What Most non-MMT believers don't seem to understand is how MMT intends to control high inflation - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
What Most non-MMT believers don't seem to understand is how MMT intends to control inflation of over about 2%.
. . . Also, my proposed temporary alternate why to limit so called deficit spending so that it doesn't cause excess inflation.

[Before I go on let me just say; MMTers say that there has been room for more so called deficit spending [we need a new snappy name for this concept] in every nation for decades that would not have caused too much inflation and therefore there was [and now in the covid crisis] there is a *lot* of room for more so called deficit spending by every industrial or Western nation.]

As I understand MMTers plan there are 2 or 3 ways they intend to control inflation.
A] With their Nationally funded but locally controlled Job Guarantee Program to provide Transitory Employment for every worker for whom the private sector currently doesn't have a job, which I will talk about later.
B] By looking at the actual resources that will be needed. The US did this in WWII. When the Gov. (the Air Force) placed orders for airplanes, the Gov. had to think about was there aluminium enough being produced to make this many more planes. This is how the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) should think.
. . 1] MMTers are proposing that the CBO will have to learn how to estimate what resources each proposed spending bill will need someone to use, therefore to buy, and if someone is already using it then how can the Gov. get them to not use it.
. . 2] I can see where many non-MMT believers will see this as state planning, and therefore a *terrible* idea.
. . 3] Non-MMT believers want the market to control the distribution of everything. They believe the Mainstream economic theories that claim to have proven that the market is the most efficient way to do this. I wonder how many of them know the complete list of assumptions that was used to prove that conclusion? MMTers tell me that some of those assumptions are obviously false. One of those false assumptions is that the Market consists of one person who will live forever, and is selling the stuff to *himself*. For me, any conclusion proven with this assumption is B*ll Sh*t. Total BS.!!
. . . For me the claim is not proven and also doesn't seem to match up with the facts of economic history. For me, the facts of economic history are superior to any theory based on assumptions *even if* they were true. Economists claim that their conclusions are close enough [I say there is no evidence of this] to reality to be useful and anyway are based on simplifying assumptions that are necessary because the problem is just too complicated and must be simplified.
. . . Well, Math has improved since many of you studied it. It now has Chaos Theory, the Theory of Complexity, or the theory of non-linear problems. This was finally cracked when desktop computers became common. Long story short, to simplify a non-linear problem and make it linear just destroys the strange behavior of chaotic systems. An example most of you will not know about is that the orbits of the asteroids are not actually stable. You think they are stable because Newton simplified the problem and proved they were stable, But, the non-linear elements of the calculations can now be made easily on computers and they show us that over long time spans an asteroid can fall out of its orbit and fall into a new orbit nearer the sun. And it can happen suddenly.
. . . What I'm saying, with the analogy above, is that simplifying the problem is fine as long as you rigorously test your results against reality (which in economics is economic history). But, it is better to forget the simplifying assumptions and try to solve the problem on a computer. You may be surprised how easy it is now to do that. [Check out Steve Keen's computer program named “Minsky” for an example of one.]
. . 4] MMTers have proven that so called deficit spending is necessary to keep the economy humming along. They say that people want to save, so some people save some of their income. They say this reduces someone's income because the money saved was not spent in their store (for example). They say that MS economists are *flatly* wrong to claim that the savings are loaned out by the bank where it is deposited. So, we can discount their argument that saving is a “wash”. It isn't, and so it must be replaced to maintain incomes over time. MMTers say the best way for it to be replaced is by the US Gov. making so called deficit spending. This so called deficit spending can't be unlimited though. They say that this so called deficit spending should be spent so as to go to the workers 1st and then to the rich when they extract it from the workers. Therefore, QE is a bad idea, because it goes 1st to the rich.
. . 5] So, how should the so called deficit spending be limited? In #2 above I said many will not want to see a lot of state planing. I have some suggestions of a different way to limit it.
. . Basically, actual investment spending, JGP spending, and savings to be replaced should be the total of so called deficit spending.
. . . . a] All so called deficit spending by the Job Guarantee Program should be part of the allowed so called deficit spending This money does provide incomes to grow the GDP because it mostly only increases when corps. are laying off people.
. . . . b]All so spending on long term investments like repairing bridges should be part of the allowed so called deficit spending. This may very well include all healthcare spending on those aged 20 to 50 who are the nation's work force and so must be kept healthy.
. . . . c] All money that leaves the nation to buy stuff from other nations should be counted as part of the “savings to be replaced”. It is being saved or spent elsewhere.
. . . . d] All the money saved by Americans or American corps. should be counted as part of the “savings to be replaced”. It is being saved in America.
Therefore, the total of all 4 of these sorts of so called deficit spending is the amount of so called deficit spending to be allowed. This sets the limit.

