FaceBook's CryptoCurrency, Libra, Set to Launch with 27 Corporate Partners - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
The corporate partners include big names like Visa and Mastercard.

https://www.ft.com/content/aa97ad20-91a ... 9df1c62544

This article argues that Libra's success would disempower central banks in developing countries or those with weaker economies, as more people using Libra (which could be transferred freely and electronically) means less people using the local currency, which essentially takes power away from those countries' central banks and deposits that power with the Libra foundation.

While this is interesting, here's what I personally wonder. Obviously, the first step a country would take is to try and ban its citizens from using Libra. Second, this would potentially mean banning them from using things like Visa, Uber and so-on if those things use Libra. Third, either Libra fails to work internationally (as non-Libra versions of services are created) or else countries need to essentially sanction all Libra-friendly economic services. This would severely disrupt the world economy.

A less disturbing situation is that since Libra will be pegged to currencies like the US dollar and the Euro, the Libra essentially passes some control of western monetary policy away from government central banks (which are theoretically under the control of the people) and into the hands of private corporations. It'd be like living in a cyberpunk story or something. The potential for regulatory capture is of course huge.

I'm honestly amazed by the power grab that is being attempted here.

an era when Europeans were more educated and inte[…]

I was quite explicit that the words are not by the[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The Israeli government could have simply told UNRW[…]