seems to be that because there is a possibility for bitcoin to be problematic in the future, bitcoin will be problematic in the future. That's really weak and poor reasoning.

Correct, I dont think there is any danger today. There is if people start betting on Bitcoin. CME are making an unwise move that could easily bring in another economic crash. The danger is how much confident people place on Bitcoin. Traders and investors are unlikely to sit on their hands. They didn't when creating toxic loans and they won't on toxic tokens. I hope I'm wrong. But traders do like to bet on illusions or figures that look good on paper. Have they learnt their lesson from 2008? I doubt it. So yes. I maintain there is a danger.
Rugoz wrote:Blockchain is interesting technology.

I can see a future where personal data (e.g. social media) is on the blockchain and people get money for making that data available to others (because they own it instead of Facebook, Google and co.). It's potentially disruptive.

Blockchain is not 100% safe though, an attacker with a majority of computing power can corrupt the chain.

Blockchains will also be used for future currencies too (I predict). But it won't be Nakamotos creation. It will be part of a nations currency with its assets as a reserve. Something Bitcoins don't hold.
There are also plans to use blockchain for transaction processing and settlement. From my reading the blockchain architecture for this type of data is probably going to be different to bitcoin with respect to anonymity of network nodes as the verification process would take too long otherwise, and today at it least makes a network more vulnerable to attacks too. Anonymity in the network is an attractive property though, as anybody can participate.

B0cey wrote:Correct, I dont think there is any danger today. There is if people start betting on Bitcoin. CME are making an unwise move that could easily bring in another economic crash. The danger is how much confident people place on Bitcoin. Traders and investors are unlikely to sit on their hands. They didn't when creating toxic loans and they won't on toxic tokens. I hope I'm wrong. But traders do like to bet on illusions or figures that look good on paper. Have they learnt their lesson from 2008? I doubt it. So yes. I maintain there is a danger.

Again, note that subprime loans were encouraged by the government and that mortgage backed securities based on these loans were regarded as safe and attractive by everybody, and especially governments. This is not true today for bitcoin. In fact, it's the complete opposite, a big difference which matters.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@late If you enter a country, without permission[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]

When the guy is selling old, debunked, Russian pro[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]