Development of a Desert - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
It's easy to develop (make) a desert. It is very hard to turn a desert back into arable land. There are semi-arid lands that can be recovered by planting trees and conservation farming. To turn a real desert into arable land is too resource-intensive and for the most part not sustainable.
Atlantis wrote:It's easy to develop (make) a desert. It is very hard to turn a desert back into arable land. There are semi-arid lands that can be recovered by planting trees and conservation farming. To turn a real desert into arable land is too resource-intensive and for the most part not sustainable.

It's actually pretty easy if you use pioneer plants and other permaculture techniques. Oasises in the Middle East are often man-made and people have been growing food forests in Morocco for centuries.

It just takes a long time.
By Rancid
Hell yea, let's turn all of the worlds deserts into lush forests!

I recently learned the deserts tend to form in sub-tropics, and not in the tropics. This is because the tropics "rob" all of the water from the sub-tropics.
Rancid wrote:Hell yea, let's turn all of the worlds deserts into lush forests!

Syria or the Levant first!

I recently learned the deserts tend to form in sub-tropics, and not in the tropics. This is because the tropics "rob" all of the water from the sub-tropics.

That begs the question, what will happen to those tropical areas if we get rid of all deserts?
By Rancid
Palmyrene wrote:That begs the question, what will happen to those tropical areas if we get rid of all deserts?

Very good question.
By DACBT
Atlantis wrote:It's easy to develop (make) a desert. It is very hard to turn a desert back into arable land. There are semi-arid lands that can be recovered by planting trees and conservation farming. To turn a real desert into arable land is too resource-intensive and for the most part not sustainable.

What I really mean it's to develop the economy of a desert region, imagine the follow situation, 1000km2 of landlocked desert with nobody living there, what could you do to turn into a prosperous region?
DACBT wrote:What I really mean it's to develop the economy of a desert region, imagine the follow situation, 1000km2 of landlocked desert with nobody living there, what could you do to turn into a prosperous region?

Oil.
DACBT wrote:If there is no oil? Any chances?

Trade routes possibly. The Sahara was economically active due to that. But of course no actually lived there. Even the tribes were rather nomadic or pastoral instead of sedentary.

The only option other than this is greenifying it.
DACBT wrote:What I really mean it's to develop the economy of a desert region, imagine the follow situation, 1000km2 of landlocked desert with nobody living there, what could you do to turn into a prosperous region?

If you put enough resources into it, you could theoretically do anything you wanted, you could even build golf courses (or get the Donald to do it for you). The point I'm trying to make is that the negative impact of using up those resources (including green house gases, etc.) is bound to outweigh any positive effect, such as "greening the desert" and CO2 sequestration, etc.

On the other hand, there are vast tracks of land in precarious condition. In other words, land that once was fertile, or land that still has some fertility but is in danger of desertification, that can be improved by conservation farming, reforestation, etc., with a reasonable amount of resources. The Chinese are putting a lot of effort into this after having lost millions of hectares of fertile land under the "wise" leadership of the great leader.
Manufacturing - import raw materials then export more valuable finished goods

Tourism - if you can find some way to make the place attractive for a visit such as theme parks, gambling eg: Las Vegas

IT datacentres - if it is a cold desert like the Arctic

Solarcell farms - if it has good natural light (dry deserts have clear skies and equatorial regions get lots of light) Hard to make that into an export though unless you combine it with one of the above to lower their costs
SolarCross wrote:Manufacturing - import raw materials then export more valuable finished goods

Yeah you ain't gunna beat China there.

And you need alot of starter capital to begin manufacturing so the land you're starting your country in has to have lots of initial resources like China or oil like the UAE.

You're better off convincing people to start a revolution than start a new country from scratch.
By DACBT
I agree with @Palmyrene it's easier to start a revolution to start a country from scratch, but easier bomt means better. @SolarCross I think that the most viable source of income it's to focus on IT and tourism, and after a couple of generations and development, high technology products, because beat the Giants factories of low price products I don't see like a possibility,
DACBT wrote:I agree with @Palmyrene it's easier to start a revolution to start a country from scratch, but easier bomt means better. @SolarCross I think that the most viable source of income it's to focus on IT and tourism, and after a couple of generations and development, high technology products, because beat the Giants factories of low price products I don't see like a possibility,

You want cold temperatures for efficient data processing. The further north you go the better. Connectivity is an issue too. Your IT installations need to be connected with fat pipes to the rest of the world to be really useful.
By DACBT
SolarCross wrote:You want cold temperatures for efficient data processing. The further north you go the better. Connectivity is an issue too. Your IT installations need to be connected with fat pipes to the rest of the world to be really useful.

Silicon valley and silicon Wadi are not in cold regions, but the fact of the big pipes to be good connected to the rest of the world ( that need a lot of money to get it, and a lot of treaties with the neighbors countries) only leave the tourism like a viable option
DACBT wrote:Silicon valley and silicon Wadi are not in cold regions, but the fact of the big pipes to be good connected to the rest of the world ( that need a lot of money to get it, and a lot of treaties with the neighbors countries) only leave the tourism like a viable option

You need money for tourism and even then Dubai completely beats you there. Dubai even has a body of water next to it which means they can build resorts. You can't do that in Bir Tawil.

Honestly if there was anything of substance in Bir Tawil Egypt or Sudan would've taken it.
By DACBT
Palmyrene wrote:And shitloads of foreign aid.

Also a native population to genocide.

Do you talking about the Jews like foreign invaders, but it's not the discussion of this post, like a society, Jews know how to become that land into regional potential

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]