"It's a Wonderful Life" perfectly illustrates the mind set after WWII, before 70 yr of neoliberalism - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
In 1946 "It's a Wonderful Life" was released. In the 70s and 80s its was THE Christmas movie because it was out of copyright. So, most of you have seen it as a result. For those who haven't or need a refresher, here is a link to 'Popcorn in Beds' 1st time viewing of it.

Link =>
Link =>

In it the hero is a small town banker [at a savings and loan, i.e. credit union], and the villain is also a small town banker [at the only bank].
George Bailey is a great guy who does business in the way that illustrates the mind set after WWII of the US and UK, and what became the mind set of the West and Japan. I summarize this as "We we all work together, we can do anything, even walk on the Moon".
Mr. Potter is has what is now the typical mind set of most businessmen in the West and maybe Japan.

George's mind set ushered in the Golden Age of the late 40s, 50s, 60s, and early 70s.
After 70 years of the 1% using their money to slowly change the mind set, with a new Economic theory of Neo-liberalism, we can now see the result of this change.

Some milestones of the path the 1% took us down are =>
1] The Powell Memo, 1971.
2] Nixon taking the US, and so, the world off the gold standard, also 1971.
3] The 1% begin to take over the media and the teaching of Economics. These will continue for the next 40 years, until now.
4] Reagan, 1981 - 88, being elected with a stealth campaign to support Unions, and then crushing the Air Traffic Controllers Union.
5] Reagan using MMT thinking (MMT would not be created until about 1993, but he used it anyway) to cut taxes and run up the deficit to triple or quadruple the national debt.
6] Bush I, 1989 - 1993, all later Repud Pres. did the same, only not to that extreme. Somewhere alone the line the Labor laws were slowly changed and so were the anti-trust laws, often by USSC decisions.
7] Pres. Clinton, 1993 - 2001, sold out the working class to enact 5 or 6 major 'achievements', i.e., NAFTA, end Welfare, reform criminal justice, deregulate the banking industry, deregulated the media, etc. These were all Repud dreams.
8] Bush II, 2001 - 2009, continued the Repud agenda.
9] Obama, 2009 - 2017, sold out everyone who believed his promise of Hope and Change. This made many voters very mad at their situation, so some voted for Trump because he also promised to help the working class. E.g., bring back all those lobs NAFTA destroyed, etc.
10] Trump, 2017 - 2021, had lied also, and sold out his working class voters.

I understand why so many people believe the Neo-liberal BS. I really do.

Nevertheless. it is all BS. The teaching of Econ. was changed to stop teaching the history of economic thought and instead teach the new theory that is like a religion, in that is not based on economic facts, but instead on assumptions that are used to prove conclusions. If the student rebels against this [because many of the most basic assumptions are obviously false, and in logic, you can't use false assumptions you say are true to prove things], he flunks out. After 40+ years of this, almost all of you have never been exposed to a theory of economics that isn't based just on false assumptions.
. . . Also, the 1% was able to buy outright all the MS Media after Clinton's reforms.

As a result of all the above, the mind set changed from "If we all work together, we can walk on the Moon" to "I've got mine, if you don't have yours, it's because you are inferior".

As a result of that, maybe 35% of the adult males are willing to use force to get what they want. We are maybe going to see outright Civil War or maybe a version of the Troubles in N. Ireland.
. . . Trust me when I tell you that if either of those 2 futures are what happens, you have an 85% chance that you will be devastated by what happens to you personally or to your family. It is not possible for there to be any other result. Violence and civil disorder will destroy the economy. The dollar will not the the world's reserve currency any longer, so imports will cost more. And we import a lot of food.

America, and the West in general, need to choose. Will it be a return to the Glorious Days of the Golden Age [with more civil right for minorities] or will we tear our nations apart? With nuclear weapons, who knows just how terrible this can be?
. . . MMT provides the economic framework for where to start economically. To this we should add rolling back many of the changes to labor laws, anti-trust laws, election laws, etc. We also need to get serious about ACC, aka GW.
Last edited by Steve_American on 26 Dec 2021 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah... I guess so.

I find it more than a bit depressing actually that people consider Die Hard a "Christmas Movie"(a good movie set during Christmas certainly, but one that doesn't have Christmas themes at all) Shows how nihilistic society has become since the Golden Age of Christmas Movies (40s & 50s).

Personally my Christmas favourite is actually 1941's Meet John Doe starring Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck. Capra's other underrated Christmas classic.

Full movie:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

It seems a critical moment in the conflict just ha[…]

The Crimean Tatar people's steadfast struggle agai[…]

NOVA SCOTIA (New Scotland, 18th Century) No fu[…]

If people have that impression then they're just […]