Degrowth - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Herefordrob
Doughnut economics is a wake-up call to transform our capitalist worldview obsessed with growth into a more balanced, sustainable perspective that allows both humans and our planet to thrive.
By Puffer Fish
Um, you blame something caused by imposed government policies (whether necessary or not) on a "failure of capitalism"?

Haven't you read about those small businesses that have been forced out of business because they couldn't afford to sustain themselves while being shuttered?

Why, just the other day I was reading about a gym in Oregon whose owner said if they didn't reopen immediately they were going to have to go out of business. He opened anyway in defiance of the governor's order and the business was fined $90,000 as a result.
They won't be paying. It is going out of business like it was going to go out of business before. He apparently just wanted to make a statement before the inevitable happened.

With all these businesses, especially small businesses, that have been permanently driven out of business (by not being allowed to be open for an extended of time), a full economic recovery is not going to be easy, nor likely immediate.

Many of these businesses have had all the things that were inside their business thrown in the trash after they could no longer afford to continue paying rent to the building owner.
Some of their employees that they spent months training and investing in have now permanently switched to other jobs.
There's been some serious disruption.
By Puffer Fish
Herefordrob wrote:to transform our capitalist worldview obsessed with growth into a more balanced, sustainable perspective that allows both humans and our planet to thrive.

And I wonder exactly what would that be?
Soviet-style communism?

How about the "paradise" that the Chinese have created.

Sorry if I sound just a little bit skeptical and cynical.
By Puffer Fish
Herefordrob wrote:that allows both humans and our planet to thrive.

I hope this post doesn't get deleted by a mod

So the solution to that would probably be to start dumping more condoms and birth control pills onto Third World countries?

Maybe Bill Gates will even step up his charity and pay for more Abortions in Africa and Latin America?
By Skynet
Capitalism requires to grow to be able to pay credit back an a small interest rate. If an economy can not grow faster then interest rates the economy crash. Renewable Engergy gets thanks capitalism cheaper and cheaper.

USA should South America, Europe Africa in this transition to green energy support.
By Puffer Fish
SaddamHuseinovic wrote:Capitalism requires to grow to be able to pay credit back an a small interest rate. If an economy can not grow faster then interest rates the economy crash. Renewable Engergy gets thanks capitalism cheaper and cheaper.

I notice this as well. Capitalism seems to provide good levels of opportunity, but only when the economy is growing.

But I think the cause may be for other reasons than the one you describe.

This does of course seem to be an inherent flaw, since continuous growth that goes on forever is not really always possible or sustainable.

This obviously seems to defy common sense logic, because an economy shouldn't have to keep growing more wealth for things to remain the same.
By Herefordrob
Puffer fish-
Skepticism is understandable given history and that's my point things can and do change. The system is destroying itself at the expense of the majority. How the change will happen is yet to become apparent.
I would suggest you read, if you haven't already, Economics professor's @KateRaworth & @ProfTomJackson
Thanks for your comments.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

@FiveofSwords is unable to provide a scientific […]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]