If the poor get poorer why do they have more stuff than ever before? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
One Degree wrote:Then explain why I think my standard of living is comfortable and normal, but the government says I am poor.
When is the last time you went to Hawaii, or had a real vacation? Could you go on an extended vacation or is it beyond your means? There is a lot more to being poor than simply material possessions. There is the ability to do what one wants, to a certain extent and not be overly stressed.
Godstud wrote:When is the last time you went to Hawaii, or had a real vacation? Could you go on an extended vacation or is it beyond your means? There is a lot more to being poor than simply material possessions. There is the ability to do what one wants, to a certain extent and not be overly stressed.

You think the poor should afford Hawaii vacations? I don’t even want to imagine your fantasy world where that seems reasonable. Lol.
Godstud wrote:When is the last time you went to Hawaii, or had a real vacation? Could you go on an extended vacation or is it beyond your means? There is a lot more to being poor than simply material possessions. There is the ability to do what one wants, to a certain extent and not be overly stressed.

Not going to Hawaii on vacation is hardly a sign of poverty. Well-to-do folks today are much better travelled than Julius Caesar or Alexander the Great. The poor who have welfare and aren't mentally ill or addicted generally have a more comfortable life than middle income people 50 years ago. Of course, they are encouraged by atheists to covet their neighbors goods and poison their good fortune with resentment and envy.
Being able to go on a vacation is a luxury afforded people who are not poor. Being poor means pretty much not being to accrue any savings of any amount.

You comment about atheists only shows an absurd amount of ignorance and arrogance. It's laughable. :lol:
Last edited by Godstud on 18 Dec 2018 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Godstud wrote:What I am saying is that if you are poor, the idea of a vacation is beyond you. Obviously, the government calling you poor is an appropriate label.

Based on that criterion, probably more than 90% of America is poor.
Most people who are not poor, can afford vacations, or can save money. I doubt 90% of Americans fit into this category, unless you are saying that America is poor as shit, and American exceptionalism is a bullshit myth... Is that what you're saying?
Godstud wrote:Most people who are not poor, can afford vacations, or can save money. I doubt 90% of Americans fit into this category, unless you are saying that America is poor as shit, and American exceptionalism is a bullshit myth... Is that what you're saying?

I doubt 10% of Americans have taken a Hawaiian vacation. Poor people take vacations. They just stay with relatives or friends.
Godstud wrote::lol: Staying with relatives is NOT a vacation! :lol:

As I said before, poor people cannot collect any substantial amount of savings for a vacation, which is norm for most Americas, Brits, Canadians, Aussies, etc.

You do know the richer you are, the fewer friends you claim. Poor people use person to person contact as entertainment, so staying with relatives is a vacation. Your idea of fun and their idea of fun is not usually the same. You make your own fun when you have no money. Imo, it is closer to real enjoyment than paying someone to entertain you.
One degree wrote: You do know the richer you are, the fewer friends you claim.
I do not believe this to be true. Poor or rich people usually have the same amount of friends. Rich people just tend to have more acquaintances.

One Degree wrote:Poor people use person to person contact as entertainment
So do rich people. Socializing is a common pass-time and form of entertainment for most humans.

One Degree wrote:You make your own fun when you have no money.
Very often, when rich/well off, you do the same. Your idea of how the better class of people live seems a bit out of whack with reality.
Godstud wrote:I do not believe this to be true. Poor or rich people usually have the same amount of friends. Rich people just tend to have more acquaintances.

So do rich people. Socializing is a common pass-time and form of entertainment for most humans.

Very often, when rich/well off, you do the same. Your idea of how the better class of people live seems a bit out of whack with reality.

Believe what you want. I just remember reading studies years ago that say education and wealth decrease number of friendships. Anyone who has lived in both environments realizes the truth of this. You seldom see 10 people on the front porch of a wealthy person’s house, but it is a common site in poor neighborhoods.
I've lived both, and I do not find it to be true. I suppose when you are rich you find out who your REAL friends are... so maybe that's just the difference that they fail to account for.

Having a good education does NOT decrease the number of friends you have. Please provide a source for this ridiculous claim.

One degree wrote:You seldom see 10 people on the front porch of a wealthy person’s house, but it is a common site in poor neighborhoods.
No, the rich person would have them inside his house, or around his pool. :lol:
B0ycey wrote:Because the Western poor are not poor. They are given welfare which makes them richer than most working residence in the third world.

Truth.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Two comments:

1. Poor is a relative term.

2. It is not about how much stuff you have, but how well you can manipulate social situations with your wealth. The poor cannot do this even if they have a second hand LCD TV.

What a bunch of Marxist hogwash.

That would be like saying that someone with a billion dollars who was subsequently excluded from being to able to manipulate social conditions, was not actually wealthy at all.

Such an idea is an affront to the common-sense of most normal people.

If you possess a pile of Gold the size of your house in your back yard, and can purchase what you want for your own consumption as long as you live, you are wealthy. Full-Stop.

Sivad wrote:It is absolutely about how much stuff you have, that's all it's about. Poverty is lack of wealth(material resources), that's all it is.

Correct.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

As an aside, I remember a specific conversation between my father, my brother, and myself during my time living in the inner-city:

As a backdrop: my father was raised by his grandparents who were second generation Americans born of German-Irish and Slovakian immigrants. My dad's Pap was born around 1905 and was taken out of school in 3rd grade to work in the Pennsylvania Coal Mines, he taught himself to read, married, and settled down during the great depression. They were devout Christians who worked for everything, eschewed hand-outs, and did what it took to make things work. My gram, in spite of being a housewife most of the time, often worked a shift at the local Cigar Factory on the side AS WELL in order to make ends meet. In spite of being poor, they kept their home immaculately clean, their house in good repair, and lawn well trimmed. They aspired to be well-dressed, even though the young girls had their dresses made from old potato sacks and they were always welcoming hosts even if they served you on old soap plates that came free every time you bought a new bar. They were law abiding, hard-working, moral, and hated laziness more than any other thing. They lived through the depression and in their opinion there was little excuse for living on welfare.