Just so you know, many or most MMTers tell me I'm flatly wrong to propose this artificial limit on so called deficit spending. They want the state planing solution. I can see that some of this will also be a better why to do it, but just “some”.
. . . I'm proposing this as a perhaps temporary expedient to help Congress be able to pass budgets with large so called deficits. Maybe later a better way will be found.
. . . And remember, the US national debt is only the so called national debt. What it *really is* is the “total financial assets the Gov. has provided to the people to keep the economy humming.” [This phrase needs a snappy name.] As such it is stupid to pay it down, let alone pay it off, and there is no need to pay it down. Paying it down gains the nation nothing, *really*, nothing is gained. [This is because it has already been spent and it didn't cause too much inflation. So, it was already saved by someone.]
______________________________________ ___________________________________________

BTW ---
MMTers say that bond sales are *not* necessary to deficit spend. Many of them want the “bond” rate to be set at zero% and left there. I'm no expert and they are, so I'm likely wrong. However, I think a rate of 1% to 2% is fine and it shouldn't be changed to fine tune the economy. There needs to be some stable rate of interest so widows can live on their interest income.
. . . Therefore, the Fed. sells bonds at (say) 1.5% and if nobody buys them, fine. The Gov. can so called deficit spend directly into the economy.
I need to point out a huge semantic issue here, and that is exactly what we are talking about when we talk about "inflation".

Are we talking about the effect caused by the policies, or are we talking about the overall observable outcome?

The difference is like the difference between adding water into a clear cylinder, but at the same time seeing the water level in the cylinder go down (because some is leaking out at the bottom).
It is both true to say that water is being added, and true to say that the amount of water in the cylinder is being reduced.

So the same needs to be understood when we are talking about inflation.

MMT could still cause an inflationary effect without inflation being caused or visible.

And if that's the case, MMT policies could very well have a (seemingly) delayed inflationary effect. Because there are underlying cycles in the economy of temporary deflation during an downturn. This temporary deflation could conceal inflation, and then when that deflationary cycle finally ends, you'll end up finally seeing the inflation that was caused from before, but which you were not able to see then.
Puffer Fish wrote:I need to point out a huge semantic issue here, and that is exactly what we are talking about when we talk about "inflation".

Are we talking about the effect caused by the policies, or are we talking about the overall observable outcome?

The difference is like the difference between adding water into a clear cylinder, but at the same time seeing the water level in the cylinder go down (because some is leaking out at the bottom).
It is both true to say that water is being added, and true to say that the amount of water in the cylinder is being reduced.

So the same needs to be understood when we are talking about inflation.

MMT could still cause an inflationary effect without inflation being caused or visible.

And if that's the case, MMT policies could very well have a (seemingly) delayed inflationary effect. Because there are underlying cycles in the economy of temporary deflation during an downturn. This temporary deflation could conceal inflation, and then when that deflationary cycle finally ends, you'll end up finally seeing the inflation that was caused from before, but which you were not able to see then.

Without a real historical example of what you are talking about it just isn't convincing.
Just like if I said the people might be better off if the US Gov. gave everyone a UBI of 100K per year for the next 100 years. And I went on, "Sure there will be inflation but the people might be better off anyway."

Also, is there a historical example of deflation that caused hidden inflation to show up later.
Steve_American wrote:Without a real historical example of what you are talking about it just isn't convincing.

The issue is not one of not having a historical example to point to; it is the interpretation of those examples.

If you want an example, I believe the concept explains why the huge "quantitative easing" expansion of the money supply in the wake of the Recession did not end up causing observable inflation.

You just have a different explanation for this.

The issue is one of interpretation.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you are asking for a historical example. Do you mean some historical example where economists all agree that was the cause of what happened? It's not going to happen.

After every Recession we have seen this. Expansion of the money supply, very little apparent inflation, even though the money supply was being rapidly expanded by the Central Bank, and then finally later when the economy started to put on growth again, we see vigorous inflation.
Puffer Fish wrote:The issue is not one of not having a historical example to point to; it is the interpretation of those examples.
If you want an example, I believe the concept explains why the huge "quantitative easing" expansion of the money supply in the wake of the Recession did not end up causing observable inflation.
You just have a different explanation for this.
The issue is one of interpretation.
I have no idea what you are talking about when you are asking for a historical example. Do you mean some historical example where economists all agree that was the cause of what happened? It's not going to happen.
After every Recession we have seen this. Expansion of the money supply, very little apparent inflation, even though the money supply was being rapidly expanded by the Central Bank, and then finally later when the economy started to put on growth again, we see vigorous inflation.

You are right that we have different interpretations.
Yours are based on the Mainstream (MS) economic theory that is based on several false assumptions, like banks only loan out their depositors money and the market is just one man who is selling stuff to himself.
Mine is based on an economic theory that predicted that the EU would not have prosperity after the 1st crisis, which was true. MS econ. predicted the opposite. Other examples are: MMT predicted the GFC, MS econ. didn't; MMT predicted that Japan could have large deficits forever, MS econ. predicted disaster *soon* that has not happened in 28 years; and MMT predicted that Clinton's surpluses would lead to a recession and they did do that, MS econ. congratulated him for being wonderful.
. . . In fact, I have had a standing offer here and other econ. sites for 6 months for anyone to point out even one accurate prediction by several MS economists since 1990, and no one has been able to point to one accurate prediction.
A great article on just what MMT means by its Job Guarantee Program.

http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/? ... ment-68990

Bill had written above, "The problem is that the so-called ‘market” in its pure conceptual form is an amoral, ahistorical construct and cannot project the societal values that bind communities and peoples to higher order considerations."

My comment to that was ---
Steve_American on Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 16:17
Bill, a very well done and informative piece.
Bravo.
The only place I’d suggest changing it is to use the word “Imaginary” to describe the “market”and to go on and explain that it is conceived as “one man who will never die, who buys and sells to himself” as I have heard other MMTers & Mark Blyth describe it. Pound this point home.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]