SO: with this backdrop in mind, my brother and I were riding with my dad through a well-known low-income neighborhood in Pittsburgh, called Wilkinsburg.

As we drive, my dad scoffs at all the garbage in the streets, dilapidated (but habitated) houses, and teenagers roaming around with iphones just dropping their depleted cheetoes bags into the streets.

Windows of habitated homes are barred and every door has a steel security door on it.

In response to this, my leftist brother remarks: "The reason they are like this dad, is because they are poor."

Boy did shit hit the fan when he said that.

My father remarked in a solemn and chastising tone:

"You couldn't get poorer than my Pap and Gram and they didn't throw garbage in their yards and let their homes go to ruin, they didn't steal from others and they certainly didn't take handouts, this isn't a problem with money, this is a problem of values."

These well-dressed inner-city blacks have plenty of material luxuries and because they have little need to earn (over several generations now); they have lost the concept of self-respect along with the loss of their family structure and the loss of common decency. This of course, is no longer a black problem, white trash have begun to follow this same pattern.

"Why get married when we can collect more welfare without marriage?"

I literally heard my cousin say this to my wife when she asked her when she was planning to marry her boyfriend (with whom she already had a kid.) This is the same logic that killed the black family starting in the 1960s.

hard work and moral values prosper in a state of necessity and as soon as church lost its moral authority and yielded it to the state (which was all too willing to accept the role of "charity") the necessity for values, honor, and hard-work ceased.

We now have the "poorest" class in the United States being one which also has the highest rate of obesity.

Calling these people "poor" is not only an insult to my Pap and Gram, its an insult to sub-saharan refugees and impoverished kids digging through trash piles for their next meal in the subcontinent.

Its absurd and my dad was right to knock that bull-shit down.

Our poor are not poor, not really.

They have their material needs taken care of and they are incentivized to pursue decadent lifestyles. With the values of hard-work and family eliminated, all is left for them is crime and a disregard for persons and property. That is why the ghetto looks like it does and why the working class neighborhoods of my depression-era forebears were both clean and safe.
Last edited by Victoribus Spolia on 18 Dec 2018 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:What a bunch of Marxist hogwash.

That would be like saying that someone with a billion dollars who was subsequently excluded from being to able to manipulate social conditions, was not actually wealthy at all.

Such an idea is an affront to the common-sense of most normal people.

If you possess a pile of Gold the size of your house in your back yard, and can purchase what you want for your own consumption as long as you live, you are wealthy. Full-Stop.

It is more complicated than that.

Having a giant pile if gold is only wealth if certain conditions apply: specifically you have to live in a society that values gold and is willing to trade goods and services for the gold.

The key point here is that you can use this gold as leverage to so what you want.
Pants-of-dog wrote:It is more complicated than that.

Having a giant pile if gold is only wealth if certain conditions apply: specifically you have to live in a society that values gold and is willing to trade goods and services for the gold.

The key point here is that you can use this gold as leverage to so what you want.

If a person has a billion dollars worth of gold, but is prohibited from participating in government and is only permitted to purchase items that will fit in his mansion on his personal island (thus preventing him from being able to actually affect the social condition of society); would he still be wealthy under your definitions?

Yes or No?
SolarCross wrote:They are poor in a way but it is a spiritual poverty not a material one.

Agreed.

Likewise, my impoverished ancestors were appreciative of what they did have while simultaneously striving for better; whereas now, the "poor" do not appreciate what they have (as seen by how they take care of it) and do not strive for better.

Its disgusting.

It like when a kid has too many toys, he lets them lay around, steps on them rather than pick them up, and will often damage them with rough play when bored.

Now take a kid with one toy, only one. He cherishes it and does not allow it to get damaged or soiled. He appreciates it.

Our poor live in a throw-away culture with many of their material possessions simply given to them. There is no appreciation or respect for their homes, streets, etc. and they relish in this while bitching about it out of the corner of their mouths.

I can't stand it.
SolarCross wrote:They are poor in a way but it is a spiritual poverty not a material one.

I agree with the sentiment but not the choice of ‘spiritual’. Their only ‘poverty’ is having more wants than they can provide for themselves. Poverty is not meeting needs, not wants. It can not include wants because wants are unlimited and therefore you can not define the poverty. For example, Godstud gave the example you are poor if you can’t afford a Hawaiian vacation. This is ridiculous.
Wants are determined and satisfied by the individuals thoughts. We are free not to want and therefore it is not under society’s purview, but our own.
If basic material needs are met, you are not poor.
Victoribus Spolia wrote:If a person has a billion dollars worth of gold, but is prohibited from participating in government and is only permitted to purchase items that will fit in his mansion on his personal island (thus preventing him from being able to actually affect the social condition of society); would he still be wealthy under your definitions?

Yes or No?

If he is buying stuff, he is still making an impact.

Mind you, this impact is significantly less than the impact he could enjoy if his spending was not limited.

So if we look at poverty as a spectrum, he is far less wealthy than he would otherwise be.

Now, I also mentioned vulnerability to economic exploitation as a criterion.

Since our hypothetical island billionaire is financially secure, he is not poor.

At best, you could say thst he, like the poor, has trouble using his wealth to improve hus situation.
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]

Now the argument seems to be changing and words by[…]

You're funny. https://www.amazon.co[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]